Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bo Diddley RIP

Discussion in 'music' started by sideshowbob, Jun 2, 2008.

1. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

2. jimb0

jimb0 Jelly Roll Soul

RIP indeed.

3. nightcleaner

nightcleaner pfm Member

4. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants I'm a Shop Keeper

5. dss

dss Musical Bons

He was a gunslinger you know.

I appreciate him.

DS

6. Kit Taylor

Kit Taylor Well-Known Member

Dun-geh-dun-geh-dun--dun'dun

7. lostintheozone

lostintheozone Cabin Boy

I expect now he is dead we will get a programme about him and what a seminal influence he was /is - and the standard talking heads will pontificate on how music was forever changed ...........
    For me he was the big black guy with red cigar box guitar who together with Chuck Berry and Howlin Wolf made a strange and wonderful sound that was different to anything else this white boy could hear in mid-Wales in the 60s.

Guy

8. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants I'm a Shop Keeper

a Road Runner too :)

9. lostintheozone

lostintheozone Cabin Boy

that was on the album too and we could make the noise too with round wound strings

10. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

Great shame...

11. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

Chaps

Why do we over do the praise when some one dies. Bo Diddly was just another musician.

When I snuff it, will PFM collapse under the weight of glowing tributes, will Les W admit I was really right about bodging all along, will the ever negative Bob McCuckie heap praise upon me saying the world was a better place when I left it thanks to my wonderful contribution to mankind. Will Tony show repentance for banning me 3 times and bare his ass in Rochdale town centre in shame.

Count.d on the Naim forum once made the point that when someone goes to the pearly gates, seven or eight forum members heap praise upon a perfectly normal person .... he was right.

Regards

Mick

12. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

A crying shame. He was one of the greats and we're losing them all too soon.

13. prowla

prowla pfm Member

I've never owned one of his records, and never saw him, so I won't be particularly mourning him.
    But he's one of the ones that you can trace modern rock music back to.
    And as such. he made more of a mark on the world than anybody on PFM (even Mick!).

14. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

He was the only old geezer I ever saw at the many Cambridge Folk Festivals I was dragged to as a youth by my parents that I thought was brill. Loads more fun than either Tom Robinson or Chas N' Dave. RIP.

15. dss

dss Musical Bons

Eh? is Chas or Dave dead then is it?

DS

16. prowla

prowla pfm Member

They died on stage at Knebworth a few years back!

17. lostintheozone

lostintheozone Cabin Boy

That was my point about the media reaction. But as far as I am concerned (and no doubt some of the others that have responded) he was part of my growing up and just as I mourn the passing of my school mates (we are of that age) so I can mourn the person that made the music that was the background to my youth. That is not saying that they were the best person or musician in the world but merely recognizing the fact that they were important to me and now they are gone.

Guy

18. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Quicksilver Messenger Service: Happy Trails. without Bo, no great record

Kevin

19. Carl Nyqvist

Carl Nyqvist pfm Member

Because death is a good reminder of that people exist.

Carl

20. I don't mind marking the passing of one of the founding fathers of Rock'n' Roll, he was a guitar genius of the first order (anyone can play well...only a few can invent a whole style themselves!)...Bo we tip a collective hat in your direction and in the unlikely event that Heaven exists hope you are first in the queue for a 'shave and a haircut, two bits'

Paul