advertisement

Bohemian Rhapsody - 45 years old

Jamie

pfm Member
Where does the time go?
Takes me back to when I was 14, swimming club Christmas discos and all that.
Still sounds as ground-breaking as ever, I still play my Night at the Opera fairly regularly.

It's probably a bit Marmite on here though?

Takes me back to when I was 14, swimming club Christmas discos and all that.
19 in my case, doing the student holidays relief postie job. I still remember carrying that bagful of cards whenever I hear it. Or Art For Art’s Sake. Or Golden Years.

It was a great song at the time for me too. A Night At The Opera was on Sky Arts last night as part of the Classic Albums series. I'm not the biggest Queen fan but I certainly wouldn't dismiss them as a load of shite. They've made some fine pop music.

I remember it being everywhere as a teenager (I’d have been 12 when it came out, though it stayed at #1 forever IIRC). I could never decide if I liked Queen. I certainly respect them, especially Brian May who is a totally unique and original guitarist (and seems a great bloke too), but I can’t imagine ever actually wanting to play a Queen album again. I had a few as a kid though. They got sold in my Great New Wave Purge and I’ve never felt the need to replace them (unlike a lot of other stuff I sold at the time).

14, nearly 15 when BR was released, my mate said have you heard it yet, he said it is like Opera.
I already had the first three Queen albums so was pleased to receive the new album as a Christmas present and it was played to death. Lost interest after the next album. Still got my original copies of Queen 1 & 2 though.
Long lost days....

Total fandango pish.

Can't believe how many English punters fall for this shite same with that Elbow crap. National treasures, laughable.

Its like don't mention the war or don't mention how shite Queen were.

In other news; 13th December 1975 Patti Smith’s Horses was released. It still astonishes me how old that record is, just so far ahead of the game!

Now that I do remember. I reviewed it for the student rag, and told everyone I knew to go out and buy a copy!

I was 3, needless to say I don't remember it being released or being in the charts.
Although I'm not a massive Queen fan I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments.

Perhaps for many of us Twotone it’s childhood memories, in my case 11 when it spent its 9 weeks I think it was at the top, Sunday night bath time with top 30 IIRC playing on portable radio on bathroom window sill. Personally there were songs I liked off every album until Jazz after which I lost interest.

I have a mate who loves 80s pop ie the Brit new wave stuff and I can’t stand it, we’ve been mates for over 30 years and our taste is still polarised on the 80s, I was getting my mainstream fix from US AOR as the stuff here was so dire to my ears. Thankfully I’ve never had a mate that liked stuff like the Smiths, that bloke is still no 1 on the list of artists I would like to slap, lots of laughs.

But the diverse musical taste we all have is a good thing I’m sure. It was getting into hifi and discovering new music with every audition or conversation that opened up music fantastically for me. Suddenly I’m hearing Joe Cocker, Joe Satriani, Lyle Lovett, Clannad and countless others which I wasn’t hearing on mainstream radio or anywhere else.

BR being 45 years old doesn’t make me feel old per se, Freddie Mercury being dead for nearly 30 years does.

I was 25 (and married) when it came out, and into prog. Didn't know what to make of it at first, but it grew on me. I think Queen were a superb band and still listen to some of their tracks. Freddy was just amazing, and their set at Live Aid was wonderful. My sister-in-law, who up until then had no interest in music, got really grabbed by Bohemian Rhapsody and, with the gentle help of her kind and thoughtful brother-in-law, got exposed to other interesting music.

Well I was 16 and had just started working in a factory at the time it was bloody God awful listening to it every day for months.

Personally I think Queen were ripping the Pish with that crap and most people fell for it.

Before that song they were kinda okay after it they lost their minds with some of the subsequent Shite they put out.

Total fandango pish.

Can't believe how many English punters fall for this shite same with that Elbow crap. National treasures, laughable.

Its like don't mention the war or don't mention how shite Queen were.
Can only agree.
I feel exactly the same way about Dark Side Of The Moon or anything else that didn't have Syd Barrett on as another personal example - Horses for courses and all that.

Don't get me started on Brian May's guitar 'sound'....

Although I'm not a massive Queen fan I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments.

People's obscene intolerance for the beliefs and tastes of others, when they affect precisley no-one, and worse, their casual broadcasting of those biases and intolerances, always horrifies me.

There are legions of things in this world that are not to my taste, but I would never publicly decry them, except in private, personal joking.

Sad.

advertisement

Back