advertisement

Bread - Ammonia any Ideas.

I.D.C.

pfm Member
Had a co-op own brand wholemeal loaf the wife made a sandwich the smell of ammonia was really strong. The bread had no blue groth that I could see the bread was on its last day of expiry date. Never before have I smelled that from any bread ever. Anyone know what would cause that. Wont buy commercial bread now just wondering what's being put into commercial bread.

Sounds like something has got into the dough and started living on it, and is degrading the protein to ammonia or similar compounds. I have known similar happen in meat pie factories where pastry goes sour. You get rework loops where trim finds its way round and round again and can be days old. If you don't manage it then your pastry starts to stink. It won't hurt you, it's getting baked, but it will start to smell and taste rank. At present nobody is going in factories unless it is absolutely necessary for obvious reasons, so the level of management in the places is lower than normal. Have a guess why things are going wrong.

I don't know Joe, you could have merged it with one of the "Naim" threads and still be good...

strange I thought only fish went that way. why I wont buy short dated fish
As you say fish especially goes that way. You get protein degradation to trimethylamines and ammonia. Short dated fish? Ach, it's only a Birmingham cure. They like it like that over there.

(Explanation: because historically fish took a day or to to get to Birmingham it was stronger smelling than that sold nearer the sea. This was known as a "Birmingham cure" because it was the way they were accustomed to buying fish in that area, and fresher fish was dismissed as "bland".)

advertisement

Back