advertisement

Booooo! Cartridge woe...

jay

built for speed
The right channel on my Lyra Delos stopped working this morning. I've checked a few things but I want to make sure I've done what I can before I get the professionals involved.
  • I've checked the tags and they're firmly in place.
  • The right channels fine with other sources.
  • I swapped the leads to the phono stage and the left channels silent, so guess it's not the cable or the stage itself.
Anything else I need to look at?

If it's a no go, what do you think my options are? I bought the Delos with little hours and have used it quite a bit I suppose but it sounded great before the channel dropped. Can I get it re-build or is it best to trade in and replace? Does anyone know if there's a Lyra dealer central/North London?

Thanks

I'd check continuity between the cartridge tags and phono plugs to be totally sure it isn't the arm cabling...

...I believe Lyra do offer a re-build/exchange service from what I have heard on forums - I'd certainly contact their UK distributor Symmetry http://www.symmetry-systems.co.uk to enquire about the cost...

Reactions: jay
Lyra dealers in & around the London area seem to be KJ West One, or DECO in Aylesbury.
Further afield, Signals in Ipswich or maybe Analogue seduction in Peterborough?
Nice cart, .....hope you get it sorted.

how long ago did you buy it , may be that it is still under warranty , Lyar offer an exchange and a cheaper price on the new one , a rebuild cost about £600, the next one up they will knock alot off if you upgrade , and not just swop

There is also Radlett Audio.

Don't check continuity with a meter, because you can burn out the coils.

If it's in warranty, the distributor will get it repaired. If it's out of warranty, there is a 30% trade in.

Don't check continuity with a meter, because you can burn out the coils.

If it's in warranty, the distributor will get it repaired. If it's out of warranty, there is a 30% trade in.
You can check the continuity from the cartridge tags to the RCA plugs but I'd disconnect the cartridge tags from the cartridge itself beforehand for the very reason you mention.

Thanks a lot everyone. Some really useful information there. I’ve had it for maybe 5 years off a gent from pfm, so it’s had a good bit of use I suppose.

Is it normal for one channel to just go in a MC?

I’m not sure I can check continuity as I’ve a Rega P9?

It does happen; when in retail we used to get the odd well used MC in with a dead channel.
When you consider how fine the lead wires from the coils are, it is a wonder that they last as long as they do.

Thanks a lot everyone. Some really useful information there. I’ve had it for maybe 5 years off a gent from pfm, so it’s had a good bit of use I suppose.

Is it normal for one channel to just go in a MC?

You can check continuity with a digital multimeter but you need to disconnect the cartridge tags from the cartridge first, it’s very easy to do and will help you track the source of the issue. The wiring on the more expensive Rega arms is of a high standard and I’d be surprised if it has failed to be honest but at least if you check it, you’ll know for sure.

Push the cart tags on and off to clean any dirt away, if removable head shell clean contacts there and if removable arm cable give it a few plug/unplugs.

You should be ok checking the carts continuity with a modern digital multimeter of decent quality but just to be sure you can put a resistor of 1K (doesn't matter if it's half that or double that) in line. Expect to measure the resistance of the actual resistor if there is continuity.

Using a meter, test each of the four wires end to end; e.g. one probe on white wire at headshell with the other probe on left channel phono plug pin.

Note: The white and blue wires are your left channel +ve and ground respectively; these correspond to the left channel phono plugs central pin (+ve) and outer ring (ground)
The red and green wires are right channel +ve and ground respectively and correspond the the right channel phono plugs central pin and outer ring.

Here is a good instruction page re testing for continuity with a digital multimeter...

http://en-us.fluke.com/training/tra...for-continuity-with-a-digital-multimeter.html

I don’t have a multimeter (I know, the shame of it!). Do you think I can just grab one of the cheaper ones off Amazon?

If it's out of warranty, there is a 30% trade in.

Lyra must have upped the ante; used to be 25%

O.P., After 5 years good use on a second-hand Delos, choose this opportunity to climb the giddy heights to the Kleos; at 30 % off, you'll never regret it. The alternative, IF it's buggered, is to have a complete refurbishment. At about 50% of new, that's worth thinking about, but I know which option I'd choose; upgrades are part of the enjoyment (and the costly bandwagon).

Lyra must have upped the ante; used to be 25%

O.P., After 5 years good use on a second-hand Delos, choose this opportunity to climb the giddy heights to the Kleos; at 30 % off, you'll never regret it. The alternative, IF it's buggered, is to have a complete refurbishment. At about 50% of new, that's worth thinking about, but I know which option I'd choose; upgrades are part of the enjoyment (and the costly bandwagon).

I’m not sure my wife would thank you Mike!

I looked at the new prices and crickey, a Delos is £1200! I hate to think what the next level up is. I’m not sure I can justify that cost on a consumable and that the rest of my system is up to it. At the moment it’s probably nicely balanced.

Five years with regular use would knacker any MC. My first Lyra Lydian B was only good for exchange after similar mileage. It's the cart's way of telling you its time for its retirement. You could bite the bullet and go for a Lyra exchange or take your chances with an Expert (or some other renowned refurbishing outfit) rebuild. As you say, it's a consumable item. The alternative is to consider a great MM (Ortofon 2M Black?), which is what I will seriously consider after my Kleos shuffles off its copper coils. FWIW, I thought a 2M Bronze gave a great account of itself (on Pioneer PL-71) against the Kleos (on ARO/LP12).

Five years with regular use would knacker any MC. My first Lyra Lydian B was only good for exchange after similar mileage. It's the cart's way of telling you its time for its retirement. You could bite the bullet and go for a Lyra exchange or take your chances with an Expert (or some other renowned refurbishing outfit) rebuild. As you say, it's a consumable item. The alternative is to consider a great MM (Ortofon 2M Black?), which is what I will seriously consider after my Kleos shuffles off its copper coils. FWIW, I thought a 2M Bronze gave a great account of itself (on Pioneer PL-71) against the Kleos (on ARO/LP12).

Thanks James, yes I feel I've got my monies worth. A re-build could be an option as I really enjoyed the synergy with the P9/DVP75, I wonder how long they turn them around...

advertisement

Back