advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly !

And after Brexit, they will come from the next up and coming place. So, people from Hong Kong might indeed come and find a decent life here. There will still be work and life and trade in years to come.

It makes sense really.
Yes, so why were you saying it's "a temporary fix"?

Do many from Hong Kong have much experience of potato picking or warehouse work, or the food industry?

Don't worry, there will be plenty of retirees from Spain in due soon who will find they have to work again to afford accomodation.

And once levelled up, people will return back to their home.

So where do our fruit and veg pickers come from then? Was it all a temporary fix?

When I was last in Poland the complaint was about the cheaper Ukrainians coming in for jobs. It seemed rather ironic.

I can understand why Poland joined the Union though. They have been a country pulled around for the last 150 years by their neighbours.

I asked the question. I didn't present it as an assertion.
Of course you presented it as an assertion. If ever I saw a rhetorical question, that's it. The first two sentences set the scene.

Cause or effect Colin. Try to think past zero-sum economics.

Low wages attract jobs and the EU is funding Poland to help infrastructure and development, raising standard of living and wages which means they then become a good market for the EU. A rising tide lifts all boats..

It lifts some boats a great deal more than others. Some are even left sitting on the seabed.

Using the same logic then, why didn't the EU offer the UK a harmonious transition and trading deal, thereby lifting our boats and helping us buy even more BMWs !

Precisely what I said some weeks ago, by doing exactly what Lord Shelburne did in the negotiations that let to the Treaty of Paris. The American negotiators couldn't believe the generosity of the British.

The payoff was an exceptional trading and strategic relationship that has endured, with one notable interruption and the odd hiccup, for 333 years.

Because any such offer requires something in return, and the UK rejected the things the EU needed, such as guarantees we wouldn’t undermine the ‘level playing field’, or commitments to agreed dispute resolution mechanisms, that sort of thing. If we’d been less hard line, we’d probably not be in quite such a buggers muddle now.

The EU level playing field is notable for its profound lack of actual levelness, and no amount of UK guarantees would have made a blind bit of difference.

.... The EU has always preferred to play a longer game.

Yes, hasn't it just.

now you’re just being silly.

How? He's nailed it.

Even I could see that it was posted half in jest. You’d have to be a lunatic to think he was serious.....ah..like you did.

You'd have to be a lunatic to think that the EU, which has a vast trade surplus with the 5th or 6th ranking world economy, would settle for a deal that allowed that economy to thrive, and thus further enrich itself?

Yes, I guess you're right, I would have to be a lunatic to think that.

You'd have to be a lunatic to think that the EU, which has a vast trade surplus with the 5th or 6th ranking world economy, would settle for a deal that allowed that economy to thrive, and thus further enrich itself?

Yes, I guess you're right, I would have to be a lunatic to think that.
hey, that’s just business.

Even I could see that it was posted half in jest. You’d have to be a lunatic to think he was serious.....ah..like you did.
Not entirely.

I'm the type who believes in the idea that history is there to learn lessons from.

One episode which always stuck in my mind, was how the Allies imposed quite draconian conditions on the Weimar republic after the 1st World War.

It sowed the seeds for internal resentment within Germany, which was harvested by a new party, the Nazi party, and we all know how that ended up.

It's a balancing act between protecting your own interests, and still keeping your newly divorced neighbour sweet.

Of course, it couldn't happen here, could it. Well, look how divisive and fractured the main parties look. This last 4 years has not left mainstream politics in a good light.

Today- N.Irish supermarket shelves empty, Scotland - hundreds of thousands of £ of seafood exports rotting. Mogg? - we’ve got our fish coming back, they’re jolly British fish. Even Ian Paisley and the DUP are after Johnson’s blood.
The UK is already dead.

Lesson 1 in the EU School of Business;

1. Select one one of your best clients.

2. F**k them over.

3. Sit back and see how well that works.

Not entirely.

I'm the type who believes in the idea that history is there to learn lessons from.

One episode which always stuck in my mind, was how the Allies imposed quite draconian conditions on the Weimar republic after the 1st World War.

It sowed the seeds for internal resentment within Germany, which was harvested by a new party, the Nazi party, and we all know how that ended up.

It's a balancing act between protecting your own interests, and still keeping your newly divorced neighbour sweet.

Of course, it couldn't happen here, could it. Well, look how divisive and fractured the main parties look. This last 4 years has not left mainstream politics in a good light.
The problem with your theory is how would they keep the handful of net contributors happy who are required to keep bailing out Titanic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back