Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XI

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Stunsworth, Feb 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Not according your previous post. You seem to think that instead of demanding the Tory government spending is increased, they were content to reduce immigration. All it took was a mindless slogan to 'take back control' and their minds were right off austerity, government spending or lack of.

2. SteveS1

You have no more, or less "say" than you did before. Unless you can point to these things that were holding you back?

Covkxw likes this.
  3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Learned opinion of Rumpole of The Telegraph?

4. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

bit more of a threat to the U.K. than some imagined threat from Brussels.

Just because you know a “couple of people” in hi tech manufacturing does not mean the U.K. is a technological powerhouse, lots of countries have hi tech companies, Portugal, Croatia, .... it’s the percentage of the economy that is in that area that matters as you well know.Companies in Korea and Taiwan have committed to spend the ten billion plus to build the next generation of wafer fabs, I don’t remember any British company in any area making that kind of commitment to investment.

5. Colinb

Colinb pfm Member

6. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

Was that your plastic duck going 'quack', Russel?

7. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

Actually, no, but in an interesting development of the theme you will have already noticed that the Telegraph is this morning reporting that a group which includes David Trimble, (who you will recall as one of the chief architects of the GFA) has issued notification of intent to take not the EU but our own government to court. The case will rest on the premise that the 'NIP flies in the face of the Act of Union of 1800, and of the GFA.'

You heard it here first, weeks ago, in exactly the same words. I was told, several times, that I didn't know what I was talking about.

8. TheDecameron

The U.K. left the EU hole in tyre.

9. russel

That is third for VC capital, not investment overall. Yes, the UK has some good innovative companies, just not enough of them. If you look at the report the companies that they mention as unicorns include Trainline and a betting company neither of which are going to strike terror in the heart of the UKs peer competitors in tech.

10. TheDecameron

Yes, I scanned the list of companies mentioned- not exactly what I was expecting. The article read like an aspirational PR puff piece.
    Still, it’s great that Boris Johnson did so much to seed the market when he was MoL,

[​IMG]

Jenny Does Tech

11. russel

Yay!, Taiwan has TSMC market cap 600 odd billion dollars and the UK has Trainline 2.3 billion UKP, the UK is kicking butt there big time!

TheDecameron likes this.
  12. Nero

Nero Wiped Clean

I would. Not Johnson obvs

13. kabayiri

kabayiri pfm Member

It was far from a 'mindless slogan'.

It was a smart slogan, particularly because it could be interpreted on different levels.

Undoubtedly, when accompanied by the migrant poster, it could seem specific to an anti-immigrant stance.

But there is also the concept of change within it too, and who doesn't want to vote for something aspirational ?

Fwiw, I really don't know what you or I do with the racist or xenophobic group in the UK. I accept that everyone has the right to an opinion.

What's your suggestion? Would you ban their vote and then evict them ?

14. SteveS1

You could start by challenging mindless acceptance of a trite slogan, or the absurd conflation of immigration with a government's deliberate determination not to fund services or provide adequate infrastructure for the population as a whole.

You could be not so supine, when frauds are trying to divert your attention from their deliberate policy of enriching their backers and donors at the expense of the population as a whole.

Isn't your business non-EU immigration, in which case might be nice to preface your desire to reduce FOM in that context.

wacko and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  15. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Whatever the reason it certainly helped achieve a Brexit win.

16. kabayiri

kabayiri pfm Member

The UK economy has been open for decades. Many an aspirational company has been bought out by an international competitor.

This coincides with a time when capital shifts quickly and with it work.

If you or I buy our next phone/speaker/car/amplifier/etc from a company which production in China/nearby, then aren't we complicit in the global corporatist plans?

I thought hifi was one of the last refuges of a belief system which valued local entreprise. One where TCO was more important than the ticket price.

17. SteveS1

People prefer the idea of their situation being down to the fault of others - shock horror.

18. TheDecameron

All votes matter,

[​IMG]

mondie likes this.
  19. kabayiri

kabayiri pfm Member

So why couldn't my Leave vote be construed as just that, a challenge?

I've said this point before : I believe that if you support mass migration then you must reinvest the bulk of the benefits back into the places which are hit hardest by the inevitable change. If you do not take this approach, then you risk a political backlash. We have had mass change at a time of mass local authority budget cuts.

London could obviously cope much better with change compared with parts of the North. I recall a figure where spend per capita on public transport in London was 24 times higher in London compared to Sunderland. At some point, the voters in Sunderland are going to notice this.

20. SteveS1

They risk the backlash, but successfully divert it to the immigrants themselves. The Leave vote was not a challenge, it was acceptance of deflection. The voters in Sunderland will notice, so why don't they blame those responsible instead of those who were not?

Covkxw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.