advertisement

Box reduction - AV processor for stereo music?

D-C

pfm Member
Hi all,

I've come to the realisation (through RCD tripping several times) my electrics can't take the power I'm using for the amount of gear I've got for HIFI/ AV.

So, I'm pondering the unthinkable.. selling my Hifi Preamp (glup) and buying an av processor BUT only if I can get acceptable stereo sound from it.

Hifi pre is modwright LS/PS 36.5.
Av pre is NAD M15 processo, I find it underwhelming for stereo duties, excellent on films mind.

I'm looking for a short list to potentially demo.

Max budget would be £5000, happy to consider used.

So far, considering:

Byston SP3 (used)
Arcam AV860
NADM17v2

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Many AVs provide acceptable stereo sound nowadays. Maybe try 2 or 3 at different price points. I have always reckoned Yamaha. Arcam should be decent as well. I used to run an Onkyo 609 for a while as my Nad died. I was surprised at how good it was.

Reactions: D-C
I would also recommend throwing Anthem into the mix. Quite a few years ago, I used an older AVM-30 for quite sometime as my hifi/AV preamplifier, and truth is, it was quite fabulous, and had all the I/O one could ever hope for. Not to mention decent EQ adjustments.

I would also recommend throwing Anthem into the mix. Quite a few years ago, I used an older AVM-30 for quite sometime as my hifi/AV preamplifier, and truth is, it was quite fabulous, and had all the I/O one could ever hope for. Not to mention decent EQ adjustments.
I was trying to remember the name of this company earlier. They always got good reviews for their stereo reproduction. Good call!

I use a Marantz NR-1504 AVR alongside my Teddy Pardo amp for AV stuff. I play LPs through my TP amp, but everything else goes through my AVR so that the AVR does the processing and powers the rear speakers where applicable while my TP amp powers the front speakers in all cases. If your AVR has pre-outs and your amp has HT Bypass then you can godown this route as well. You can even do it if your amp doesn't have AV Bypass, but it's much simpler if your amp has the option already built-in.

Hi all,

I've come to the realisation (through RCD tripping several times) my electrics can't take the power I'm using for the amount of gear I've got for HIFI/ AV.

!

RCDs tend to trip because there's faulty wiring or (more likely) a faulty appliance somewhere. I'd be surprised if your hifi is drawing anywhere enough power to overload a circuit. What's your equipment list?

I would be looking for the root cause of the RCD tripping, not downgrading your hifi for no real reason.

I’d get your wiring looked at first, before ditching your excellent Modwright.

We’ll documented bugs with Arcam processors over on AVforums. I’d look at Primare processors if you’re looking for a high quality pre that could potentially fulfil both duties. Anthem make great AV processors but I was underwhelmed using one for music.

Yes, check wiring, but the Khozmo's, for example, are brilliant, especially when specced with all the upgrades and Elma switch, leaving you still about £4,550 within budget. But you will need to be sure a passive works in your system and what loading to choose.

RCDs tend to trip because there's faulty wiring or (more likely) a faulty appliance somewhere. I'd be surprised if your hifi is drawing anywhere enough power to overload a circuit. What's your equipment list?

I would be looking for the root cause of the RCD tripping, not downgrading your hifi for no real reason.

Surely this?!

If anything was tripping a perfectly functional circuit I’d have imagined power amps rather than pres in any case? And that you’re a metal fan with a cavernous listening environment! :)

Hi all,

So, I'm pondering the unthinkable.. selling my Hifi Preamp (glup) and buying an av processor BUT only if I can get acceptable stereo sound from it.

Hifi pre is modwright LS/PS 36.5.
Av pre is NAD M15 processo, I find it underwhelming for stereo duties, excellent on films mind.

I'm looking for a short list to potentially demo.

Max budget would be £5000, happy to consider used.

So far, considering:

Byston SP3 (used)
Arcam AV860
NADM17v2

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
What about something from Rotel. They seem to keep their processors simple and music focused.

Thanks guys, all of the above is useful.

The electrics covered by the rcd are grouped as: everything downstairs, everything upstairs, water heater, and shower.

There is a lot of electrical stuff downstairs:
65"oled tv
Cassette deck
Ps4
Ps4vr
Xbox x
ModWright ls/ps 36.5
2x Baldwin monoblock
Turntable
Questyle headphone amp
Questyle dac
Rega tt amp
Linn majik ds
Minidisc player
Dcc player
SF sub
NAD m15 processor
NAD M15 Power amp
7 floorstanders
Sony avr
Roksan pre
Sony minidisc (2)
2 floorstanders
Fridge freezer
Double oven
Microwave
Washing machine
Kettle
Dishwasher
Hue lights
5 or 6 smaller electrical items.

The electricity tripped while I was away recently, so nothing much going on but everything was plugged in on standby.
Most likely to trip when after a few mins of the oven coming on, again, not the cause while I was away.

I've unplugged most of the kit the last couple of days, and turned the oven on several times a day.. No trips.

