advertisement

BNC to AES/EBU Connection

eevo1969

pfm Member
I have a Digione Signature that I want to compare with a USBridge Signature but have no BNC input on my DAC so if I buy a appropriate cable and use a XLR to BNC Impedance Transformer
110 Ω to 75 Ω would it be transparent sonically? I already use the coaxial input on my DAC and have no desire to change anything hence the question.

Where does it claim to have such a thing? Looks like a perfectly normal XLR connector attached to a coax cable. It will probably work despite the impedance mismatch. It's not usually that critical.

Neutrik make proper transformers with various combinations of connectors: https://www.neutrik.co.uk/neutrik/products/accessories/aes-ebu-impedance-transformers

Via PM when I asked about the suitability.
No doubt it’ll work but I’ll stick to the Neutrik transformer as you’ve linked to, price seems reasonable and the additional cabling cost is not expensive. Thanks again.

I have one in a drawer at home, I'll check later but I think it's XLR Female - BNC. If wanted I'll post it for £25.

I have used SPDIF to AES using a short cables on my Behringer Ultradrive and it seemed quite happy

Looking for a impedance transformer led me to this cable, any opinions on its validity of impedance matching passive circuit included in the cable? I have purchased from this seller before with no issues but I’m technically limited.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28496110...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Looks like it is just the cable allowing your connection. I doubt there is any matching other than the connectors. Normally you can connect 2 resistors inside the XLR to present 75ohms to the RCA end, but I doubt that is what they are offering here...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Looks like it is just the cable allowing your connection. I doubt there is any matching other than the connectors. Normally you can connect 2 resistors inside the XLR to present 75ohms to the RCA end, but I doubt that is what they are offering here...

So there is a valid reason to match the Impedance, would damage to equipment be a possibility or would audible distortion be present? I’ve ordered the appropriate connections anyway and looking forward to hearing the Digione.

So there is a valid reason to match the Impedance, would damage to equipment be a possibility or would audible distortion be present? I’ve ordered the appropriate connections anyway and looking forward to hearing the Digione.

You wouldn’t damage the equipment but you might get data loss or corruption during use.

On a vintage perpetual technologies P-3a DAC I made up my own cable as I needed 2 BNC inputs, worked fine without any impedance matching gubbins- think the main difference is voltage level - AES/EBU expects higher voltage. Try and see :)

On a vintage perpetual technologies P-3a DAC I made up my own cable as I needed 2 BNC inputs, worked fine without any impedance matching gubbins- think the main difference is voltage level - AES/EBU expects higher voltage. Try and see :)
The minimum allowed voltage is the same for both.

advertisement

Back