advertisement

BMW i3

Ponty

pfm Member
Well, we’ve tried the one car route, and it’s a PITA too often. Fabulous for touring with its 700 mile range but we could do with a second car for local trips. Range not overly important and can charge at home, so no ball ache of overpriced public charging. I quite like the look of the i3. Something like the below. Anyone have any experience of these?

Great car we had one for 5 years. Ours was the range extender model although we only used that once. We obtained around 120 miles on a charge. Downsides are that it is only a four seater, limited luggage space and the suicide doors are a bit of a pain. If you buy one make sure it comes with the charging cable(not the 13amp plus one) as they are not cheap. Good performance and handles well.

A mate owned 2. The first was a lemon and he was glad to get shot of it, the second was better but some eye-watering bills under warranty before he had to pay for them thankfully and it has some gotchas.

The bills, £60 each for wiper blades, £550 each for door seals (yes really). Bespoke tyres at £220 each because of limited choice for the bespoke sizes.

The gotchas, BMW has built in 8 hours of labour at their premium rates if the battery has to be accessed, the high capacity cable is specifically excluded from warranty and eye-wateringly expensive, any minor knock to the special cell-chassis that would be a repair on an ICE car is a write off as insurers won’t spend on that, BMW has dropped the range extender that was a major selling feature for many.

As I watched his ownership journey an i3 wasn’t a car I was tempted by at any time for these sorts of reasons.

Had two: 2015 i3 REX 60 and a 2019 i3s BEV 120. Great cars, so much fun, personality and wonderful to drive. Both were faultless. Range is a bit on the low side by today's standards but they are very i teresting cars with a lot of forward thinking, quite unlike their horrid replacements which are in many ways a retrograde step.

A mate owned 2. The first was a lemon and he was glad to get shot of it, the second was better but some eye-watering bills under warranty before he had to pay for them thankfully and it has some gotchas.

The bills, £60 each for wiper blades, £550 each for door seals (yes really). Bespoke tyres at £220 each because of limited choice for the bespoke sizes.

The gotchas, BMW has built in 8 hours of labour at their premium rates if the battery has to be accessed, the high capacity cable is specifically excluded from warranty and eye-wateringly expensive, any minor knock to the special cell-chassis that would be a repair on an ICE car is a write off as insurers won’t spend on that, BMW has dropped the range extender that was a major selling feature for many.

As I watched his ownership journey an i3 wasn’t a car I was tempted by at any time for these sorts of reasons.

Christ, that doesn’t sound good! VW iD3’s are the same sort of money, might consider that instead.

PS. Paul has basically covered the negatives. BMW dealers are, as a breed, bloody awful and with the i3 you do run a bit of a risk should anything go wrong. Future classic though...

PS. Paul has basically covered the negatives. BMW dealers are, as a breed, bloody awful and with the i3 you do run a bit of a risk should anything go wrong. Future classic though...

Hmm, sounds a huge potential liability. I want zero hassle and low running costs, not a world of pain!

The i3 was an exhibition piece, unique and an example of just how far you can take a concept into a viable production car. Company car owners at our Firm loved them although one guy managed to run out of battery and petrol in his range extender model after a tortuous journey. Perhaps he was getting cocky. The 'limp mode' under operation on the range extender is a bit dodgy on a motorway.

I agree a future classic. and a very clever design.

I wouldn't buy one mainly because I would fear for the chassis in an accident, not that it would fail to the point that I would get seriously hurt but that the car might be written off as uneconomic to repair due to the carbon chassis.

yes buy a honda jazz ... bulletproof !!! one reads the motoring press and the VW infotainment screens are always coming up with problems

Agreed, get a Toyota or a Honda. That said my purchase of a 1300cc (or is it 1200cc?) 4 cylinder Fiat 500 lounge for my missus was a good one, simple mechanics, easyish to fix and maintain and people still want one after all this time, I don't expect it to be difficult to shift when we have finished with it, 13 years and counting.

advertisement

Back