advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting Bloomberg thread (Twitter) that highlights just how much of the UK’s economic decline is Brexit related. The tldr is it isn’t going to get any better.

I just don't get twitter. I tried, but the thread seems to be simultaneously about the Brexit effect on inflation, Boris lobbying for a job for his wife in the FO, bankers bonuses, the Human Rights Act, and some court case in America.

Twitter is definitely the route to madness.

I just don't get twitter. I tried, but the thread seems to be simultaneously about the Brexit effect on inflation, Boris lobbying for a job for his wife in the FO, bankers bonuses, the Human Rights Act, and some court case in America.

Twitter is definitely the route to madness.
Here you go,

The UK will be stuck with searing inflation for years because of Brexit, according to strategists at Wall Street’s top banks.

Citigroup Inc., Bank of America Corp. and Standard Bank all see the UK as a outlier in the developed world because of the economic damage wrought by the decision to cut ties with the European Union. Even as price pressures start to fade elsewhere, they say UK inflation will be higher-than-normal because of immigration controls and supply chain disruption. A report Wednesday showed price pressures hitting a fresh four-decade high.

They’re also saying the pound will fall further against the Euro to about £1=€1.1

Ah, right, yes I saw most of that. It isn't quite as exciting or revelatory as I thought it was going to be. It corresponds broadly with what many sources have already said.

It corresponds broadly with what many sources have already said.

Indeed. We said it long before the vote too. The thing that pisses me right off is our fascist overlords absolutely denying that it is a key factor in the ‘cost of living crisis’. They try to spin it all as being covid and Ukraine related when there are so clearly three factors, and Brexit is the reason we are doing so much worse than anywhere else this side of the heavily sanctioned Russia.

Indeed. We said it long before the vote too. The thing that pisses me right off is our fascist overlords absolutely denying that it is a key factor in the ‘cost of living crisis’. They try to spin it all as being covid and Ukraine related when there are so clearly three factors, and Brexit is the reason we are doing so much worse than anywhere else this side of the heavily sanctioned Russia.

one day the penny will drop with the electorate at large that Brexit has failed, but it will take considerably more time unfortunately. Perhaps another 5-10 years.

Britain needs to become noticeably poorer and the quality of life noticeably worse than its EU neighbours before many will wake up.

Of course, the quality of life is already worse for those who are paying attention (like many of us here on PFM).

Here you go,

The UK will be stuck with searing inflation for years because of Brexit, according to strategists at Wall Street’s top banks.

Citigroup Inc., Bank of America Corp. and Standard Bank all see the UK as a outlier in the developed world because of the economic damage wrought by the decision to cut ties with the European Union. Even as price pressures start to fade elsewhere, they say UK inflation will be higher-than-normal because of immigration controls and supply chain disruption. A report Wednesday showed price pressures hitting a fresh four-decade high.

They’re also saying the pound will fall further against the Euro to about £1=€1.1

But it's OK the Euro is going to fail (one day).

It does make you wonder what it will take for the fingers to come out of the ears. The 'exaggerated' concerns that it would take the UK back to the 70s are fast beginning to look like an underestimate. All helped by the corrupt grifters who now have open season to loot as so many voters turn a deaf 'un having invested their faith in something that is so clearly self harm.

one day the penny will drop with the electorate at large that Brexit has failed, but it will take considerably more time unfortunately. Perhaps another 5-10 years.

Britain needs to become noticeably poorer and the quality of life noticeably worse than its EU neighbours before many will wake up.

Of course, the quality of life is already worse for those who are paying attention (like many of us here on PFM).

More people going on holiday would notice if they weren't too pissed or too entitled...

^The article you linked to says gas (North Sea and LNG) is the big factor offsetting Brexit trouble. Interesting note at the end on gas storage capacities in Europe as a whole.

6th anniversary today. 6 years and still no positive effects that I can see. Did you see what I did there? Folded in the thread title :)

^The article you linked to says gas (North Sea and LNG) is the big factor offsetting Brexit trouble. Interesting note at the end on gas storage capacities in Europe as a whole.

