advertisement

Born to Run box set out now!

Andrew B.

pfm Member
The new box set is out containing a remastered (from the original multitrack) version of the CD plus a great 1975 gig at the Hammersmith Odeon (which I have seen part of) and a documentary. Details here:

Product Description
Personally supervised by Bruce Springsteen and Jon Landau, the box set includes "Hammersmith Odeon, london '75," an astonishing film of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's legendary 1975 concert at the Hammersmith Odeon in London; the new film "Wings for Wheels: The Making of Born to Run;" the classic album in remastered cd form; and finally, a 48 page booklet of previously unpublished photographs. With its two dvds, the package offers approximately four hours of previously unseen footage.

Spanning roughly two hours and ten minutes, the November 18, 1975 concert at London's Hammersmith Odeon finds an epic performance of sixteen Bruce Springsteen classics, including "Thunder Road," "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out," "Jungleland," and "Born to Run", as well as such other favourites such as "Kitty's Back" and "Rosalita". The multiple-camera film of the complete concert will be available in its entirety and its original sequence, as newly edited by emmy award winner Thom Zimny. "Hammersmith Odeon, London '75" is the only full-length concert film ever released of Bruce and the E Street Band's first 25 years.

The ninety-minute documentary "Wings for Wheels: The Making of Born to Run" chronicles the definitive story of the creation of Born to Run, from songwriting to production and beyond. "Wings for Wheels" boasts archival film never shown publicly, including substantial footage of Springsteen and the E Street Band recording the album, 1975 concert film and other footage shot between 1973 and 1975. The film also features exclusive footage of Springsteen playing solo piano and guitar versions of songs from Born to Run.

Mine arrived this morning but I haven't been allowed to open it yet because it is a birthday present. For those who don't know, "Born to Run" is one of the greatest albums of the 1970s (my favourite musical decade).

Andrew

from the original multitrack

Does this mean they have finally got around to a much needed remix? BTR is, as you say, one of the great albums of the 1970's. But not in sound quality. I have the previously "most serious" remaster, the one done when Sony's SBM came out, and it's as crap sounding as my old 1970's vinyl.

The underrated DOTEOT is much better sounding and I'm looking forward to 2008 when it will get it's 30 years aniversary treatment...

JohanR (An old Springsteen fan)

Yes, from what I read the new version is substantially better in sound quality. The first was amazingly congested/compressed, considering they spent 6 months mixing just the title track. I also bought the Sony SBM version and a Masterdisk version hoping for decent sound quality and was sorely disappointed.

[later] Just sneaked a quick listen to the starts of "Thunder Road" and "Born to Run". Sound quality is way ahead of all the earlier reissues. Not perfect by any means but certainly worth buying for all Springsteen fans with decent hi-fi systems. Yipee!

I agree that Darkness is one of his best albums. When I was young I liked Candy's Room and Badlands, now that I'm nearly 40 I enjoy the reflective title track and "Racing in the Streets". And yes it is certainly better recorded too.

Andrew

Not perfect by any means but certainly worth buying for all Springsteen fans with decent hi-fi systems. Yipee!

Finally! I will get one. Thanks for the help, Andrew.

JohanR

I've got an original copy of BTR. Nowt wrong with the quality as far as I can hear.

Bob

bob mccluckie said:
I've got an original copy of BTR. Nowt wrong with the quality as far as I can hear.

Bob

The original CD is pitifully compressed.

I haven't heard the vinyl so can't comment on that.

Andrew

Andrew B. said:
The original CD is pitifully compressed.

I haven't heard the vinyl so can't comment on that.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

You got me at it, I also decided to have a listen to my original vinyl version and quite honestly the recording quality is only so-so, confirmed when I then listened to Devils and Dust, also on vinyl.

But hey let's get this in perspective, just 20 seconds into 10th Avenue Freeze-out and who cares, it'd still do it for me played on my old Dansette!

I suppose there are times when sound quality has to take a back seat to artistic quality....this album is a case in point...obviously an improvement in the sound quality would be very welcome, so I too will keep a look out for the digital version.

Regards, Dave

I do try not to get TOO hung up about recording quality, and "Thunder Road" has long been one of my top 10 tracks of all time (regardless of mix) but I have always found the compression on the title track really frustrating since it should be "busting out" and instead it feels cramped. Until this remastered version, that is.

Buy the box set for the DVD of the Hammy Odeon gig anyway...

Andrew

I've just showed her your post and she's gonna get it me for Xmas!

Happy Birthday by the way, have a good 'un!

Dave

advertisement

Back