advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ask again, so none of to do with the EU then?

Indirectly. Portugal was mainly agriculture and fisheries, and some OEM footwear and clothing. Joining the EEC changed that to mostly tertiary and bucketloads of Uni graduates. Most European funds were directed to large construction, and industry that kept both main parties on a tight leash together with the large Banks. Poor strategy, small-mindedness, gullibility and corruption mainly. World economy more than the EU.

You hate the EU, as do many Brits, thanks to a smearing campaign by the right-wing tabloids and the Tories. Most continental Europeans like the EU.

Grease-Mop said it would take 50 years before Brexit would produce any benefits. Do you believe him?

Indirectly. Portugal was mainly agriculture and fisheries, and some OEM footwear and clothing. Joining the EEC changed that to mostly tertiary and bucketloads of Uni graduates. Most European funds were directed to large construction, and industry that kept both main parties on a tight leash together with the large Banks. Poor strategy, small-mindedness, gullibility and corruption mainly. World economy more than the EU.

You hate the EU, as do many Brits, thanks to a smearing campaign by the right-wing tabloids and the Tories. Most continental Europeans like the EU.

Grease-Mop said it would take 50 years before Brexit would produce any benefits. Do you believe him?

blimy only 50 years …in all probability we will be 4 separate countries by then …interestingly some of my acquaintances who rather naively voted for brexit and should have known better have moved to Europe ..so enjoying the good health care , great roads , train services ! Need I go on .
Brexit was purely based on ideology rather than reality !

blimy only 50 years …in all probability we will be 4 separate countries by then …interestingly some of my acquaintances who rather naively voted for brexit and should have known better have moved to Europe ..so enjoying the good health care , great roads , train services ! Need I go on .
Brexit was purely based on ideology rather than reality !

Most Leave voters will be dead in 50 years...

If I remember correctly, Farage hailed this (cheaper labour for the NHS) as a BrExit advantage in the Oxford Union debate.
Did he? What does that have to do with the discussion? Does Farage post here? Any of his advisors? Anyone who even likes the bloke?

VxThwJM.jpg

:D Superb, love how you pull these out of the hat. I have given up the troll is on permanent repeat not worth engaging.

As bad as it is living in a country dragged down the shit-hole by racist morons and highly-educated fools, it must be worse when you realise; "I voted for this..."

I suspected that your viewpoint was somewhat Portugalcentric, and so it has turned out to be. It is certainly true that circumstances in each of the countries which required bailouts in the EZ sovereign debt crisis were unique, and that Portugal's specific issues (low growth, excessive public sphere, corruption etc) long predated 2012, or even 2007/8. I find it fascinating though that you brush over the part played by the Euro (and thus the EU, and it's institutions) as though it were all of only minor effect and consequence.

I would suggest that you have succumbed to a far greater degree of propaganda than I, a dark art at which the press office of the European Commission is notoriously adept.

My own objections to the project of European political integration long predate those of the Tory party, which was very pro-EEC, and are far more informed by the opinions on the matter of the late Tony Benn, a British politician who dominated the left wing of the Labour Party at the time of UK accession, and indeed long afterwards.

I'd hate to suggest you go and do some reading, perhaps from sources other than The Guardian, as it would make me as rude and presumptive as yourself (albeit less struttingly cocksure), but I do feel that your field of vision might be quite narrow.

It’s made us realise how much we enjoyed being a part of one of the largest trading blocks in the world , not to mention all that great food and wine that we now need a passport to enjoy !

I think you'll find we always needed a passport, though it was a rather fabulous Burgundy-coloured one.

... interestingly some of my acquaintances who rather naively voted for brexit and should have known better have moved to Europe ..so enjoying the good health care , great roads , train services ! Need I go on...

A bit naughty of them. I'm quite intrigued as to how they managed to do so, though, as we're constantly assured on here that it is no longer possible for a Brit to live in Europe?

Who didn't what? (you've given up reason)

Two, 50 or 100 years: when do leavers think Brexit will pay off?
Jacob Rees-Mogg says the benefits of leaving the EU may not be felt for 50 years – and he’s not the only Eurosceptic asking the people of Britain to wait patiently
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ars-when-do-leavers-think-brexit-will-pay-off

Yes, he didn't say that either, but as you insist on using the Guardian as your main source of reference, I suggest that you actually read the piece. You'll find what he actually did say a few lines in.

I suspected that your viewpoint was somewhat Portugalcentric, and so it has turned out to be. It is certainly true that circumstances in each of the countries which required bailouts in the EZ sovereign debt crisis were unique, and that Portugal's specific issues (low growth, excessive public sphere, corruption etc) long predated 2012, or even 2007/8. I find it fascinating though that you brush over the part played by the Euro (and thus the EU, and it's institutions) as though it were all of only minor effect and consequence.

I would suggest that you have succumbed to a far greater degree of propaganda than I, a dark art at which the press office of the European Commission is notoriously adept.

My own objections to the project of European political integration long predate those of the Tory party, which was very pro-EEC, and are far more informed by the opinions on the matter of the late Tony Benn, a British politician who dominated the left wing of the Labour Party at the time of UK accession, and indeed long afterwards.

I'd hate to suggest you go and do some reading, perhaps from sources other than The Guardian, as it would make me as rude and presumptive as yourself (albeit less struttingly cocksure), but I do feel that your field of vision might be quite narrow.

Your selective reading is amazing. Have I not mentioned the Euro (but left out the EU)? The Euro which Portugal and Greece joined of their own free will, and whose Governments had the power to set the conversion rate.

Yes, he didn't say that either, but as you insist on using the Guardian as your main source of reference, I suggest that you actually read the piece. You'll find what he actually did say a few lines in.

I watched the clip of his LBC interview. You can Google, can't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back