advertisement

Bowers & Wilkins D5 speakers

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
I have always always a soft spot for the D5s, since a friend bought a pair in the ‘70s.
A pair became available which needed some work.
Replace the tweeters and do some cabinet work.

After some research I discovered the original ( Fane ) tweeters were now unavailable.
B & W themselves used another make as well as Fane ones.

Research indicted Peerless models of the same era as the speakers were compatible.
A pair were located.
The cabinets were professionally re-sprayed in black and look superb.

I’ve just finished re-assembling them and giving them a run.
OK, they’re not LS3/5as or Spendor BC1s but none the worse for that.
Open, slightly ‘bright’ but detailed and with a nicely balanced bass.

I’m often surprised how good old speakers can sound...

PFM doesn't have the emoji I wanted so I'll just write it out:

"This thread is useless without pics!"

:)

But seriously, I am restoring some speakers myself so I'm keen on hearing more about your project.

The easiest way IMO is to go to postimage.org. Upload your photo, then on the next page there are a bunch of link options, and to the right of each one is a 'copy' button. Click the copy button on the line that says 'Thumbnail for forums'. Paste it in your message here and you're done!

I'll send a PM with my email just in case...

I’ve had two pairs of DM5s over the years which were both lovely little speakers. One pair in the optional rosewood finish the other in walnut. Both sounded great from memory,I think B&W were using their own TW26 tweeter by that point.

I had some DM1s to refurbish and sell on.
Remarkably good speakers.

B & W did seem to get it ‘right’ with their earlier models.

I never took much interest in the later ‘yellow’ ones, as I called them.

My all time favorite at B&W always been the DM2 mk1.
Not perfect as per today’s standard but very musical and pleasant to listen to.
I could also live very well with the DM4 with a beefier amp.
You need to spend big money to better these IMO.

I have a pair of DM5 in one of my various systems. They sound great considering the age - really good on the end of A&R SA200 power amp.
I have a pdf of both the manual and the sales brochure if anyone wants a copy - PM me .......

CJ6RKPo.jpg

XvA5ezB.jpg

I refurbished a pair of DM4 loudspeakers years ago and got them repainted in gloss black. New grill cloths and they looked great, sounded pretty good as well. I had an A&R A60 amp and tuner running them at the time and got the wooden sleeves painted to match as they were in a pretty rough black finish.
Should have kept them but they weren’t getting used so moved them on.

Now in our local record shop.
They look ( and sound ) good on a pair of Linn Kan stands.

The Prop. sold a pair of refurbished Celef Monitors for me and his customer has them on the end of a classic
1970s system.
Hopefully the D5s will sell to a similar type of customer.

Wonderful record shop. People come from miles away to check out the used LPs.

I have always always a soft spot for the D5s, since a friend bought a pair in the ‘70s.
A pair became available which needed some work.
Replace the tweeters and do some cabinet work.

After some research I discovered the original ( Fane ) tweeters were now unavailable.
B & W themselves used another make as well as Fane ones.

Research indicted Peerless models of the same era as the speakers were compatible.
A pair were located.
The cabinets were professionally re-sprayed in black and look superb.

I’ve just finished re-assembling them and giving them a run.
OK, they’re not LS3/5as or Spendor BC1s but none the worse for that.
Open, slightly ‘bright’ but detailed and with a nicely balanced bass.

I’m often surprised how good old speakers can sound...

Old thread but just seen it...
My very first system purchased from Thomas Heinitz in Moscow Road London W2 in 1974, was a pair of B&W D5's, aTrio 2002a amplifier and a Pioneer PL12D with Shure M55E.
I have never been so satisfied with a system. It was only when getting hooked by the magazines of the time and becoming convinced I could do better that I fell into the never ending spiral of buying and selling and never again being completely satisfied.
Such is our hobby.

Thomas Heinitz was one of the very few honest retailers, in my opinion.
He wouldn’t sell you something if he wasn’t 100% happy that you were completely satisfied.

There was a similar retailer in Oxford, called Westwoods.
My audio journey started with them ( Spendor BC1s ) and the speakers are still with me.
Excellent advice was always given, with no pressure.

Thomas Heinitz was one of the very few honest retailers, in my opinion.
He wouldn’t sell you something if he wasn’t 100% happy that you were completely satisfied.

There was a similar retailer in Oxford, called Westwoods.
My audio journey started with them ( Spendor BC1s ) and the speakers are still with me.
Excellent advice was always given, with no pressure.

Yes, I remember Westwoods well. I also remember being impressed with a B&W D6: not there but at some Hi Fi show. I never bought one, but for what it was- a small good reproducer- it was lovely, both to look at and sound. The stereo from it was surprisingly good. Do you know whether the D6 came earlier or later than the D5?

I do not share your enthusiasm about Thomas Heinitz. I found it impossible to discuss anything he disagreed with in a civilised manner. After a renewed attempt on another occassion, I stormed out of his shop followed by an overweight and overbearing angry Heinitz still trying to convince me with a hectoring worst type of 'public school superior' arrogance.

Most of what he spewed was, so far as I was concerned, a load of rubbish based on his prejudices. However, this did not prevent him from selling some good stuff.

I have a pair of DM22s bought off ebay years ago and used in my work office system. When I retired 8 years ago I brought them home and installed them in the garage / workshop on a pair of old style swinging wall brackets. They are currently drive by a Pi with an iqaudio DAC HAT feeding a rather scruffy but perfectly working Hitachi HMA-6500 MosFET power amp that I bought at a car boot for the princely sum of £4

Sounds excellent for a workshop system and all controlled from my phone. This thread has got me thinking should I update the Capacitors in the crossovers to make them even better?

It’s interesting what ‘eguth’ says about Thomas Heinitz and his own personal experiences with
the man.
Was TH having a bad day, or was that his normal demeanour ?
Who knows ?

advertisement

Back