advertisement

Boxing / mounting audio projects

Dr_Evil

Necessary evil
I posted this originally in the TeddyReg thread, as the question was prompted by a need to box up a PSU. However, as it's a pretty general question about how best to box up audio projects and mount the bits and pieces, I've started a new thread. Please could you "old hands" help me out with some advice?

I'm trying to figure out how best to mount the various components in an ABS box. Possibilities here would be to glue (silicone / hot melt?) to inside of case or bolt through holes drilled through bottom of case. What's the best bet for:
Trafo (one of Les's C-cored ones)
Electrolytics (10000uF BHC, don't have clamps)
Bridge rectifiers (have got discrete ones 20mm square with a mounting hole through the middle)
Boards (seems to be a choice of nylon or metal threaded stand-offs - does it matter - and again are these best glued or through-drilled)

I know it's a stoopid question - I'm actually pretty well versed in electronics, but mechanically incompetent. Sure I could hack something together, but learning from the mistakes of those more experienced than myself is a lot more appealing.

Thanks!

Bolt everything , no chance of it coming loose. As you are using ABS cases , always use washers under the nuts (or bolt head) For caps , you can get U brackets and for circuit boards use those little threaded pillars you mention , plastic or metal makes no difference.
Decide on a rough layout and then make a template from a piece of paper that is exactly the same size as the "floor space" of your box , mark all the drilling points on the template by laying the parts in place , then tape the template to the "floor space" of the box and drill the holes...job done.

advertisement

Back