advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://nltimes.nl/2021/03/30/netherlands-blew-chance-invest-astrazeneca-vaccine-report

When the University of Oxford asked the Netherlands for a ten-million euro investment at the Halix vaccine plant in Leiden, it opened the door for the country, and likely the entire European Union, to gain access to millions more Covid-19 vaccine doses compared to what AstraZeneca delivered to the EU in the first quarter of 2021. The university's scientists were days away from securing the backing of the pharmaceutical firm for its AZD 1222 vaccine in late April when they approached the Netherlands with the request, anonymous sources told broadcaster NOS.

The Halix facility was already under contract to produce the Oxford vaccine even as clinical trials intensified. "There will probably be a huge demand for vaccines if they successfully pass the tests. Most likely, the quantities of available vaccines will be limited for several months," a letter from the university, received by Prime Minister Mark Rutte, stated. "To avoid major delays, production capacity must be increased now."

[...]

The broadcaster viewed key elements of the letter, which said that the investment would be used to reduce bottlenecks at the Halix facility. By that point, the British government had already committed to a 25-million euro investment at the Halix plant in Leiden, making it possible to produce 200-liter barrels of a vaccine.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/03/dutch-had-chance-to-invest-in-leiden-vaccine-maker-halix-nos/

The University of Oxford asked the Netherlands to invest in boosting production capacity at the Halix pharmaceuticals plant in Leiden in April last year, broadcaster NOS said on Tuesday. But although there were some preliminary talks, the deal disappeared from the negotiating table after AstraZeneca signed its deal with Oxford, NOS said. The broadcaster bases its claims on ‘background talks’ and a letter to prime minister Mark Rutte. It says that Oxford asked the Dutch government to invest €10m in Halix, around the same time as the British government put in €25m.

So, by Apr 20, the UK had invested 25M Euro into the plant and had a contract in place.

Public schoolboy confidently-stated bollox.

ET,

"The Halix plant which is 'strongly suspected' to have sent 'non-trivial' amounts of the AZ vaccine to the UK was apparently set up with £24bn of UK taxpayers' money, and was contracted early by the UK government to supply...the UK"

You've still not proved this assertion. I sounds like public schoolboy confidently-stated bollox like much of what you post. Delighted to be proved wrong.
If the UK had haggled for a few months they could have got a discount.

I’ll try to be clearer. Of course control of immigration was one reason among other reasons. Has anyone denied that? I’m talking about the type of control people want over immigration.

The statement made is below.

I believe many millions are in favour of controlling immigration by use of a points based system, relatively few wish to prevent immigration, certainly nowhere near 8 million, I doubt even 3 to 4 million.
My point was that poster resonated with people who wanted any kind of control over immigration.

Colin - what's your take on the VAT deferrment debacle that is currently ongoing with companies importing from the EU?
The fact there is many hundreds of millions ££ involved, nobody knows if it is going to need to be paid, then claimed back in a VAT quater somehow, creating huge black holes in cash flow etc, you know, the nut's n bolts that create all the wealth this country needs along with jobs.
The important stuff.

The article said £25million, you said £24billion. Does your accountant ever give you funny looks? ;)

Ah, yes, slip of the brain. I certainly didn't mean £24bn!

Mind you, the way money is being slung around like confetti at the moment, it's quite easy to get in a muddle!

I read somewhere earlier today the the total UK investment in vaccine development and production is actually in the region of £12bn.

Or at least, I think I did.

Colin - what's your take on the VAT deferrment debacle that is currently ongoing with companies importing from the EU?
The fact there is many hundreds of millions ££ involved, nobody knows if it is going to need to be paid, then claimed back in a VAT quater somehow, creating huge black holes in cash flow etc, you know, the nut's n bolts that create all the wealth this country needs along with jobs.
The important stuff.
Teething problems, it took 40 odd years to get to where we are and it will take several years to fully extract the UK.

Teething problems, it took 40 odd years to get to where we are and it will take several years to fully extract the UK.
Several years of VAT going awol - brilliant, cant wait.
In other words, not a clue.
They have had 5 years to get this sorted - it's HMRC, and this amount of money cannot be taken lightly.
Teething problems eh.

Several years of VAT going awol - brilliant, cant wait.
In other words, not a clue.
They have had 5 years to get this sorted - it's HMRC, and this amount of money cannot be taken lightly.
Teething problems eh.
Hi, my name’s Bill. I run a VAT carousel business and it just happens “I’ve got 500 staff on furlough”. Brexit has been a great business opportunity.

My point was that poster resonated with people who wanted any kind of control over immigration.
Yes, however, I was responding earlier to another member who made the statement that the poster resonated with people who wanted to prevent immigration. You responded to my questioning that remark by first saying you believed the poster resonated with 3 to 4 million people ( hence 3 to 4 million wish to prevent immigration ) then later increased that to half of the number who voted to leave the EU. More than 8 million people do not want to prevent immigration, a sizeable number do want control of immigration via a points system. Not the same thing.

Why has version XI of this thread run to over 100 pages?

I'm bored and want a shiny new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back