Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition)

Discussion in 'off topic' started by stevec67, Jan 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhv

mhv pfm Member

2. wacko

wacko pfm Member

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

5. TheDecameron

What happened to the great Ministerium for Exiting the European Union? The tens of thousands of new officials who would graduate from Gove Academy, don their hi viz jackets, pick up their clip boards and manage our new customs border with the EU? And now the Victorian Lavatory Chain is sacking 90,000 civil servants, the money from which ‘could go toward tax cuts’ in time for the next general election.

They’re turning Britain into Venezuela, a failed petro-state but with shit weather.

6. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^ if only the UK had the oil reserves that Venezuela has.
    Or the women.

eternumviti likes this.
  7. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Is this all there is?

The Cabinet Office has confirmed that all could go on voluntary redundancy terms. That pays one month salary for each year worked, capped at 22 months.

Even if the CS who go are only those recruited since 2016, that's 6 months' salary (CS median £27k - https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/civil-service-median-salaries-by-uk-region-and-grade) @ £13.5k = £1.2Bn. Of course, the ones who will go are likely to be those with more months under their belt, so could see a maximum one-off bill of £4.5Bn. Or, over twice the income from a windfall tax on energy providers (https://www.theguardian.com/politic...the-energy-windfall-tax-and-how-would-it-work)

Whilst that has long term savings, it's not the quick fix ahead of 2024 that it is being spun as.

8. wacko

wacko pfm Member

When are they reducing the number of MPs ? From 650 to 450 sounds about right.

9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Rainfall figures are comparable. Average there is c850 mm, ours 1100. Both countries have wetter mountainous areas to the west.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

To be fair we do have a decent supply of women in the UK. They may not look the same as those in Venezuela, but that's a detail.

11. TheDecameron

Alright…their foods better.:)

stevec67 likes this.
  12. tones

tones Tones deaf

Nice article from today's Irish Times:

David McWilliams: I have a terrible neighbour, and so do you
    Boris Johnson doesn’t want to ‘get Brexit done’. He wants to keep Brexit going

The final paragraph:

Fixing England will take many decades and huge investment to have even a chance of success. That task is well beyond the present government, even if they wanted to build foundations now. Far easier to wave the false flag, create phoney conflicts, threaten smaller countries like Ireland and put the theme of The Dam Busters on repeat.

It’s so tiresome to have a neighbour like this.

MikeMA, Mystic Mac, tonerei and 5 others like this.
  13. eternumviti

eternumviti Wittering on the Vine

The weather's very nice down here.

14. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Same here. Tory Brexit, however, is, and always will be, shit.

15. TheDecameron

You don’t want a filled potty too long in the lorry in hot weather!

16. eternumviti

eternumviti Wittering on the Vine

Your amusing post on Unwin was taken in the spirit in which it was meant, worry not. I just couldn't resist my slightly barbed response into a rather beautiful open goal that I never expected to be a match winner, for exactly the reasons, well-anticipated, you have now articulated

I remain intrigued by your many detailed elaborations on MMT, and your suspicion that I mightn't be clever enough to comprehend it is not wide of the mark. The reason why I never responed to your kind PM of a few months ago remains that I simply haven't found the time and mental capacity to attempt to absorb it.

I see quite a bit of one of the young economics graduates that I mentioned, and I will indeed convey your points to him, ensuring that I do so well before I have taken any drink!

17. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

My point there was not so much that we might be too dim to understand the answers, but that the answers are not based on truth. As an example, if I were to get into an argument about the existence of God with St Thomas Aquinas, I doubt I would understand his arguments, but that would not make what he says convincing. Aquinas might be cleverer than me, he might win the argument, but he would still be wrong. Hence my suggestion that rather than asking about MMT, you ask for proof the Monetarist assumption about the role of tax, and if you don’t understand the answer, be suspicious, not of your own capacity to understand, but of an answer that does not lend itself to ready comprehension.

I don’t think it is so much that economics is itself that difficult to understand as economics has been made difficult to understand by economists. Economists hide their secrets behind the complex language of maths in much the same way that priests and theologians of old hid behind Latin and obscure philosophical arguments.

18. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

Sorry about the late reply Nero I was away at a little show in Munich so a bit distracted. No unfortunately not I pay the subscription as my wife enjoys the Irish Times on a Saturday. Like all of these things the prices are creeping up all the time.

Nero likes this.
  19. matt j

matt j pfm Member

It's ok @eternumviti said it's all down to P&O, nothing to see here, move along.

Mystic Mac likes this.
  20. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

So they can stand far enough apart not to overlook each other`s phones?

TheDecameron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.