advertisement

Brahms 1 on BBC4 now at proms

alanbeeb

pfm Member
I'm going to have re-appraise Frankly Worse-than-Most.... This is good stuff, flowing sludge-free alert Brahms. Excellent!

Ah, Alan- beat me to it. He's come a long way since his London days. What is it with young conductors who want to pull the wings off the piece? Jordan is another I'm afraid. I think FWM and the Cleveland are very good. Sounding a little sedate and refined tonight, purring along like a Daimler.

It's not as good as "worse-than-most" but both make me titter.

To be honest, the last time I saw KN was in Berlin in 2004 and I fell asleep (In Beethoven 5). I enjoyed a Mahler 9 of his at the Barbican many years ago, and his Mahler 3 on Teldec was excellent (Or was it Erato?).
Not sure if I've ever had the pleasure of seeing FWM --- I think I might have seen a Beethoven/Bruckner 1 pairing at the RFH many years ago, but my memory isn't accurate any more when it comes to concerts seen, aside from those really great ones though.

My view of FWM was mainly formed by an utterly dismal Bruckner 8 with LPO at Edinburgh Festival, must have been 1991 or 1992. But on last night's showing, as Decameron says, he seems to have come a long way since then.

advertisement

Back