Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XII

Discussion in 'off topic' started by richardg, Apr 6, 2021.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Isn't it just. Still, without it this thread would have fizzled out several thousand pages ago.

2. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

I'm on your side for most things brexit.....I only have a microscopic view of the impact of Brexit (ie the motorbike accessories market) but my word the protectionist nature of the EU has been incredible for business for me, as I always thought it would.

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

We see criticism of the EU for being protectionist. Just by way of comparison, would people say it is more, less, or similarly protectionist when compared to the other big trading blocs, the USA, China, Russia?

4. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Yes, you just don’t want others in the UK to enjoy the same protections, we get that.

5. wacko

wacko pfm Member

What does protectionist mean ?
    It means protection of higher wages, IP of research, quality of product, quality of food, the effect on environment/security of self-sufficiency of food, recycling of waste, long-term view not spiral down on short-term prices etc
    Almost anything can be made cheaper if you don't care about quality or the environment.
    Ironically the UK is the least competitive (removing financial services) G7 country and we will see the result of Brexit over the next 10 years.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  6. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

7. Konteebos

Konteebos Traitor Re-joiner

I'm having a load of fun trying to get some IT Hardware through Greek customs at the moment - Brexit, the gift that keeps on taking...

8. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Hook likes this.
  9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Come along now. We all know the terminology is "Boris effortlessly slapped down furious Euro footy bosses" . Do try to keep up.

Hoopsontoast and TheDecameron like this.
  10. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

It means stopping people that are not in the club having what you have.

Brian likes this.
  11. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Wrong. There isn’t any hatred of the EU presented here, just valid criticism where appropriate, for example the shocking behaviour over vaccines. For the hard remainers there is no grey, either.

While there may not be hatred of the UK displayed here there is plenty of dislike, eg a lot of general comment that is not criticism or dislike of the tory govt.

12. Cav

Cav pfm Member

ET lite....

13. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Absolutely. GDP per capita of the EU is twice that of the world. Should they throw the doors open and halve it ?
    Or do what you did by voting your fellow citizens out of the club while you do everything you can to keep your business, and the benefits of staying, in it ?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

So you voted leave, left the UK and set up in the EU, and business in the EU is fine. I think the only bit you missed was "I'm all right Jack" . Well, you f*ed my business, and made my future life a lot more difficult, thanks a bunch.

Nick_G, SteveS1 and kendo like this.
  15. TheDecameron

Brexit was only ever for the little people.

16. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

Ah, that'd be the thick, uneducated ones.

17. TheDecameron

You could be forgiven for thinking that is the view of the Tories. Mogg tells them to vote for it then advises his clients to move their money with him to the EU. Lord Lawson curses the EU then applies for post-Brexit residence rights in the EU. Dyson and Ratcliffe exhort their employees and the wider public to vote for Brexit then move their factories out of Britain, in Ratcliffe’s case to the EU. The DUP demand Brexit then scuttle to get their Irish EU passports.
    The chickens will come home to roost EV.

MikeMA, PsB, sean99 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Brian

Where would the forum be without your thought provoking, on topic interjections, I wonder.... Must be frustrating that you don’t actually know how I voted in the referendum so you make it up.

We had a referendum and the vote was in favour of leaving the EU. These things have to be honoured.

19. Brian

So not for the little people after all. Increased your post count though. Well done.

eternumviti likes this.
  20. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

Both businesses are thriving, the uk and the EU one. It was what we thought would happen.

eternumviti likes this.