advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you name at least one leader of your party you approved of?

Now that would make for an interesting thread, have there ever been any political leaders with widespread approval.

I suspect it would only occur when the economy was providing most people with contentment (£).

I'm a businessman who imports goods from Europe, and aware of the part that even old tech has played in cross-border shipments for years, including the NI border, an actual yet invisible international border which crosses two entirely distinct tax jurisdictions.

Where did you pluck that apparently random question from?

I'm afraid that there's nothing I can do to help you with things that don't ring true for you.
EV, your Anglosphere- it’s devouring itself. Trump has taken America down and Johnson and his party have done the same here.

Things have moved on. Trump will be spending his weekends playing golf in Scotland. If you're lucky you might even get his autograph.

Things have moved on. Trump will be spending his weekends playing golf in Scotland. If you're lucky you might even get his autograph.

"Moved on". You wish. Conservative Trump toadies squirming away on Today as some of their admiration for the orange lunatic is played back to them. I wonder if the English Nationalist rhetoric about human rights lawyers, Johnson wishing that Trump was negotiating Brexit, gurning pictures with their hero etc., will be dialled down as a result. These clowns are all part of the same fact-free style and are not averse to subverting democracy.

How did Brexit affect GBP to USD?
The British Pound fell 13% against the US Dollar in the two weeks following the Brexit referendum. The Pound fell in value as Brexit created uncertainty for trade, emigration and the legal system going forward.

How did Coronavirus impact GBP to USD?
The GBP to USD exchange rate fell 12% within the space of two weeks in March 2020. Investors sold the Pound in favour of the perceived safety of the US Dollar.

So there is more to life than just Brexit ?

And more to history than just the 23 June 2016. Or the Brexit pound as it was called for the former.
I get your irony but I'm not sure what point you're really trying to make. Covid had a temporary effect on the USD/GBP rate, Brexit has had a durable impact. The dollar has its own ups and downs. Sterling dropped versus the euro in 2016 and has stayed low. Life goes on, of course, death and taxes ditto .

Last edited:
"Moved on". You wish. Conservative Trump toadies squirming away on Today as some of their admiration for the orange lunatic is played back to them. I wonder if the English Nationalist rhetoric about human rights lawyers, Johnson wishing that Trump was negotiating Brexit, gurning pictures with their hero etc., will be dialled down as a result. These clowns are all part of the same fact-free style.

"Beware those men, the jokers, the tricksters and the clowns. They will laugh us into hell."

"Moved on". You wish. Conservative Trump toadies squirming away on Today as some of their admiration for the orange lunatic is played back to them. I wonder if the English Nationalist rhetoric about human rights lawyers, Johnson wishing that Trump was negotiating Brexit, gurning pictures with their hero etc., will be dialled down as a result. These clowns are all part of the same fact-free style and are not averse to subverting democracy.
donald-trump-twitter.jpg

The world is soon to be rid of Trump, when will the Conservative Party get shot of the tribute act?

...meanwhile, Lord Hannan of Lima explains again what Brexit’s really always been about-

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-consumer-worker-protections-brexit-b1783331.html
“A leading Tory credited with inspiring Brexit has urged Boris Johnson to cull a raft of EU consumer and worker protections, now the UK has the freedom to act.

Safeguards for the use of data, pay and conditions, GM foods, hedge funds, dangerous chemicals and the disposal of environmentally-damaging vehicles should all be binned, Daniel Hannan said.
“Change is coming. To succeed outside the EU, we need to be fitter, leaner and more globally engaged,” said the former MEP, who has just been made a Conservative peer”.

Sterling dropped versus the euro in 2016 and has stayed low.

Exchange rate[edit]
In June 2003, Brown stated that the best exchange rate for the UK to join the euro would be around 73 pence per euro.[15] On 26 May 2003, the euro had reached 72.1 pence, a value not exceeded until 21 December 2007.[16] During the final months of 2008, the pound declined in value dramatically against the euro. The euro rose above 80 pence and peaked at 97.855 pence on 29 December 2008.[17] This compares with its value between March and October 2008, when the value of the euro was about 78 pence, and its value of about 70 pence between April 2003 and August 2007. With the impact of the global financial crisis of 2008 on the British economy, including failing banks and plunging UK property values,[18] some British analysts stated that adopting the euro was far preferable to any other possible solutions for Britain's economic problems.[19] There was some media discussion about the possibility of adopting the euro. On 29 December 2008, the BBC reported that the euro had reached roughly 97.7 pence, due to poorer economic forecasts. This report stated that many analysts believed that parity with the euro was only a matter of time.[20]

