advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And while they are reducing from 650 to 450, they can increase the number of women MPs to closer to half. I don't care how they do it.

And while they are reducing from 650 to 450, they can increase the number of women MPs to closer to half. I don't care how they do it.
So long as they are recruited from supermarkets and hospitals etc
You really don't want 200 Liz Truss and Priti Patel clones

The easy thing to grasp about Brexit is that it’s entirely congruent with existing Tory behaviours- the theft of money, the lies, the gross incompetence in government administration, the smearing of political adversaries and our allies, the illegality involved in delivering it and at the top of the heap, the same incompetent, deceitful moral vacuum posing as Prime Minister.

EV, you seem to take an interest in CAP/farming. Your thoughts on this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...y-environmental-land-management-scheme-brexit

My thoughts are mixed. The area-based subsidies which formed the central axis of the CAP were patently wrong - 10% of farmers being handed 50% of the available subsidies, making rich landowners the biggest benefits claimants on the bloc(k). On paper ELMS sounds good - the Sustainable Farming Incentive seeks to reduce inputs of chemical fertilisers, herbicides and pesticides and to improve soil structure, but will keep land in production. Local Nature Recovery, the successor to the Countryside Stewardship scheme (which will continue alongside it to begin with) is designed to encourage the restoration of wetland areas, natural drainage, trees, hedges and habitat creation within and alongside productive land. Landscape Recovery will support large scale restorations of habitats and ecosystems, and will take land out of agricultural production altogether.

It is inevitable that these schemes will face backlash from the agrochemical industries, and from large landowners who are unsurprisingly very happy with the CAP's area-based payments. The essential for me is balance - we cannot afford to continue scorched-earth agriculture, but we also have to produce sufficient food. The other problem is, of course, bureaucracy - this is so onerous in the existing Countryside Stewardship Scheme that it is disincentivising farmers from taking it up, and I know of one who dropped out because of it. I very much doubt that DEFRA's notoriously leaden hand will be any less so under the proposed ELMS schemes.

I see Liz Truss is getting very serious now on the protocol. Very technical deep dive stuff here appealing to the cook in all of us. Be curious if she was sitting in a tank when making that statement with a ushanka on her ceann.

Liz Truss: The problems of the Northern Ireland protocol are baked into the text

Meanwhile outside the kitchen Richard Neal thinks a little differently on it . He spoke to RTE last night and was very clear that the problems are manufactured by the British government.

Speaking to the Seanad today before departing to Belfast he advised the following.

Mr Neal said Brexit poses "unprecedented challenges for the island of Ireland", and warned that "we're losing institutional memory in the UK".

"Any incautious move to undo the Protocol, would put at risk this durable agreement that we helped to create", he said.

"We need courage, dialogue and leadership from all sides", he added. "Everybody gave up something" to get to this point.

"America will continue to nudge and nurture this agreement", he said.

EV, they need a better class of victualer at Brexit Head Office. Any advice for them?

9B3U2Zr.jpg

-obviously it wasn’t just the petrol station sandwiches that were half cut in there

lGbCx43.jpg

Away the lads!

May popped up the other week to remind anyone who was listening that:

“I put a deal before the House that met the requirements of the Good Friday Agreement and enabled us not to have a border down the Irish Sea or between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Sadly, the Democratic Unionist party and others across the House (i.e. our own World King) chose to reject that.”

EV, they need a better class of victualer at Brexit Head Office. Any advice for them?

9B3U2Zr.jpg

-obviously it wasn’t just the petrol station sandwiches that were half cut in there

lGbCx43.jpg

Away the lads!

From BBC Politics:

Another insider describes how a custodian, a Downing Street security guard, was mocked when they tried to stop a party in full flow.

"I remember when a custodian tried to stop it all and he was just shaking his head in this party, being like, 'This shouldn't be happening'."

"People made fun of him because he was so worked up that this party was happening and it shouldn't be happening."

More like Britain Unhinged.
Liz is about to get Northern Ireland done.

The Express is getting wood at the prospect:

Brexit row explodes as Liz Truss eyes exact date to enable UK to rip up hated EU deal
THE UK Government is set to introduce legislation which will allow Liz Truss to unilaterally abandon the Northern Ireland protocol in less than two weeks' time.

Kaboom eh?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back