I'll take a look at the suggested list of av processors - thanks for the suggestions.

I'd get a sparky in to check things out asap - one house I lived in was over capacity due to all the AV kit I had running - wanted an Air Con system installed but the existing electrics weren't up to the load before they even started

What about something from Rotel. They seem to keep their processors simple and music focused.
About 7 years ago, I was using an Audiolab 8200AP (with Rotel power amplifier) as a pre-processor for home theatre and music (my system has to do both unfortunately). I took a Chord Qute DAC home which, for music, wiped the floor with the 8200, so I set out to try and find a pre-processor that could provide that sort of upgrade for all channels of my home theatre too. Tall order. I tried a number of processors, which all sounded better, but all had tiny issues that didn’t sit well with me. One processor couldn’t be adjusted to produce a central image with stereo (if you can believe that), and the Rotel at the time, which I was really liking because of the onboard PEQ, wasn’t supporting gapless playback. So nothing suited me at the time. About a year later, my prayers were answered when Classe brought out the Sigma SSP, which I ended up buying, even though it was a little more than I had wanted to spend. Great pre that. I sold it on about 2 years ago as my system had whittled down from 5.2 to 2.0, so it was just being wasted, but I do miss it.

And to the point. Classe disappeared, and even though they’re coming back, there’s no AV. So for me, if I was looking now, I’d be trying an Anthem, which admittedly is a little more AV than hi-fi, or the current Rotel, which looks fantastic. As Rotel were building the Classe products in their own factory, you can bet that the current Rotels have more than borrowed from them. I’m hoping to get a loan of the integrated version some point soon (just more convenient for me). If it’s anything like the Classe, it’ll be a corker. Their integrated receivers always sound better than the mainstream receivers, even back in the 90s.

I used to run a pre -amp ( musical fidility M8 Pre) with various AV processor togther in the same system, but the complexity of ensuring that it all worked together (input selection etc) became a pain with the family often complaining that it did not work properly when I was not there made me look for a solution.

I purchased a Marantz AV8805 and found it an acceptable 2 channel pre -amp, I did comparisons between the 8805 and the M8pre and although the M8pre wasa little bit better to my ears the 8805 was still a very enjoyable listen so the Musical fidelity was sold

There are quite a few AV processors that are fine for music including the Classe mentioned above

Thanks guys, all of the above is useful.

The electrics covered by the rcd are grouped as: everything downstairs, everything upstairs, water heater, and shower.

There is a lot of electrical stuff downstairs:
65"oled tv
Cassette deck
Ps4
Ps4vr
Xbox x
ModWright ls/ps 36.5
2x Baldwin monoblock
Turntable
Questyle headphone amp
Questyle dac
Rega tt amp
Linn majik ds
Minidisc player
Dcc player
SF sub
NAD m15 processor
NAD M15 Power amp
7 floorstanders
Sony avr
Roksan pre
Sony minidisc (2)
2 floorstanders
Fridge freezer
Double oven
Microwave
Washing machine
Kettle
Dishwasher
Hue lights
5 or 6 smaller electrical items.

The electricity tripped while I was away recently, so nothing much going on but everything was plugged in on standby.
Most likely to trip when after a few mins of the oven coming on, again, not the cause while I was away.

I've unplugged most of the kit the last couple of days, and turned the oven on several times a day.. No trips.

I'll take a look at the suggested list of av processors - thanks for the suggestions.

I still maintain that you have a faulty item somewhere causing the trip. Yes, you have a lot of hifi/AV stuff but I bet even when it's all powered up and in use you'll still barely be touching 1kW.

I'd get a sparky in to check things out asap - one house I lived in was over capacity due to all the AV kit I had running - wanted an Air Con system installed but the existing electrics weren't up to the load before they even started
If I don't get any tripping in the coming weeks I think I'll be safe to assume it's overload, in which case box reduction is the required solution. But if it does happen.. I'll defo get an electrician in AA.

I used to run a pre -amp ( musical fidility M8 Pre) with various AV processor togther in the same system, but the complexity of ensuring that it all worked together (input selection etc) became a pain with the family often complaining that it did not work properly when I was not there made me look for a solution.

I purchased a Marantz AV8805 and found it an acceptable 2 channel pre -amp, I did comparisons between the 8805 and the M8pre and although the M8pre wasa little bit better to my ears the 8805 was still a very enjoyable listen so the Musical fidelity.

There are quite a few AV processors that are fine for music including the Classe mentioned above

I've had a few MF in the past, they were good for the bypass action, but that would still mean the same number of boxes, I'd much rather keep the MW.

Good point on the Classe and Marantz, though I think I'd prefer the Marantz if it sounds as good as the Classe given it offers newer bells and whistles for the AV side.
I have heard good things about the Anthem AV60, but as mentioned not supposed to be that great on the stereo side of things so think their stuff is out of the running.. Arcam too unless I check one out at the local dealer and they convince me otherwise.

advertisement

Back