advertisement

Bookshelf speaker recommendations

Amber Audio

This is the Day
Looking for a pair of passive small speakers to sit on a desk, they will sit a few inches in front of a window not hard against a wall so rear ports should be OK.

Size wise somewhere around the 30cm high mark would be as large as I'd want.

Budget about £300 ish - don't mind new/ex dem/used.

I had some Rega RS1 a good while ago and liked them a lot, so thought maybe the RX1 but they seem well over budget. Thinking maybe Dali Zensor 1 or 3.

Amp is a Magnum IA125 fed off a Sonos ZP80, using an old pair of Neat Petites which I don't really care for, sound is thin.

Plan is to get a wall shelf so I can get a TT in the mix and try a few amps I've not owned before, fancy a Sugden or Croft.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Gus

Richers have some keen pricing on a few options at the moment:

q-acoustics 3020
elac debut b5
dali pico

Might be worth popping into a local store to listen to a few.

@SS Helium 410 good reviews but a bit steep at £600 though, considering their intended use

@JE Thanks, 6 hour round trip to nearest Richers, Dali Pico do look promising. Don't want actives so I can mess with different amps.

I've got some Dali Zensor 1's I'm using with a Sonos amp in the bedroom and they sound very good for their size (27cm high)

@SS Helium 410 good reviews but a bit steep at £600 though, considering their intended use

@JE Thanks, 6 hour round trip to nearest Richers, Dali Pico do look promising. Don't want actives so I can mess with different amps.

The Helium 410 is £480/pair.

I've got some Dali Zensor 1's I'm using with a Sonos amp in the bedroom and they sound very good for their size (27cm high)

Yeah they look good, had a trawl around the web the other day looking at possible speakers and they caught my eye, the 3 are probably a bit large.

The Q3020 look a bit deep for where I will have them.

Yeah they look good, had a trawl around the web the other day looking at possible speakers and they caught my eye, the 3 are probably a bit large.

The Q3020 look a bit deep for where I will have them.

Had the Q2020i before and wasn't too impressed with them

Neat Iotas should fit the bill nicely - seem to go for £300-400 secondhand and imo sound really good in small spaces. I'm using them with the Naim Atom

Neat Iotas should fit the bill nicely - seem to go for £300-400 secondhand and imo sound really good in small spaces. I'm using them with the Naim Atom

I see a pair at £449 on 2ndhandhif but I don't like the Neat Petites and can't demo.

Audio Note AX2s, if they're not too big. Would need to be second hand.

Doubt these will be in budget, £300 is what I'm happy to spend and then wait for an amp I fancy trying to come up in classifieds.

Linn Katans are the best standmounts I've found short of Harbeth P3 ESRs and they can be easily found for less than £300. You can plonk them anywhere and they will sound fabulous. Pretty much the opposite of Kans.

Natural vocals, piano and percussion and capable of substantial SPLs. And they can be mounted on Linn's Brakit wall mount.

I'd agree with the comments about the Neats, as screechy as Royds, but without any of their good qualities.

Neat Petites - Tried everything to make them sing but all they wanted to do was scream.

advertisement

Back