Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr neither here nor there

2. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

[​IMG]

Spotted in the news rack of local supermarket on the walk home this eve.

tuga, Kirk, Barrymagrec and 1 other person like this.
  3. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

No that's Boris.

4. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

I've just discovered that Lord Sutch's Official Monster Raving Loony Party advocated for an "al dente" Brexit, rather than hard or soft. Sounds like an appetizing prospect.

Spraggons Den, Nero and TheDecameron like this.
  5. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

What? Coming over here and taking our jobs and clogging up our health system and getting free houses! We will have to get an Irish Farage to patrol Dun Laoghaire and turn them back in their boats. Can't they just go to Rwanda? :D

6. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr neither here nor there

Perhaps a flaccid Brexit?

7. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

It has flopped certainly...

8. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Electile failure.

9. laughingboy

laughingboy pfm Member

From today's parliamentary debate on the draft Northern Ireland Protocol bill, as per video on Twitter (here):

Hilary Benn:
    "In the light of the comment she [Liz Truss] has just made about Article 16, why is the government not proposing to use the legal method to raise these questions with the EU through the treaty that it signed, rather than one claiming necessity when the Foreign Secretary is yet to give me a single example of when the British Government has claimed necessity for abrogating a treaty that is as negotiated and signed?"

Liz Truss:
    "Madam Speaker, the reason I am putting this bill forward is because I am a patriot...and I'm a democrat."

What a dishonourable answer: we are proposing to break international law because we are patriots and democrats. Remind me, what was it Samuel Johnson said about patriotism?

10. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

Haha I saw that at the airport on the way to, er, Yurp, and it made me smile in a bitter sort of way

11. Graham B

Graham B pfm Member

It’s pathetic - Truss won’t give a proper answer because there’s nothing she could say in response to that.

They should use A16 if there was a genuine case for it, but then they would have to produce incontrovertible evidence of harm instead of hot air and lies.

The tories have painted themselves into tighter and tighter corners with their lies about the ‘hated’ brexit deal which they proposed, negotiated, agreed and signed, and they won’t be able to continue bluffing forever.

They will cause increasing economic damage and continue to try and brush it off. Two more years of this will take us to a really bad place.

Covkxw and Brian like this.
  12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The Bill passed in the HoC by 74 votes, so the Tories have broken an internal law they themselves originally negotiated. They have made the UK a total laughing stock and the GFA will now likely fall apart. Floundering clueless shitheads.

martin clark likes this.
  13. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

This is bad, and sadly on trajectory.

14. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 pfm Member

And the costs will be written in blood.

15. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Crazy
    Hideous
    Stupid

16. Graham B

Graham B pfm Member

I noticed that lots of members had no vote recorded, including my mp James Cleverly. Does this indicate some kind of rebellion, or that they may not support the bill when it comes back to the HoC? Normally he supports the govt position without question.

17. Kirk

Kirk pfm Member

Donaldson:

"Many of the laws that now regulate how we trade with the rest of the United Kingdom are made by a foreign entity over which we have no say whatsoever. And that foreign entity was set up by the Treaty of Rome. And we all know who lives in Rome - the Pope! The people of Ulster will never accept laws made by the Roman Pope and his minions in Brussels."

18. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

That`s pretty deep stupid even for a DUP guy.

tuga and Spraggons Den like this.
  19. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Sounds like a speech reserved for the Ulster sectarian demographic but if he as a politician actually believes this stuff, he’s an even bigger fruitcake than I imagined. You can guess where this lot will head next in terms of civil liberties.

Fascinating how the Brexit movement echoes the same desire to turn the clock back and reinstate a supremacist monoculture.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Theresa May went further and stated in the HoC:

I asked myself three questions:

Is it legal?

Will it achieve its aims?

Does it maintain the standing of the UK in the eyes of the world?

The answer to all three questions is no”

I’ve obviously no time for May given her ‘Hostile Environment’ complete with its Nazi ‘go home vans’, Windrush etc, but she is absolutely right here. Britain Trump has taken a country he has already raped, trashed, and has now rubbed our face in his shit on the world stage. This international law-breaking self-immolation will add countless years to the decades it will take the UK to recover from the damage the Tories and their Brexit have caused. Why the hell would any other country want to deal with this failed state? From now on we can expect little beyond dubious deals with tyrants, monarchs and religious murderers such as Saudi etc as no one else will want to go near us.

martin clark likes this.