advertisement

Bread maker suggestions

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
Now that I’m retired I’d like to try a little bread making the easy way. Which? Suggests a Panasonic, but before I jump in, I wondered if there are any Bake Off experts with any other suggestions or thoughts

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've heard people say Panasonic make the best bread makers. We have one here that my mum gave us. She replaced it with a different make, but she wasn't 100% happy and went back to Panasonic.

It really isn’t a lot of effort to make bread the traditional way.

I was taught to make a loaf during a day long Italian cooking lesson. I can now make a ok-ish spag bol, lasagne or ravioli but my teacher made the bread almost as an afterthought. Apparently Italians just get on with it and don’t overthink the process. If you get the kneading technique correct (straight arm - don’t bend the elbow, bottom of the palm only in contact with the dough and push from the shoulder) then it’s surprisingly quick. The only problem is that it tastes too good and I can easily eat half of a loaf in a single sitting.

Perhaps we should start a PFM bread recipe thread !

Panasonic here. I think it has 34 in the model number, the one without an extra top feeder compartment to add in stuff like raisins.

This is from memory, as it's tucked way back behind loads of other boxes.

It works fine but like many others I suspect doesn't get used too often and becomes another of those essential kitchen gadgets that stays in its box most of the time.

Yep, Panasonic all the way - I brought my ex one for Xmas a few years back. She has made all sorts in it and very successfully to. It is still going strong and I still get the odd loaf when I go to collect the dog, although I suspect she makes that for his benefit more so than mine!:) I can't recall the model number but it cost in the region of 150 quid, perhaps a bit less.

Believe it or not, she thought it was one of the best presents I ever brought her! So forget jewellery, clothes, perfumes, gadgets this Xmas go and buy all your partners a bread maker, its the way forward and for not a lot of dough! :D Okay, ill get my coat! :confused:

Has anyone ever used a breadmaker more than once?
I’ve been using them weekly for many years, to the point where I can’t tolerate the idea of supermarket bread. Panasonics are good ( like their microwaves), the non stick coating on the tin and the paddle is very durable so the loaf drops straight out and you don’t have to go fishing for the paddle inside the bottom of the loaf.

I'm with the majority and have a Panasonic ZB2502.
I previously bought a Cuisinart as recommended by many reviewers, but I got rid of it pretty quick as it seemed to have a mind of its own and produced different results each time..

and yes, Kenny, I use it 2-3 times a week.

Also a Panny. We use it in splurges, for weeks and months at a time, then for no apparent reason stop using it for a while. No idea why.

I’ve been using them weekly for many years, to the point where I can’t tolerate the idea of supermarket bread. Panasonics are good ( like their microwaves), the non stick coating on the tin and the paddle is very durable so the loaf drops straight out and you don’t have to go fishing for the paddle inside the bottom of the loaf.

@Dec. Which model?

our old and heavily used Pan SD255 has become somewhat erratic, and Is probably due for replacement, and I like the idea of not having to fish for the paddle inside the bl00dy loaf every time!:D

@Dec. Which model?

our old and heavily used Pan SD255 has become somewhat erratic, and Is probably due for replacement, and I like the idea of not having to fish for the paddle inside the bl00dy loaf every time!:D
I don’t have it to hand- it’s about four years old, white casing and not the fancier one that drops it’s nuts after the bread has risen and is ready to bake. The first machine I had was a present bought at Lidl and it worked beautifully for years before packing in.
The biggest problem I see and it’s not machine dependent, is bread failing to rise because the dried yeast is duff or the yeast in the bread mix is dead. That’s really frustrating.

I progressed from the standard loaf to a sour dough recipe, not the one in the Panasonic book but this one based on the Rachel Cotterill recipe.
The bonus of this one is that Rachel has sorted out the settings used on the panny bread maker and Pete has laid out the ingredient amounts and timings etc.
Problem is that one slice is never enough and you'll munch your way through the whole loaf.

http://www.petephillips.me.uk/blog/2018/03/sourdough-loaf-in-a-breadmaker/

It depends on what you like. I like REALLY crusty bread and like to add random amounts of various seeds both to the bulk of the bread and as topping.
I had a reasonably all-singing machine - a Kenwood BM450 - and was glad when it finally died.
It became EXCEEDINGLY difficult to get the bread out not long after purchase - the dough got into the hole in the paddle, between the drive shaft and paddle. Producing crusty bread was impossible - the maker filled with steam during baking and unless you rescued the bread as baking ended, the steam softened any crust - the lid should have opened very slightly at the end of baking, to let the steam escape.

Making bread entirely by hand is far simpler and quicker than most people imagine and that is what I do now. The down-side is that you need to think about what you want/need 24 hours ahead to make life simple. Far shorter lead-time is fine, but then you have to be organised and time things accurately.
Unless you have an aga or like to live very warm, if making your own bread, buy a cheap reptile warming pad and some kind of box to sit over the rising dough and pad for when the weather gets cool.

Sour dough is something that I have tried, but keeping the culture going requires regular making of sour dough bread. It also hugely affects the consistency of the dough - it is FAR stickier and more mobile than yeast dough. You also ideally need a banatton or two.

I did give it another go years later when I came across it while clearing out the cupboard with all the unused coffee, pasta and ice cream machines.
Mmmmm. Coffee, spaghetti and ice cream bread. Was that your signature dish on Bake Off?

advertisement

Back