advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the world shut down expensive cars had a slowdown due to Trump battles in the US and in China due to their dispute with Trump. Whether EU car manufacturers can pass a 10% increase onto customers remains to be seen. People i know have received a hefty discount buying German cars online, or buying pre-registered (under 20 miles). Then there is the contract market that has grown in recent years where owners can hand back the car after 2 years.

Bear in mind also that German cars are price-inflated in UK (known as Treasure Island) so they can easily absorb the 10%. Not only that, what effect would 10% have on the monthly payments - not enough for most buyers to think again (sorry, should have said 'renters') Very few of the German car makers offer zero % finance anyway - their interest rates on new cars vary between 5 and 11% (*sweeping statement alert).

I think a problem will arise soon when renters won't be able to cover the payments on existing deals, let alone rent a new car. This won't be very much to do with Brexit and tariffs.

Come on Col, how about you answer a question for a change? Which is it, a deal and therefore threatens BINO, or no deal and to Hell with Nissan?*

"The UK's largest car manufacturing plant is "unsustainable" if the UK leaves the European Union without a trade deal, owner Nissan says."

*Note: It is one or the other and pointing at some perceived problem outside of the UK that is nothing to do with it, is not an acceptable answer.
Maybe this is Nissan under pressure from the French side, where the grants will still be flowing. Why they have not returned to Japan like the other manufacturers,as tariffs reduce with cheese and wine, is a bigger mystery.

Maybe this is Nissan under pressure from the French side, where the grants will still be flowing. Why they have not returned to Japan like the other manufacturers,as tariffs reduce with cheese and wine, is a bigger mystery.

I guess that their former boss being a fugitive from Japanese justice might have something to do with Nissan not following the other manufacturers.

I feel very sorry for everyone at the Nissan factory in Sunderland. They are easily the most productive of the Nissan/Renault factories in Europe but political factors outside their control will probably lead to the closure of the plant.

The Telegraph has found a benefit of takin back control-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ys-3m-people-hong-kong-will-get-path-british/
Boris Johnson says 3m people in Hong Kong will get path to British citizenship
PM offered to make what he says would be one of the "biggest changes" in the history of the British visa system

..still, mustn’t grumble, it could have been 70 million Turks what was comin in.
The truth is, nobody said 70 million Turks "was comin in".

You’re just quibbling, rather than engaging with the issue, though. It was, implicitly and in some cases explicitly presented as 70 Million Turks acquiring the right to free movement, and therefore by implication to work in the U.K. Doesn’t really matter than not all of them would, to the target audience, does it? Just ask yourself, if it didn’t matter, why did Vote Leave make such a song and dance about it.

Let's start with these two.What do you think people thought the message was?

clGUYEw.jpg

BtKsVLG.jpg

Clean Break Brexit= Nissan Sunderland closure.

Let's start with these two.What do you think people thought the message was?
It's irrelevant what I thought the message was but if you want to know, the first one doesn't say to me that 77m Turks 'are comin'.

What is your issue with the second one? The suggestion more countries may join the EU in future seems fair to me.

Yes apologies, it was 76 million. My mistake.
Yes, I told you that the other day but carry on with your cut and paste.

Clean Break Brexit= Nissan Sunderland closure.
I read that today.

Trouble is, hard remainers have claimed the Nissan mackem plant will close just by the fact of the UK leaving the EU. Now you're saying it'll close only if there is no deal. So if we leave the EU with a deal, are you now saying the Nissan plant will continue despite the predictions of closure for the last 4 years?

It's irrelevant what I thought the message was but if you want to know, the first one doesn't say to me that 77m Turks 'are comin'.

What is your issue with the second one? The suggestion more countries may join the EU in future seems fair to me.

So even more Turks, worse than we thought. It’s normally EV who does the pedantry when the going gets tough.

I read that today.

Trouble is, hard remainers have claimed the Nissan mackem plant will close just by the fact of the UK leaving the EU. Now you're saying it'll close only if there is no deal. So if we leave the EU with a deal, are you now saying the Nissan plant will continue despite the predictions of closure for the last 4 years?
Your avatar is well earned. You need to go back and quote what I posted to let folk see what I said rather than what you imagine I said.

You're being obtuse. What do you think those arrows from Turkey to the UK are supposed to convey?

I understand your frustration with "hard remainers" and, to some extent, share it, but I think this kind of nit-picking and refusal to acknowledge some of the fundamentally racist and xenophobic messaging from the Leave campaign only harms your argument.

You're being obtuse. What do you think those arrows from Turkey to the UK are supposed to convey?

I understand your frustration with "hard remainers" and, to some extent, share it, but I think this kind of nit-picking and refusal to acknowledge some of the fundamentally racist and xenophobic messaging from the Leave campaign only harms your argument.
No, I'm not being obtuse and I'm not frustrated by hard remainers at all, just disappointed that some think it's ok to lie while complaining about the lies from others. It's hypocritical, but no surprise there.

By the way, I take it for granted most people accept there was some racist messaging from the leave campaign, so I'm not at all sure when you got the idea I have ever denied that.

Your avatar is well earned. You need to go back and quote what I posted to let folk see what I said rather than what you imagine I said.
I know exactly what you said, I even put it in bold for you, Hugh. I suggest you need to go back and read what I posted.

I'm glad you like the sealion. You can thank one of your mates for that.

Hugh we have had similar posts from you recently regarding Nissan closure, it must have come as a disappointment when they announced Renault models to be built at Sunderland.
Actually it came as a bigger disappointment when I heard the Nissan Global COO Ashwani Gupta say this morning that Sunderland is unsustainable if Britain fails to secure tariff free access to the EU market.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/manufacturing/nissan-warns-north-east-plant-18353874

The fundamental message that we did not have control of immigration was true, unless of course a temporary emergency brake was agreed by the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back