Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Discussion in 'off topic' started by kabayiri, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

Maybe it's time we start a topic about the positive effects of Covid...

Covkxw and TheDecameron like this.
  2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

As SteveS1 says. Where have I refused to acknowledge a change? The salient point is that we find ourselves about to run a marathon. Which we now have to start having shot ourselves in the foot. Well done you.

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

EVangelical.

tuga and Nick_G like this.
  4. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Indeed it is very different. In fact it's a bit of a bloody stupid idea to do a hard Brexit in the middle of the worst pandemic in 100 years. Any sane government would have put the process on hold until the crisis was over, but hey-ho. Mustn't grumble...

5. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

If they put Brexit on hold due to Covid the government would lose the perfect opportunity to blame a serious downturn on Covid. Covid in this sense is a silver lining for Boris.

6. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Thanks, and while I take your point, there is rather more to a nation state’s functioning than economic growth. My view is that economic activity is what pays for the stuff the state does, it’s not what the state is for. I’m also sceptical that the conventional growth model is sustainable, so would prefer to look elsewhere for the long term route. Bear in mind also that government short-termism is often driven by what will play nicely with business. So I’m not really looking to rely on the source of many problems to provide the solution to them.

kabayiri likes this.
  7. TheDecameron

Well it even has its own political faction- “the Covid recovery group” same membership as “the European research group” Same purpose- to profit from the adversity suffered by others.

8. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

They can always claim that, after all, it was the will of the people. The Seventeenmillion...

9. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

Yes.

10. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

Well, apart from the fact that the effects of brexit certainly aren't unique to the UK.

11. kabayiri

kabayiri pfm Member

The timing is terrible.
    Taking more than 4 years to implement is also poor.
    Do you not think that Brexit fatigue was a major factor in the last GE? Voters were sick of the topic IMO.

"Get Brexit Done" ... sloganeering at it's worst.

12. TheDecameron

What’s even more bizarre is that Johnson is actively damaging to business with no attempt to not f*** it, apart from the coterie of party and personal donors who’s bus truly arrived with Covid. For the first time in memory, the Conservative Party put nativism in front of economic well-being.

roman likes this.
  13. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK I had amnesia once or twice...

That's Monday. Maddy on Tuesday, Statin's Wednesday, Pension boost on Thursday and Arctic blasts on Saturday. Friday is set aside for foreigner threat and Brexit. :)

roman, Nick_G, stevec67 and 2 others like this.
  14. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Except it mainly is of course, especially for the nearly 80% that is not covered by any "deal" crap or otherwise.

15. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

Which makes Britain even more vulnerable in my view.

16. Seeker_UK

We're smart enough to look at the wider picture.

17. Seeker_UK

No, but we caused them.

roman, TheDecameron and tuga like this.
  18. kabayiri

kabayiri pfm Member

I didn't really look at the source tbh. I think a link popped up on my phone.

It might surprise some, but the only newspaper I have an ongoing subscription with is the Daily Mirror.

19. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

To an extent yes, but how do you excuse the sheer laziness involved in not checking for themselves some of the many ridiculous claims that were made for them? Being receptive to empty slogans just encourages deception.

20. TheDecameron

I think he was celebrating collateral damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.