advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's news to EV.
That reminds me of when a journalist asked Gerry Adams what the IRA’s position was and he replied “you’d have to ask them that” and someone quipped “well, theyre standing right next to you”

TwAh50X.jpg

Blimey, I'm being compared to Gerry Adams now. Does that mean my writing will have to be dubbed by a novelist?

What was that? Did somebody just say it already is?

Stanley Unwin?

Of 'gobbledygook' fame, no less. I'm moved, of course.

I recently attended a dinner party, and amongst the guests were four sensationally bright young economics graduates (variously Oxford/Stanford/LSE/Yale and combinations thereof). During pre-dinner drinks I was moved to request their considerations on Modern Monetary Theory - frequently expounded here in the past by no less than yourself - and by extraordinary coincidence Unwin's noun (amongst several others, accompanied by some colourful adjectives, unrepeatable here) played a significant part amongst the replies.

I'm sure you can imagine the level of emotion, even piquancy, that I feel that it should have been you, rather than, say, TheDecameron, who offered up the suggestion as to the identity of my ghost novelist.

I can just imagine you penning a typically gushy article for the parish council magazine- “Tomorrow Belongs To Them”. Even the brightest, bright young things will struggle to put Humpty Brexit together again though.

Last edited:

I recently attended a dinner party, and amongst the guests were four sensationally bright young economics graduates (variously Oxford/Stanford/LSE/Yale and combinations thereof). During pre-dinner drinks I was moved to request their considerations on Modern Monetary Theory - frequently expounded here in the past by no less than yourself - and by extraordinary coincidence Unwin's noun (amongst several others, accompanied by some colourful adjectives, unrepeatable here) played a significant part amongst the replies.

I'm sure you can imagine the level of emotion, even piquancy, that I feel that it should have been you, rather than, say, TheDecameron, who offered up the suggestion as to the identity of my ghost novelist.
Ogdens Nut Gone Flake.

Sounds like a blast, that’s a party to file away in the memory bank for sure.

Last party I went to involved…………….on second thoughts, best not.

But did your illustrious guests say why they thought MMT was gobblegook. And if they did, was it in a language you could understand, or was it all intellecnode econbolics?

(Small bet that it was based on the usual mantra that government spending always leads to inflation?)

I certainly quite quickly lost track, but I'm certain there was no mention of government spending always leading to inflation.

I do hope my Stanley Unwin comment was seen as complementary to the self deprecating tone of you post, rather than a suggestion that you have spoken gobbledegook. I read all your posts with interest because that are always well written and well informed. I don’t always, or even often, agree with them, but they are not gobbledegook.

Also, back onto MMT. If you ask about the merits of MMT you will get a predictable reaction that is based on economic assumptions that are built in to all economics courses. If you get another opportunity to discuss economic realities with the likes of the sensationally bright economists at your dinner, perhaps, rather than asking about MMT, ask the basis of their own deathly held assumptions; ask in what way tax actually funds our government spending, why a government deficit is a bad thing and when the government ‘borrows’, how is that government debt an asset for rich investors but a liability for the poor taxpayer.

If you come away not understanding the answers it could be because they are very clever and you are not. On the other hand, it could be that, like priests and theologians, they have spent such a long time studying well rehearsed arguments that they long ago stopped questioning the basis of the assumptions from which their arguments derive

For the few, not the many... An exciting BrExit day so far.

Stanley Johnson ‘delighted’ after gaining French citizenship
‘Magnifique’, responds prime minister to news his father’s application has been successful

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...er-stanley-johnson-secures-french-citizenship
Turnip soup and locally grown produce will not be for Stanley once trade sanctions kick off on Brexit Island. Stanley will be getting himself a nice little place in France to ride out any difficulties. Brexit was only for the little people.

I thought Stanley Johnson was EUtrash elite, not brexit. He was pretty much a Brussels lifer. I very much doubt he was a brexit voter.

I’d like to see Stanley and the wider clan sanctioned if Johnson breaks international law. Ban the lot from EU countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back