advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe there's a third way? Northern Ireland can leave the UK, but not join Ireland. That way, both factions get some, but not all, of what they want. Isn't that the art of compromise, of negotiation?
The little statelet has never been self-sustaining, even when its industries (shipbuilding, linen) were booming. Great linen mills, such as this one, opposite the street where I grew up, stand silent and deserted:

brookfield-mill-belfast-1530027217.jpg

and H&W narrowly escaped closure. Norn Iron relies on vast infusions of UK taxpayers' money to keep it afloat. So, someone, somewhere has got to pay for it. Any buyers?

That has been suggested, with the refinement that the plug is then pulled...

^ Fine with that - as long as you do us a favour and bring that other troublesome plot lying between here and the mainland (of Europe that is) and agree to do the two at once :)

The little statelet has never been self-sustaining, even when its industries (shipbuilding, linen) were booming. Great linen mills, such as this one, opposite the street where I grew up, stand silent and deserted:

and H&W narrowly escaped closure. Norn Iron relies on vast infusions of UK taxpayers' money to keep it afloat. So, someone, somewhere has got to pay for it. Any buyers?

How about all those that voted Leave? ;)

Sadly, that'll be around for a wee while yet. There was a big meeting on Irish reunification in Dublin at the weekend, studiously avoided (naturally) by the Unionists. Unfortunately, it was reminiscent of Mark Twain's comment about the weather - everyone talks about it, but nobody ever seems to do anything about it. No plans beyond "wouldn't it be a good idea, if..." At least Leo Varadkar had a clear view of the size of the task, of how to incorporate two diametrically opposed points of view into a single country. ^The Shinners were, as usual, firmly in "If I ruled the wortld, every day would be the first day of spring" territory. So, alas for everyone, Liz will have her Northern Irish club for a while yet.
Seems some economic assessment recently suggests the cost will only be €4B a year to subsidize. Reality is until the demographics move to 60-40 split and preferably 70-30 it is hard to see any agreement being possible. It would still require a 'normal' British government and an acceptance that the Germans would probably be best placed at handling integration after the work they have done themselves.

When I was in my 20s I always bought Stephen’s Bros of Strabane shirts for wearing to work.

Steve Baker apologies to EU and Ireland for way he and some colleagues did not respect their concerns about Brexit

Steve Baker, the leading Brexiter and former chair of the European Research Group, has acknowledged that he and some of his Brexiter colleagues did not always fully acknowledge EU and Irish concerns about Brexit.

Speaking at on the stage at the Conservative conference in his capacity as a Northern Ireland minister, Baker also apologised for what had been said in the past. And he revealed that he had apologised in person to leading Irish figures.

Referring to his reputation as a Brexit “hard man” (a term he coined himself, although he says it was a joke), he said:

The thing I want to add is, as one of the people who perhaps acted with the most ferocious determination to get the UK out of the EU, I think we have to bring some humility to this situation. And it’s with humility that I want to accept and acknowledge that I and others did not always behave in a way which encouraged Ireland and the European Union to trust us to accept that they have interests, legitimate interests, that we’re willing to respect – because they do and we are willing to respect them.

And I’m sorry about that. Because relations with Ireland are not where they should be and we all need to work extremely hard to improve them. And I know that we are doing so.

The demise of Her late Majesty gave us an opportunity to meet leading Irish figures, and I said that to some of them. ‘I am sorry that we did not always respect your legitimate interests.’

And I hope they won’t mind me saying I felt the ice thawing a bit.

Baker also said it was time to reset relations and make sure the UK and Ireland went forward as “closest friends and partners” and to reinforce the Belfast Good Friday agreement before its 25th anniversary next Easter.

Baker did not explain in detail what he meant by not acknowledging the EU’s legitimate interests. But some Brexiters were happy to downplay, or ignore, the EU’s concern that Brexit would undermine the single market without a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, which nobody wants. He may also have been referring to the way Brexit was imposed on Northern Ireland even though 56% of people in Northern Ireland voted for remain.

