advertisement

Bread

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
It's a long time since I've been moved to post about Bread. At some point I may have mentioned the miraculous stuff Hardy's Bakery, of Bulwell. Notts.. produced up to the 1960s... but I don't think much else inspired me until..

Tesco 'Oat and Barley'. This stuff is really rather nice. Sadly, they recently stopped the smaller loaf, but the full size one is still available. There's no way I could handle more than a slice.. too much bread does for me.. but toasted... with loads of butter.. it's as good as a top class Steak.

Try it.

The only supermarket bread that I find bearable is a specific faux-sourdough from M&S that has usually run out by the time I get there, and the better Waitrose breads, which involve an unacceptable 20 mile round trip. Some Waitrose branches were stocking proper sourdough from Gail's Bakery, I have no idea if they still do. I find both Sainsbury and Tesco awful, especially the latter.

Pretty good but we've been eating it for 20 years so...yeah I know.
There's a cheese shop in Urmston with nice sourdough from Chorlton but it's a bit steep.
Yes, and opposite it is a bakers which also does a very good sourdough, and a rather acceptable whole meal. Only problem with the cheese shop is the time they spend wrapping the stuff. I want it protecting in paper, I don’t need it gift wrapped!

Yes, and opposite it is a bakers which also does a very good sourdough, and a rather acceptable whole meal. Only problem with the cheese shop is the time they spend wrapping the stuff. I want it protecting in paper, I don’t need it gift wrapped!
Exactly. Took about 20mins to get served last time I was in...good that they're doing well though.

Poilaine.
Gails Dark French
There’s a good loaf you can by from St John in The City.
Porter and Rye from Neals Yard Dairy.
Biona Rye.

Unicorn in Chorlton have been selling bread for a while now which has diverted my custom from Babakan!...the Focaccia and Ciabatta particularly good...oh and the Wye Rye sourdough

There is much baseless snobbery about bread imho.

I like Sainsburys's various sourdough offerings, and their spelt and sunflower bread is good too.

Our frightfully trendy local bakery which has recently changed hands and now claims to be "artisanal" and to use only organic stone-ground grains, sea salt and specially filtered water is now decidedly meh and twice the price.

It's a long time since I've been moved to post about Bread. At some point I may have mentioned the miraculous stuff Hardy's Bakery, of Bulwell. Notts.. produced up to the 1960s... but I don't think much else inspired me until..

Tesco 'Oat and Barley'. This stuff is really rather nice. Sadly, they recently stopped the smaller loaf, but the full size one is still available. There's no way I could handle more than a slice.. too much bread does for me.. but toasted... with loads of butter.. it's as good as a top class Steak.

Try it.

Finding decent 'bread-like' gluten free bread has become quite problematic for us since my youngest was diagnosed as a coeliac. Options seem to be of the over-priced Free From stuff from Tesco or Waitrose, none of is particularly inspiring. Or we have a couple of artisan bakeries who also charge premium for 'heavy bread' with spelt etc.

Simple toast and marmite seems to be GF sufferers Holy Grail.

On the upside, we all cut back on wheat products, and that has benefits for digestion etc, given tha. Large amount of processing that generally takes place for commercial bread making.

Another good thing to do is find a local polish store and see if they have a good rye bread, a friend of mine who lives in Hackney has found a very good one on Mare Street.

Finding decent 'bread-like' gluten free bread has become quite problematic for us since my youngest was diagnosed as a coeliac.

We, or rather my partner, have been baking GF bread for a while now. We use flour from here https://www.grassrootsbakery.co.uk/
Top tip, place a piece of greaseproof paper on top of the loaf tin to stop over burning.the top crust.
Sure, it never is as good, but this is the best so far, other than the odd artisan loaf when you can find one.
It does need a couple of minutes in the toaster to give a bit of bite. Makes great bruschetta , and marmite (GF equivalent) on toast almost like the good old days. I only rarely have a craving for crusty, gluten loaded, white roll with cheese and raw onion.

It is worth the effort, even with the few earlier failures.

Bloss

PS: We did buy a specific GF breadmaker, but found the oven produced the best results by far.

Last edited:
Get a bread maker. Gluten free, Rye, whole meal, brioche, anything you like and takes 2 mins to prepare and the machine does the rest. Better than anything from the supermarket and makes jam too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0055HSEOC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Second that, I used to make a rye/wholemeal loaf with mixed seeds sprinkled throughout, but now just wholemeal with seeds. Decent knob of butter in the mix makes a world of difference. Otherwise walnut loaf from Sainsbury’s if I’m feeling flush.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Unicorn in Chorlton have been selling bread for a while now which has diverted my custom from Babakan!...the Focaccia and Ciabatta particularly good...oh and the Wye Rye sourdough

I get one loaf a week from Unicorn.
Sliced and put in freezer.
I take out 1 slice a day.
That’s my bread limit.

Wearing a Glucose meter on my arm I see the huge effect white bread has on me, so I go for wholemeal bread. Artisane on Bold do a good wholemeal and some very nice Rye breads. They also do some fantastic pastries which, luckily for me, are protected behind glass :)

I’m trying calm down on the bread for a few months since my body is a temple*, although I keep a packet of small whole meal flatbreads in the freezer so I can pretend I’m having a kebab as necessary (personally I love them but looking at the reviews most people don’t!).

https://www.dinafoods.com/bakery/

* big, like the Taj Mahal

On the upside, we all cut back on wheat products, and that has benefits for digestion etc, given tha. Large amount of processing that generally takes place for commercial bread making.
Not to do with the processing, everything to do with the fact that gluten is difficult to digest for lots of people.

advertisement

Back