advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't a Hard Remainer someone who fully buys into the EU project, including it's longer term goals?

That sounds logical to me.

I'd suggest that any person living here, who is of that philosophy, has possibly chosen the wrong place as their European home.
There are much more obvious candidate locations.

The UK has been notably cool on the EU mission, something which goes back decades.

My mates a trucker, and spends his week in Ireland from the UK and back, no idea what he's running, I assume 'tractor parts'.

Anyways, he's over the moon as got 250g of Amber Leaf for 68 quid on the ferry.

So far that is the only positive I have found, but then again I am a remoaner or whatever were called.

S

Isn't a Hard Remainer someone who fully buys into the EU project, including it's longer term goals?

That sounds logical to me.

I'd suggest that any person living here, who is of that philosophy, has possibly chosen the wrong place as their European home.
There are much more obvious candidate locations.

The UK has been notably cool on the EU mission, something which goes back decades.
The term "Hard Remainer" doesn't make much sense, as Remain was just the status quo (only one variety available), but it just makes Brexiters feel better. Using it now makes even less sense now that the UK has left, but never mind. "Hard Brexiter" makes sense, as there could have been different versions of Brexit: soft Brexit (EEA style or similar), Hard Brexit (what the Tories chose to go for), etc.
You could make a case now for "Hard Rejoiner", but that would suppose a debate about rejoining, which doesn't appear to excite anybody on either side, except perhaps in some of the devolved Nations.

I think it was a crude slip. Translates as ‘na, na, na na-na’.

A bit early in the piece to be crowing too, because despite the advantages of earlier supplies, smaller territory and denser population - I wouldn't put it past Johnson's clowns to fvck it up. Certainly the lengthening times between jabs is beginning to look iffy.

You could make a case now for "Hard Rejoiner", but that would suppose a debate about rejoining, which doesn't appear to excite anybody on either side, except perhaps in some of the devolved Nations.
If we believe in learning lessons, then IMO one could be that it's important to ask voters the right question.

When leaving, that could have been "what do you want to leave to?"
And when rejoining, "what do you want to rejoin as?"

It seems pointless to me to be a peripheral member of the EU. It must push ahead with the integration started by the Euro. I didn't see much point in being one of those nations in the outside lane.

So how many here would sign up as full blown EU fans? (It's a valid preference, just as any)

If we believe in learning lessons, then IMO one could be that it's important to ask voters the right question.

When leaving, that could have been "what do you want to leave to?"
And when rejoining, "what do you want to rejoin as?"

It seems pointless to me to be a peripheral member of the EU. It must push ahead with the integration started by the Euro. I didn't see much point in being one of those nations in the outside lane.

So how many here would sign up as full blown EU fans? (It's a valid preference, just as any)
You're assuming this was a lesson that hadn't been learned at the time. As far as the ERG - the architects of Brexit - are concerned, the correct question was asked, because they got the result they sought.

We won't get options if and when we apply to rejoin. The terms we join on will be much the same as everybody else has, no doubt including the Euro.

The EU itself has provision for 'semi detached' states on its periphery, it's the EEA. I agree its a bit pointless, unless the alternative is complete separation. There is an argument to say that being literally detached does lend us a degree of semi-detachment, Iceland similarly.

Reactions: PsB
The term "Hard Remainer" doesn't make much sense, as Remain was just the status quo (only one variety available), but it just makes Brexiters feel better. Using it now makes even less sense now that the UK has left, but never mind. "Hard Brexiter" makes sense, as there could have been different versions of Brexit: soft Brexit (EEA style or similar), Hard Brexit (what the Tories chose to go for), etc.
ISTM that hard Brexit by degrees is still a possibility. There are food shortages in N.Ireland already due to inadequate planning/ infrastructure provision by HM Gov and the first solution jumped to in some quarters is pressing the Section 16 eject button on the Northern Ireland protocol inviting retaliation by Brussels.

Indeed, at the time EV had indulged in some extensive tech-Googling or more likely Daniel Hannan’s blog and was waxing lyrical about blockchain and other goodies. The invisible border that no one would notice was there.
Seem to remember I offered him a substantial bet that no technical solution would be implemented within two years. Bite there came none, so he obviously didn't believe it either.