During 2009, the value of the euro against the pound fluctuated between 96.1 pence on 2 January and 84.255 pence on 22 June. In 2010, the value of the euro against the pound fluctuated between 91.140 pence on 10 March and 81.040 pence on 29 June. On 31 December 2010, the euro closed at 86.075 pence.[24][25][26][27][28] A report in Britain's Daily Telegraph argued that the high euro had caused problems in the eurozone outside Germany.

There was a fairly steady decline in the euro rate during 2013, 2014 and 2015 from 85 pence to 70 pence. During 2016, the pound declined against several currencies, meaning the euro rose, especially on 24 June 2016 (because of the EU referendum) when the euro rose from 76 pence to 82 pence and further the following days.[29]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite...wn stated,value dramatically against the euro.

So which of the above exchange rates should the 'Brexit pound' be ?
The best for holidays abroad and imports, or for those exporting to the EU.

Tory Brexiteer classic line. Air brush reality and throw in a really funny line about golf in Scotland. Lets be blunt and honest. Brexit occurred because of the same type of carry on that we see in the states. Don't think you are on the right side of history not that it bothers you. Just don't try and slither away from it. Own it and wear it as a badge of honour.

Brexit occurred because of the same type of carry on that we see in the states. Don't think you are on the right side of history not that it bothers you. Just don't try and slither away from it. Own it and wear it as a badge of honour.

Spot on, but to be fair, EV has, through his extensive word salads on this thread, made some cogent points about the EU, which deserve to be considered. I respect that.
However, he is in the minority of Brexit voters. It's the others we should be worried about. Those that have effectively been disenfranchised by our politicians, both left and right, and were given their only opportunity to kick them in the shins. Don't blame them for taking it. But the Brexit fallout will probably hit them hardest, and when they work that out, there's going to be trouble. Brexit was a side show, which we all have to live with unfortunately.

So which of the above exchange rates should the 'Brexit pound' be ?
The best for holidays abroad and imports, or for those exporting to the EU.
Nobody gets to chose the rate, supply and demand in FX markets determine it for you. For the last 4 years, sterling has been 15-20% below where it was before the referendum, versus the euro (a currency Brexiters regularly assure us is in terminal decline).
Generally but not always, weak currencies reflect either troubled economies or economies strongly dependent on exports.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-consumer-worker-protections-brexit-b1783331.html
“A leading Tory credited with inspiring Brexit has urged Boris Johnson to cull a raft of EU consumer and worker protections, now the UK has the freedom to act.

Safeguards for the use of data, pay and conditions, GM foods, hedge funds, dangerous chemicals and the disposal of environmentally-damaging vehicles should all be binned, Daniel Hannan said.
“Change is coming. To succeed outside the EU, we need to be fitter, leaner and more globally engaged,” said the former MEP, who has just been made a Conservative peer”.

Didn't people know this already? There were definitely comments about the Singapore model, during the campaign.

I thought the whole point of mass migration is to turn manpower into a commodity.

The world is soon to be rid of Trump, when will the Conservative Party get shot of the tribute act?

...meanwhile, Lord Hannan of Lima explains again what Brexit’s really always been about-

Can't 'like' that Dec, of course.

Johnson did say that the Tories were not immediately going to discharge waste onto beaches.

They even wrote a book about what they would do when they had the power. That's what Brexit (for them) was all about. Johnson is their useful idiot. He had plenty of followers.

It shouldn't come as surprise when we give them what they've always wanted.

Here we go. Getting rid of pesky restrictions already.

Stephen

Tory Brexiteer classic line. Air brush reality and throw in a really funny line about golf in Scotland. Lets be blunt and honest. Brexit occurred because of the same type of carry on that we see in the states.
Brexit occurred because of a p1$$poor Remain campaign, let's face it.

I thought Remain held all the cards, but they blew it.

Can you post a link for this? I don't recall it during the campaign, and can't find any reference to the Singapore model prior to 2017.
I remember a discussion on the MSE forum, but that's all gone now.

Personally, I think the UK is miles away from this Singapore model. We are just not the same sort of society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back