Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XI

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Stunsworth, Feb 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kabayiri

kabayiri pfm Member

How do you meaningfully separate out the damage caused by covid compared with the other effects caused by Brexit/other policy?

You just know that Boris is going to quote sheer numbers of billions thrown at the economy in the last year, as evidence of the government doing what it takes.

It used to be that the defining separation between Labour and Tory was just how much money they were willing to spend. In a post covid world, how do we even know if that will still be true?

2. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Nothing of the sort, more a case of recognising that we don't all sit in splendid isolation (except in lockdown).

The success and wider spread of wealth to fund decent services adds to everyone's sense of well being. A bunch of shysters claiming they will be re-distributing some mythical savings (Brexit has cost UK plc millions and will to cost many more) when the first evidence you have is them shovelling millions of taxpayer's cash into the hands of cronies during a health crisis - err, doesn't.

TheDecameron likes this.
  3. slavedata

slavedata pfm Member

TheDecameron likes this.
  4. kabayiri

kabayiri pfm Member

They would have still funneled cash into the same types of people without Brexit.

All modern governments have relied on a few big outsourcing agencies and IT firms. In a crisis like Covid, a few players can effectively define their own terms. IMO, too much outsourcing has happened since the 90s, both under Labour and Conservatives. Now we see the costs.

5. SteveS1

So Brexit helps how exactly? I know you don't what to accept any responsibility for it and you are not alone, but Tories being Tories doesn't change it and is no excuse. It should have been a hint. I shouldn't have to mention that there is a world of difference between outsourcing and shovelling cash into crony pockets without tender or scrutiny, but hey.

6. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Hi BarronBot Burp.

7. kabayiri

kabayiri pfm Member

Accept what responsibility?
    I am not responsible for government spending. I didn't sign off on the Brexit deal which was implemented.
    Were you looking for some sack cloth and ashes for 17.4 million people?

8. SteveS1

No just some acknowledgement that this is either a) not what you voted for so far or b) a roaring success and why. I don't care who the 17.4m blame next, it will always be someone else's fault obvs. That's where they started.

Cav and TheDecameron like this.
  9. kabayiri

kabayiri pfm Member

What we have is not what I voted for. But that doesn't mean to say my expectations match anyone else's. A sample set of one then.
    How does that help?
    I've voted in GE's before and not got what I expected, so it's not a surprise.

10. Colin L

Colin L LOU Attitude Adjuster

11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

12. Nero

Nero Wiped Clean

13. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

No you won't. The ship has sailed. A friend of mine has recently become a father. He can't put the baby back if he changes his mind, and nor can we now.

Cav, TheDecameron and ff1d1l like this.
  15. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Perhaps your friend will blame Boris.

16. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

17. kabayiri

kabayiri pfm Member

Just a book to sell.

I don't see any great insight here, apart from the fact that she and others were foolish to believe Cameron understood how the public would vote.

18. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Hard to argue with
    "She also claims some Brexiters are consumed with hatred for Germany and gripped by a myth that they liberated Europe on their own, describing Brexit as a triumph of emotion over reason, won by a campaign full of lies in which negative attitudes to migration were exploited by figures such as Johnson and Michael Gove."

TheDecameron likes this.
  19. Minio

Minio ... take a walk on the mild side...

Very true Sue.
    I was thinking of the sort that like to pigeon hole Brexiteers or Remainers as racists or snowflakes, or whatever.

20. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

No you weren’t. And even if you were, if somebody ‘pigeonholes’ somebody, they do it from their own personal perspective, not as a spokesperson for the general public.

You’re dissembling, because you got called out.

Minio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.