Brian says these are people who have stated they don't accept the result of the 2016 referendum and just want it overturned.
When Brian is asked to cite examples of people on here saying that - he ignores the question, we must assume he hasn't found any.
Brian says these people are awful and undemocratic, which they would be if they existed.

Meanwhile, many here would like another vote on Brexit featuring the reality, as it appears to be somewhat different to the unaccountable fantasy promises. That isn't ignoring the vote because we left the EU and Brian knows that. But Brian doesn't want another vote, even though that is more democracy not less, because he wishes to cling on to an outcome he favours regardless of the consequences. An informed vote when people know what it really means would obviously threaten that.

So when Brian says people who he hasn't been able to identify are 'undemocratic' - you may feel there is much irony involved.
They do exist. The Lib-Dems promised to revoke A50 without a referendum at the last election and got 3.7 million votes (over 10% of the total). That's a significant anti-democratic, hard-Remain rump, even if not all Lib-Dem voters were comfortable with that policy.

There were certainly people on this forum who defended the Lib-Dem position. I remember it vividly because it was the most upsetting moment of the entire election campaign for me - the moment I knew that all was lost, and that we were condemned to at least five more years of far-right Tory government and a hard Brexit.

In any case, my definition of a "hard Remainer" would be a little broader. Some people voted Remain in 2016 and got on with the rest of their lives when the referendum result was announced; others spent four years complaining about the result and fighting it any way they could. The latter are hard Remainers (degree of hardness varies). And a lot of the former voted to "Get Brexit Done" because they were fed up of the latter.

Me !

PS. I think I'd better turn the sign in the avatar over. The way it is, the train's coming back to Calais. I think I want to be going the other way.
I prefer Briancon to Calais too, so I'd be thinking the same. Actually Briancon is rather remote in January. Bourg d'Oisans might be better.

And a lot of the former voted to "Get Brexit Done" because they were fed up of the latter.

And the rest, I suspect, resigned themselves to it being s**t when it happened so better to get it over and start rebuilding ASAP.

I suspect they're the sort of people that pull a sticking plaster off in one rather than fannying about millimetre by millimetre.

They do exist. The Lib-Dems promised to revoke A50 without a referendum at the last election and got 3.7 million votes (over 10% of the total). That's a significant anti-democratic, hard-Remain rump, even if not all Lib-Dem voters were comfortable with that policy.

By voting Lib Dem then, you would have known what you were getting - how is a party standing for election on a commitment anti-democratic? It may have been crass strategy but it wasn't anti-democratic. Getting in without standing on it, producing that plan once in office without having campaigned on it, now that would be.

Besides that ignores the fact that nobody here advocated overturning a vote without another - unless you can cite examples? All sorts of opinions exist outside of the forum, they are not debating this thread.

it was the most upsetting moment of the entire election campaign for me - the moment I knew that all was lost, and that we were condemned to at least five more years of far-right Tory government and a hard Brexit.

This I agree with.

Seem to remember I offered him a substantial bet that no technical solution would be implemented within two years. Bite there came none, so he obviously didn't believe it either.
Wait until Covid is sorted with massive unemployment in its wake, that could well focus minds on both sides of the channel.

Wait until Covid is sorted with massive unemployment in its wake, that could well focus minds on both sides of the channel.

Hoping someone else will solve a self inflicted problem? Because let's face it, in your normal dishonest way, you don't mean minds on this side of the channel.

There were certainly people on this forum who defended the Lib-Dem position. I remember it vividly because it was the most upsetting moment of the entire election campaign for me - the moment I knew that all was lost, and that we were condemned to at least five more years of far-right Tory government and a hard Brexit.

In any case, my definition of a "hard Remainer" would be a little broader. Some people voted Remain in 2016 and got on with the rest of their lives when the referendum result was announced; others spent four years complaining about the result and fighting it any way they could. The latter are hard Remainers (degree of hardness varies). And a lot of the former voted to "Get Brexit Done" because they were fed up of the latter.
That’s an election manifesto pledge. You get to vote for it or not, so it would fit with most people’s definition of democracy. Also I think you need to look a little closer to home Drood to explain the upsetting outcome of the election. Labour tried to ride the Brexit pig, it trampled them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back