advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... IIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but the goods can come from anywhere in the world and not sail Dover to calais.
Goods from anywhere in the world are mostly coming to Europe via Rotterdam. It's not like a DPD van, these humungous container ships can't just drop off a few in Liverpool or Hull, on their way past.

Goods from anywhere in the world are mostly coming to Europe via Rotterdam. It's not like a DPD van, these humungous container ships can't just drop off a few in Liverpool or Hull, on their way past.
If we build it, they will come. Just possibly.
Or not.
Why would they?

I had the misfortune to listen to that odious Tory Boy Gove earlier who kept talking about opportunities after Brexit. Have they finally accepted that there are no actual benefits to Brexit?

Yes but the goods can come from anywhere in the world and not sail Dover to calais.
They already come from all over the world and into Harwich, Hull, Immingham. The Dutch are hardly going to truck stuff to France when they can come out of Amsterdam or similar and go straight to hull or Newcastle.

I like this

'What does Check, Change, Go actually mean? It is being widely interpreted on social media. “Check what Boris Johnson said during the referendum campaign; change your plans to visit the EU; go back to the 1970s,” sums up the general mood.'
I was 12-22 during the 70’s. I had a great time, tbh, having left school and joined the Services in 1975.

I had the misfortune to listen to that odious Tory Boy Gove earlier who kept talking about opportunities after Brexit. Have they finally accepted that there are no actual benefits to Brexit?
I doubt it, but so what, anyway.

When will you finally accept there is nothing you would accept as a benefit of brexit?

They already come from all over the world and into Harwich, Hull, Immingham. The Dutch are hardly going to truck stuff to France when they can come out of Amsterdam or similar and go straight to hull or Newcastle.
That's correct more traffic by container from outside the EU and less traffic Calais to Dover.

The UK’s New Start. Lets Get Going.
Are the sweet potatoes coming direct to Port of London from Burkina Faso?

Last edited:

Well, since the trade deals With “anywhere in the world” were almost certainly with the eu, which the U.K. will no longer be a part of being as it will have left, then any good will have to come in under WTO terms which means they will need all the paperwork that goods from the EU will need, so what is the benefit?.

I'd like to know how all the lettuces that are grown in their millions in Spain and driven to the UK for consumption are going to get here without going through Europe as they presently do. Dutch tomatoes are going to have an equally hard time.

I'd like to know how all the lettuces that are grown in their millions in Spain and driven to the UK for consumption are going to get here without going through Europe as they presently do. Dutch tomatoes are going to have an equally hard time.

Well funny you should mention it but JRM enterprises has a shell company in Bermuda that imports tomatoes and lettuce, these are then sold to another shell company and shipped back to the U.K. for only 20% more than we pay now. Luckily JRM doesn’t have to pay any tax on these profits as a Britain is no longer in the EU.

Well funny you should mention it but JRM enterprises has a shell company in Bermuda that imports tomatoes and lettuce, these are then sold to another shell company and shipped back to the U.K. for only 20% more than we pay now. Luckily JRM doesn’t have to pay any tax on these profits as a Britain is no longer in the EU.
Oh good. I'm so pleased that every time I have a salad I'm ensuring that JRM doesn't die in penury, and helping him to avoid paying tax.

Perfect solution. I have a plum tree as well, if I harvest all the available fruit and freeze it I might have enough for say 2 or 3 plums a week for the whole year. That will cut down the food miles. I don't want imported fruit anyway, in the brave new world that has such things in it. Cabbages and potatoes are enough for me.

Perfect solution. I have a plum tree as well, if I harvest all the available fruit and freeze it I might have enough for say 2 or 3 plums a week for the whole year. That will cut down the food miles. I don't want imported fruit anyway, in the brave new world that has such things in it. Cabbages and potatoes are enough for me.

Your plums will be requisitioned (ooerr !) as part of HM Government's post-Brexit "Jam & cheese powerhouse" strategy.

All ok then.

Your plums will be requisitioned (ooerr !) as part of HM Government's post-Brexit "Jam & cheese powerhouse" strategy.
No, of course they won’t. :)

What is this Jam & cheese powerhouse strategy? Got a link? :D

A big trebuchet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back