advertisement

Boutique parts. Just a thought.......

Chris

pfm Member
When I was advised to change my Sugden A21SE output caps due to swollen tops, I was pointed towards some 10,000uF Panasonics 105º to replace the 65v 10,000 uF Eurocaps that my A21SE had fitted from new. I had to order the Panasonics so while I was waiting I fitted some 10,000uF Samwha caps that I picked up from a "corner" shop just down the street from me, here in the Canaries. I was suitably ridiculed on here for fitting such cheapo 2-3 euro mediocre stuff but as they were a stopgap and I never really expected wonderful results I never even gave them a chance using them for a few listening hours until the Panasonics arrived and were fitted.

End of Story.

Until the A21SE Signature came out with tales of improved sound due to certain low impedance components having been fitted from factory, amid great secrecy. I have never been able to ascertain what else was done to improve on the original A21SE, neither have I ever come across a back to back comparison review.

The other day I came across photos of the "Signature" insides and although I am technically incapable of recognising any possible changes between its PCbs and mine, I can read - you guessed it, it uses Samwha 10,000 uF caps. On investigating a bit, I see that both Naim and Rega are supposed to use them, too.

This is not meant as any sort of criticism of any of the aforementioned firms, but rather a criticism of fools like myself for believing that "boutique" parts will make for a better sound. Not that the Panasonics can be considered as such ( they probably cost twice what the Samwhas) but I remember considering buying much more expensive makes at the time and only the sensible advice I was given stopped me from going OTT

Nothing wrong with Samwhas. I have NipponChemicons in my Voyagers. People go for Pans because it’s a trusted name and there’s nothing wrong with that either.

If not in signal path, capacitors won’t make huge difference in sound.
Higher quality caps will usually give longer life though.

FWIW Samwha did do a "for audio" smoothing cap range... not that I'd expect them to be any better than a standard one.
I've seen several >£2K made in UK amps recently which have el cheapo Chinese smoothing caps fitted!

Well, if they´re good enough for the pros, who are we to argue. I suppose they use them in their own equipment ? Who mentioned Duelund, AN, Jantzen etc. etc.

Some of the boutique brands don't have a QAQC story, making them unusable in equipment that has genuine EMC and safety approvals

Some of the boutique brands don't have a QAQC story

Probably because they're made by either a main brand and just wrapped with the fancy gold and black outer...or they're made by cheapo outfit and just wrapped with the fancy gold and black outer...

Neither way are they going to let on that the boutique part is actually a bespoke wrapped off the shelf or a small batch quantity from somewhere you've never heard of!

Better to buy a capacitor that meets the spec required and has the backing of a decent quality control system in the manufacture.

The QM system will mean that they'll be subjected to sample checks of parameters on a periodic basis (according to output) and also a reliability test where they'll be overstressed to push the known failure modes and determine an MTBF etc.

All good stuff and so glad I'm not doing it anymore although it was interesting at the time when Semis were manufactured in Scotland.

advertisement

Back