advertisement

Bookshelf speakers for naim nait 3 & rel quake

Bob793

Hi

I’m thinking of upgrading my speakers. I currently have AE aegis evo 1s and rel quake sub with naim nait 3 connected to arcam DAC connected to Sony tv connected to Apple TV 3 playing music on my phone via AirPlay. I want to upgrade the AE aegis evo 1s. I had Linn Kans before I had the sub and didn’t like the lack of bass but they might be ok with the sub. I also had TDL rtl3s but they were too big and sounded ok but not great. I’ve heard Quad 11ls and compared them with the evo 1s and whilst they sounded better, I didn’t think the difference was enough to justify the extra cash at the time (around 15 years ago). Most bookshelf or stand mount speakers seem to have 5” drivers, I think a 6-8” driver would be better with the sub crossover set lower. Perhaps this is because I once had wharfdale dentons with 6” driver (pioneer amp) and always liked the sound of them. Looked at AR18s after reading other threads but not heard them and unsure of refoaming. Could spend up to £300 second hand, not considering new unless you tell me otherwise. AR18s seem to be around £100-£200 on eBay depending on condition so they could be a good choice if they sound significantly better than the evo 1s.

Based on above - My first thought were original Heybrook HB1
Perhaps hard to find in good condition.
These are available new from Wimslow if memory serve.
I think its a 7" driver.

Another speaker suited, can't remember their name unfortunately, (short 3-digit) maybe others can remember brand ?
Made in jails and very close looking like some Snell/Audio Note K, they were superb for little outlay.

There’s a pair on eBay now for £225 including postage but also quartets at same price which look in better condition and just look better. I’ve no idea what either sounds like.

No experience of subs, and I've never concerned myself with bass quantity/extension, so not sure if these will be suitable for your requirements, but, Epos ES11s work rather well with the Nait 3, IME.

Or what about these on eBay? item: 283701463485 description
Great set of epos speakers which are fully working but with some defects. The tweeter covers are missing and as a result one tweeter has been pushed in (but it still works fine). 4 of the rubber grommets on the front have also been lost. And there is some perishing and cracking to the rubber surrounds on the mid/bass drivers. The cabinets also have wear and tear and age related marks.

Despite all these issues these are in full working order, in fact they still sound phenomenal and even better than many modern speakers. They were highly acclaimed speakers from epos that were never really bettered. They were once a go to speaker to use with naim but even if you put them on some high end gear these just get better and better, as they provided high end sound, and not forgetting are very good for just enjoying music.

Any opinions about defects?

How about epos es12s? Are they also a good match for nait3?

Certainly
ES11 & 12 were great speakers, allbeit a bit basshy, perhaps not what your looking for ?
I'd avoid the overseas made Epos, though not sure this might be from M12 onwards ?

Es12s on eBay item 283564357401 @£195. Would need to persuade seller to post though. Is that price good?

Based on above - My first thought were original Heybrook HB1
Perhaps hard to find in good condition.
These are available new from Wimslow if memory serve.
I think its a 7" driver.

Another speaker suited, can't remember their name unfortunately, (short 3-digit) maybe others can remember brand ?
Made in jails and very close looking like some Snell/Audio Note K, they were superb for little outlay.
JPW are the speakers I believe you are thinking about as some of their cabinets were made by prison inmates.

Bass shy could be ok since I’m using a sub, I dunno

I use my BK sub below max 45-50hz only (with modest volume).
I,m letting main speakers run full frequenzy and enjoy not hearing anything from the sub unless its on the record.

Sound become awfull once the sub adjust to higher frequenzy such as 75-80hz, perhaps its just me or my room ?

Can’t find any road Edens for sale now but I’d heard they’re good. I have my sub set to about 38Hz as that’s the lowest my evos go. I think linn kans only go to about 70 or 80Hz. I liked them in a tiny room against the wall but sounded tinny in a bigger room. Any opinions on the items available for sale now mentioned above?

Oicok! Yes, they’re inexpensive alright but do they sound good? Which models recommended for nait 3?

Oicok! Yes, they’re inexpensive alright but do they sound good? Which models recommended for nait 3?

If you mean JPW I heard ap2 & 3
Even owned one pair decades back
Yes they sound good IMO, others may disagree.
I'd buy any available if ok condition and price.

Your amp will have no problems with any of the speakers mentioned here.
Allthough it likes long lenght of speakerwire as most Naim of that era.

Couldn't find the ES12 auction.

advertisement

Back