advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's a one off, money laundering scheme for some low level criminals in one kebab shop in the town you live in?

I got the impression from your remarks that it was either on a significant scale or some sort of systemic effect, no?
They normally have to open a tanning shop or a nail bar to do that round here.

So it's a one off, money laundering scheme for some low level criminals in one kebab shop in the town you live in?

I got the impression from your remarks that it was either on a significant scale or some sort of systemic effect, no?
No, about 20 kebab shops, 9/10 of them i would guess are at it. Population of the town is about 20,000. We have an unusually high number of them! Would you like to see some pics? there is one across the road from my office, and two more on the square.

The article was about banning trawling. Trawling is a massively destructive, unsustainable, industrial scale attack on the ocean environment. Banning it is inarguably a Good Thing. Wind turbines are a separate issue entirely. I retain my right to feel a little optimism, ta.

Agree. Combine this with a complete ban on unnecessary "holiday" flights and it would feel like at least a nudge toward caring about the planet! No chance - let the fire and floods consume us.

No, about 20 kebab shops, 9/10 of them i would guess are at it. Population of the town is about 20,000. We have an unusually high number of them! Would you like to see some pics? there is one across the road from my office, and two more on the square.

I am still not quite sure what your point is beyond the fact that your local kebab shops might be linked to money laundering in the town you live in. I mean I am sure it might of interest in your local newspaper but I am not sure it has any wider significance.

Brexit worked out as well for them as just about everybody else https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-sets-out-six-key-reasons-for-leaving-the-eu/

That’s the reason I’m only about 70/30 in favour of these strikes. To my mind as someone who, like everyone else, been totally reamed by the stupidity of Brexit, it stings a bit to have to bail out a union that so actively campaigned for this act of obvious self-immolation. Those of us who just have to deal with this idiocy with no safety net, support or bargaining position are justifiably furious at the stupidity of all those who brought this situation forward. You f****d it up, the rest of us get to pay for it. Of course working conditions were going to decline! WTF did you think the oligarch class who paid for Brexit were buying, you utter pricks?!

That said this is a repulsive corrupt and out-of-control far-right Tory government and they are destroying the UK. Anything that hinders them is to be supported. I support the strike. About 70/30. At best.

there's more variety and ethnicity of food outlets just in Bond Street station than all of Switzerland could muster, let alone Zurich.
Like anywhere else, eating local is the way to go. I guess Zürich is pretty well sorted in this respect.

Germany is not without issues of its own, and they're topical.

I am still not quite sure what your point is beyond the fact that your local kebab shops might be linked to money laundering in the town you live in. I mean I am sure it might of interest in your local newspaper but I am not sure it has any wider significance.
Well, the initial reply from @richardg was to the post above by ET, so he described a bit of money laundering going on in Germany. I guess he’s just offering it as an example of a general issue going on in Germany. I doubt Richard thinks it is a benefit of brexit, or to be more ‘on topic’, as a negative of brexit.

While I agree with your second part, I would dispute the first: the EU was highly accommodating of successive British governments and parliamentary procedures.
- After Art. 50 was invoked, the EU waited and waited while HMG dithered over what form of Brexit it thought it wanted.
- It bent over backwards to keep the whole UK inside a de facto customs union to accommodate Theresa May's daft red lines, and negotiated an agreement on that basis.
- When she was defenestrated by Johnson, they went back to the drawing board, bent over backwards in another direction and negotiated the NIP, which Johnson proclaimed a "great deal".
- The EU agreed to multiple deadline extensions, suspended certain border checks for extended periods, all to give the UK time to get its act together
- Etc.
For an organization routinely derided by Brexiters as rule-bound and bureaucratic, the EU showed flexibility and creativity, including on core elements like the Single Market.

Vacuous nationalist blabber... (the EU is run by Jerry and the Frogs)

I support the strike. About 70/30. At best.
7 out of 10.... 7 out of 10... Did I tell you, I took a tab of that 'Brexit' stuff at a Festival in 2016? I still get terrible flashbacks. Ugh - oh no - here comes one now...;)
iu

BBC

But are the kebabs any good?

I see a lot of kebab shops and they do seem quite busy.

But are the kebabs any good?

I see a lot of kebab shops and they do seem quite busy.
Mainly they are empty here. 1 is really busy with Turkish customers and I do go to that one. It doesnt have a fruit machine and it has waited service.

I'm not really into them enough, I don't like that white sauce much, it's more of a dressing and I would rather have it more yoghurt tasting. And the chili sauce is virtually non-existent. Not sure if it's us Brits who like turob-charged chilies on their kebabs, but in Germany and France they are just not spicey enough! There's one over in France and his beef kebabs are amazing, it's like slithers of fillet steak. So I go there more often but take my own chili sauce!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back