Baker’s comment may help to explain why Micheál Martin, the taoiseach, said earlier today that he thought the UK government was serious about getting a solution to the Northern Ireland protocol.

But Baker also stressed that his apology did not mean the protocol was acceptable. He said the government would resolute about getting it changed.

(via The Guardian).

Steve Baker apologies to EU and Ireland for way he and some colleagues did not respect their concerns about Brexit

Steve Baker, the leading Brexiter and former chair of the European Research Group, has acknowledged that he and some of his Brexiter colleagues did not always fully acknowledge EU and Irish concerns about Brexit.

Speaking at on the stage at the Conservative conference in his capacity as a Northern Ireland minister, Baker also apologised for what had been said in the past. And he revealed that he had apologised in person to leading Irish figures.

Referring to his reputation as a Brexit “hard man” (a term he coined himself, although he says it was a joke), he said:

The thing I want to add is, as one of the people who perhaps acted with the most ferocious determination to get the UK out of the EU, I think we have to bring some humility to this situation. And it’s with humility that I want to accept and acknowledge that I and others did not always behave in a way which encouraged Ireland and the European Union to trust us to accept that they have interests, legitimate interests, that we’re willing to respect – because they do and we are willing to respect them.

And I’m sorry about that. Because relations with Ireland are not where they should be and we all need to work extremely hard to improve them. And I know that we are doing so.

The demise of Her late Majesty gave us an opportunity to meet leading Irish figures, and I said that to some of them. ‘I am sorry that we did not always respect your legitimate interests.’

Baker also said it was time to reset relations and make sure the UK and Ireland went forward as “closest friends and partners” and to reinforce the Belfast Good Friday agreement before its 25th anniversary next Easter.

Baker did not explain in detail what he meant by not acknowledging the EU’s legitimate interests. But some Brexiters were happy to downplay, or ignore, the EU’s concern that Brexit would undermine the single market without a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, which nobody wants. He may also have been referring to the way Brexit was imposed on Northern Ireland even though 56% of people in Northern Ireland voted for remain.

Baker’s comment may help to explain why Micheál Martin, the taoiseach, said earlier today that he thought the UK government was serious about getting a solution to the Northern Ireland protocol.

But Baker also stressed that his apology did not mean the protocol was acceptable. He said the government would resolute about getting it changed.

(via The Guardian).
He’s doing the full ERG but in a faux Christian, person-centred, compassionate conservative manner. It’s an interesting gambit as a junior minister but I think even he knows he’s out of his depth with the EU and Washington and if he doesn’t it’s going to be a ‘steep learning curve’. It ain’t going to be a prayer meeting he’s invited to by von der Leyen.

(via The Guardian).

There's a really easy solution to all this. Rejoin the SM/CU. It's in everyone's best interests.

The end of Global Brtain?

"Jacob Rees-Mogg said Boris Johnson’s plans for a new royal yacht are not in the “realms of reality” as he suggested it should be scrapped.

The business secretary described it as a “ship that has sailed”, as he said the “glorious distraction” set to cost 250 million could not go ahead in a cost-of-living crisis."

(via the Guardian)

This is worth a watch. Tories going off Brexit?

It may be too late. Would the EU want the UK back in now ?
Many EU countries have benefited from relocating UK business.
The UK will be viewed as a troublesome and untrustworthy partner.

Another reason we need to remove the Tories.

I think it’s too late, not necessarily because the EU might not want us back (I think that could change if we had a government that wasn’t utterly dysfunctional and ideologically hidebound); but rather because rejoining would mean joining the Euro. I’d never support that. The best option for us now is undoubtedly the EEA, IMHO.

It's too late to reverse and too soon to reenter. There needs to be a comprehensive demonstration that it was a really, really stupid idea, and that's going to take pain and time served.

Reactions: PsB
Now all that Brussels employment red tape is gone, benefit claimants will be digging toxic sludge out of Tees estuary with shovels in return for their universal credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back