It isn't a particular long or difficult article to get through. Basically the increase in exporters is all down to price increases in Gas/Oil.
Noted the worrying note about storage facilities for the UK. That's a shame it seems the search for a positive continues.

'UK fuel exports rose by £500m on the month, driven by gas and crude oil to the Netherlands and Ireland, in a sign of heightened demand on the continent to refill gas storage sites in the run-up to winter.

Much of the rise in total goods exports was driven by the rising value of fuel prices rather than volumes of other products. After adjusting for inflation, goods exports were the highest since December 2020, the last month before the Brexit transition ended.'

There’s nothing like taking atypical data to ‘prove a point’. Every bit as bogus as Johnson trumpeting ‘we had the highest growth in the G7 last year’. Once you have a PM selling snake oil of this vintage you know you’re done for.

The inflation will really hit the elderly gammon pensioner demographic who many view as the main ‘marks’ for the Brexit project as their savings are now dropping in value by pretty much the inflation rate year on year.

Most younger folk understand fully what Brexit was and stand firmly against it. With every Tory erosion of our basic human rights and freedoms they will feel ever more cheated out of their future. There will be a tipping/breaking point ahead somewhere. I don’t know what the current polling is, but I’d not be surprised if there was a very clear majority for rejoining the EU even now, let alone once the current Tory-driven economic collapse and ever-upward wealth redistribution really hits home over the next 18 months or so. The post-Brexit UK is a dumpster awaiting the fire.

6th anniversary today. 6 years and still no positive effects that I can see. Did you see what I did there? Folded in the thread title :)
Yes, sadly it’s the 6th anniversary of a minority complaining endlessly how a democratic vote didn’t go the way of remain, many of whom helped the tories to a GE majority in 2015 with a referendum in their manifesto. Perhaps such folk don’t bother themselves with understanding what a party plans to do...

Passing judgement just over 2 years after such a huge change, most of that time during a global pandemic, is obviously premature. We have to wait and see, there is no choice on that because we have left. The key choice now is electing a competent party to lead the country from 2024.

For anyone who mistakenly believes we left the EU 6 years ago, here is a link from a non-UK source that shows the date we left. I believe it.
https://www.government.nl/topics/br...l-the-united-kingdom-leave-the-european-union

Yes, sadly it’s the 6th anniversary of a minority complaining endlessly how a democratic vote didn’t go the way of remain, many of whom helped the tories to a GE majority in 2015 with a referendum in their manifesto. Perhaps such folk don’t bother themselves with understanding what a party plans to do...

Also six years of sanctimonious tripe like this ^^^^

Happy Anniversary, Dear!

Also six years of sanctimonious tripe like this ^^^^

Happy Anniversary, Dear!
Sanctimonious tripe? You really do like to blurt out such tripe in the wrong direction. Other than ignoring a democratic vote I suspect we want the same thing, pretty much.

What I wrote is reality and I suggested a realistic solution. It says a lot about you that you think it sanctimonious tripe.

And today BJ has had the same time ( 3 yrs.) as the Maybot was allowed.
The electorate gave him a huge majority, even remainers are on generally board with Brexit due to the referendum outcome.
I would even argue that Covid could have worked as a buffer while policies and strategies for Brexit were drawn up and implemented.
The actuality is scarcely believable, all that time and goodwill has been squandered by IHMO an unempathetic government led by a politically and morally incapable leader and filled with a rabble of sycophant followers w/o any moral compass or original thought between them.

And today BJ has had the same time ( 3 yrs.) as the Maybot was allowed.
The electorate gave him a huge majority, even remainers are on generally board with Brexit due to the referendum outcome.
I would even argue that Covid could have worked as a buffer while policies and strategies for Brexit were drawn up and implemented.
The actuality is scarcely believable, all that time and goodwill has been squandered by IHMO an unempathetic government led by a politically and morally incapable leader and filled with a rabble of sycophant followers w/o any moral compass or original thought between them.
Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back