advertisement

Bowie and Adele,

graystoke4

pfm Member
Hi, looks like both these guys, are bringing a new album out soon, Bowie's, some old stuff renewed and some new songs, Adele there are lights all over the world just showing, 30, emblazed on buildings this i guess is going to be her next album,

The Bowie is Toy (Amazon link), which is a very widely pirated ‘90s album that was canned for some reason somewhere around the Hours, Heathen period. It is potentially a very good album (I downloaded a dodgy MP3 copy for a listen years ago), I’ll certainly be up for the CD version (vinyl looks crazy expensive). Looks like they’ve dug up a lot more than initially got out as it is a 3xCD box.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yeah I’ve ordered Toy Box on CD. Then there’s the next of his career spanning type box sets. Not bought any thus far. And this one seems crazy expensive.

I am interested in which direction Adele goes with her new album. Quite a while since her last record.

Apparently 'Toy' was recorded after Bowie's Glastonbury appearance, I'm really looking forward to hearing it as I really rate his post 80's work amongst his very best. The new Era 5 box set is due to be released 26 Nov, (mine is ordered/reserved, that's my Xmas present sorted) 18 LPs including Outside, Earthling, hours and the fantastic BBC sessions live recording from 2000 previously only available on CD as a special addition released with the re-release of the Best of BBC sessions 68-72, which is also excellent if you like the Space Oddity/ Ziggy era.
Another really nice 4LP set is an 'acoustic' ( some great alternative versions) set recorded for the BBC/UK audience after Bowie's 50th birthday gig was only available as pay per View in the States. I was very lucky to catch it on Irish TV (RTE2) when it was broadcast in 97 and picked up a pirate copy (DVD) a good few years back, lot's of great guests with Bowie and his band playing some of his best songs. I hope it gets an official release at some stage.
As for Adele, I quite like her music, good pop and an almighty voice. I suspect 30 will be more of the same.

It will be interesting to see how that big box is mastered. That whole ‘90s Bowie era, whilst containing some real gems, is pretty brick-walled. I’ve got the previous CD box set where each album was expanded to a double with 12” mixes etc and it certainly isn’t great dynamically, and gets worse as time goes on (i.e. the later albums are more squashed than the early ones). I suspect it was just a mastering/aesthetic decision so is baked-in, but it will be interesting to see if the DR values change.

PS I’ve not bought any of the boxes as I consider my Bowie to be on vinyl, that ‘90s box is actually the only exception as I wasn’t paying attention at the time and hadn’t realised he’d got good again!

Hi, well the first single is here Adel, to be honest just what you would expect of her, just her and piano, i have all her stuff, and will be buying this cd, if she is your cup of tea or not, this is going to make her Mi££££££ions, there is no doubt about it,

It find it absolutely dire. It was on the BBC News (WTF?) this morning and I had to turn it over.
Can only agree.
All the fuss over a new Coldplay album and now Adele - Then again, what would I know - I've had Abba and Swell Maps on this afternoon.
Can't remember the BBC bigging up Jowe Head though:D

The mastering on the previous three Adele albums is so dire that it's blown into the weeds by Etta James' Tell Mama which is fifty years older. At least on my vinyl copies anyway.

Hi, you think that's bad, i'm playing YES going for the one, at the moment, a superb album, apart from the shrill mastering,

The piano on the new Adele single is deceptively difficult to play, fwiw…:D

I need to hear it a few times. Only heard a clip so far, but it didn’t grab me like her earlier tunes did. I am going to wait till I have shifted my cold.
I have a lot of time for her given her background, attitude and voice, so don’t want to write it off because my sinuses are clogged.

It will be interesting to see how that big box is mastered. That whole ‘90s Bowie era, whilst containing some real gems, is pretty brick-walled. I’ve got the previous CD box set where each album was expanded to a double with 12” mixes etc and it certainly isn’t great dynamically, and gets worse as time goes on (i.e. the later albums are more squashed than the early ones). I suspect it was just a mastering/aesthetic decision so is baked-in, but it will be interesting to see if the DR values change.

PS I’ve not bought any of the boxes as I consider my Bowie to be on vinyl, that ‘90s box is actually the only exception as I wasn’t paying attention at the time and hadn’t realised he’d got good again!

After much deliberation I ended up stumping up the cash for this (even though it pains me to spend that amount on a vinyl box set). It perfectly covers the only Bowie period where I didn't buy any of the albums (stopped at Never Let Me Down, started again at Heathen). My only exception at the time was buying The Buddha of Suburbia on 7" single for 49p.

It does say the albums have been remastered - "The box sets include newly remastered versions, with input from the original producers and collaborators" - so I'm hoping that there's an improvement there too.

Now I've just got to come up with a suitable explanation for the Mrs when it turns up in the post...

advertisement

Back