advertisement

Boxes for storing vinyl during house move

Paul Gravett

Good Bot Gone Bad
I am soon moving house and with about 2500 albums will need loads of secure boxes. I will be renting first so the boxes will be stored by the removal company. Had a look online and a most of the boxes available are just too small, about 12" in height, though ok for length and width. Can you point me in the direction of any which would be suitable at a reasonable price? Thanks.

It used to be the case that removal companies provided packing boxes specifically for LPs - worth asking yours if you are using one.

Otherwise, one word of advice - use (very) small boxes - LPs weigh FAR more than you'd think.

Really Useful 35 XL is worth looking at (as above) and they can be secured using zip-ties. However, 2.5k 'vinyls' (ahem) in the hands of a removal company would be a risk too far for me. Have you considered private storage via Big Yellow?

I used covers33 cardboard records boxes when I moved some years ago to OZ, and then back several years later. Just looked and they don't seem to do them any longer, just a much more expensive one...

The ones I have looked like these (but measured 350x340x270 high):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006C0RNV6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Securing all edges with tape and a couple of bags of dessicant inside was as far as I went (I did paint on some arrows as well, to make sure they were the right way up!). The more valuable ones and box sets etc got some added bubble wrap - and everything survived fine (which is more than can be said for the LP12 unfortunately, which was packed in original packaging but got smashed..thank heaven for insurance!).

As Vinny says, don't go larger, they'll be too heavy!

Maybe look at ADW73 or ADW40 here:
https://www.davpack.co.uk/cardboard-boxes/double-wall/brown-dw.htm

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
We moved from Scotland to Wales with GB Liners who provided me with a couple of bundles of boxes that are the perfect size for LP's. I can see if the box has a code/reference number on it and you could contact them to buy some.

Otherwise, one word of advice - use (very) small boxes - LPs weigh FAR more than you'd think.

Yes. What's wrong with 12" height? That's ample. What you want is a box around a 13" square footprint and ideally no taller.

When I moved last I was lucky enough to be able to build a store of shipping boxes from Europadisk (the last pressing plant in Manhattan) designed to carry 50 pieces. They were ideal.

Many of the boxes available online (and some suggested here) are just too small in height - 12" or about 310mm. All the records come in plastic sleeves and there won't be enough space to close the lid of each box. Reluctant to by plastc crates because: a) more plastic; b) what to do with them afterwards. Mister C's suggestion looks hopeful - yes it will cost, but cardboard boxes can be flat packed for storage or sold on. There is the option of hiring crates, though, I will look into that. Thank you for your suggestions. I'm only glad I bought only a handful of records since I last moved about 10 years ago!

I used decent double-wall cardboard boxes to ship about 600 LPs back from Tokyo when I moved back a decade ago. Boxes were roughly 13" x 13" x 15" and heavy when packed but manageable.

Happily they all survived the journey unscathed. I'd have though tightly packed LPs were pretty hard to damage (or at least a bit harder than many other possessions).

That's what I'd do.

If the removal company are shifting them, wouldn't be overly concerned by the weights.

If the storage firm is holding on to them for a month perhaps they can supply plastic tea crates. Though I guess damp might be a concern depending on how they're being stored.

Many of the boxes available online (and some suggested here) are just too small in height - 12" or about 310mm. All the records come in plastic sleeves and there won't be enough space to close the lid of each box. Reluctant to by plastc crates because: a) more plastic; b) what to do with them afterwards. Mister C's suggestion looks hopeful - yes it will cost, but cardboard boxes can be flat packed for storage or sold on. There is the option of hiring crates, though, I will look into that. Thank you for your suggestions. I'm only glad I bought only a handful of records since I last moved about 10 years ago!

Don’t worry, the boxes I recommended will take LP’s with PVC sleeves; all my records have them. As far as what to do with them afterwards, if you have a garage you can create a semi-transparent storage wall down one side. Useful as you can see what you have squirreled away.

Many of the boxes available online (and some suggested here) are just too small in height - 12" or about 310mm.
The 'height' is irrelevant, e.g. the Amazon ones you would stack on their side to keep the records vertical. As long as you have say 13"x13"x Y" then they will fit fine. The Y" just defines how many you can fit in a box.

advertisement

Back