advertisement

Bookshelf speaker to Match Ion System Amplifiers

Scott

I am looking to get some smaller speakers to use with my MA40 Power and SP1 Pre anyone with thoughts on a good match?

OK, maybe that is too vague ....
I used to run Linn Tukans with these amps (prior to my existing Shahinian Arcs), so I was thinking Linn Katan would be a good match or possibly Harbeth P3ESRs.
For aesthetic purposes (i.e. my better half) it would be good to have a speaker that can go close to the wall. I know the Linn can - I dont know so much about the Harbeth?
Any help/pointers would be appreciated
Thanks

A pair of Royd Sorcerers or Merlins would be my choice. However, the P3ESRs will be far more refined. They won't be as fast, lively or 'direct' though.

Or for something more modern, a pair of Amphion Argon speakers are very room-friendly, very balanced sound.

Try and find a pair of Ion Systems JC 1A speakers! They are the same size as Kans or P3s, ported to the rear but the speaker is nearly fully stuffed with wool so the port doesn't do too much. The crossovers are external and live in a little wooden box that sits above or below the speaker. There are some pictures in the main Nytech thread.
If you manage to find another pair of MA40s and some active boards you can drive the speakers actively.
The JC1A speakers were highly regarded in their time and Naim also recommended them.

If you can't find a pair of JC1As then perhaps a well cared for pair of ARC050 speakers (designed to work against a wall) might fit the bill.

As you no doubt already know the MA40 can drive nearly anything with ease, so perhaps look for some classic speakers that were considered hard to drive, Acoustic Energy AE1, Celestion SL6 ?

Thanks to both ...
I do like Royds so will take a look there and I was thinking about the JC1As but wasn't sure if maybe a bit old now? but will definitely take a look...

Thanks to both ...
I do like Royds so will take a look there and I was thinking about the JC1As but wasn't sure if maybe a bit old now? but will definitely take a look...

The Something Solid SL24 work well with Royd & other '7L' bookshelves, excellent in fact.

They are also as subtle as you'll get with regard to looks...

Having owned P3ESRs & being the current owner (for now) of some Amphion Argon1s I feel qualified to offer an opinion. Both speakers do that small monitor speaker trick of disappearing & forming an expansive 3D soundstage, the P3s have a sweeter midrange, the Argons counter by going deeper & having a smoother top end. Both worked well for me closer to the front wall than is ideal, the Argons are in fact as Yomanze suggested designed to work properly in the real world. Overall I prefer the Amphions but if I did a lot of radio listening would probably pick the Harbeths.
TS

Now thinking about some vintage (restored) Sara's or is that the romantic in me going mad????

Now thinking about some vintage (restored) Sara's or is that the romantic in me going mad????

You’re not going mad, these Sara’s are lovely speakers with big bold sound and very capable.
To me, this is the kind of speaker that makes you forget about the technical details and gets you INTO the music.
Nevertheless, they are power hungry so the bare minimum to drive these babies would be a Naim NAP 160, any other Naim bigger cousins or a 2 x 100 watts amplifier.

advertisement

Back