advertisement

BMW EGR fiasco

palindrome

Thru a hedge, backwards and forwards.
I drive (ho ho) a BMW 420D. 2 years ago I had the EGR replaced due to risk of failure of the component which, in a small number of cases, caused the unit to combust. Today I received another red letter from BMW advising that the unit needs to be replaced again. I've googled around a bit and the actual problem appears unclear; ie - is it the exact same issue or something related that perhaps should have been fixed first time around and wasn't.

Any other BMW drivers received the notification? Had a second replacement? Know the actual cause?

John

Are they doing it for free? If so, I wouldn't worry about it, just get it fixed.
My EGR light occasionally comes on, after 180k miles it's no surprise. As I do mostly long trips for work, it tends to keep itself reasonably clean and occasionally comes on for a few days before disappearing when the accumulated scrod burns off on the motirway. I'm hoping this happy situation will persist, at the moment I have a 30 mile commute with 20 minutes of that at 65-70 so I'm hoping that this will keep it clean.

@kendo

Yes, seen that, thanks.

@stevec67

Yes, its FOC, as it was last time. Just curious whether BMW screwed the pooch by (possibly) cheaping-out last time, or maybe something else related has come to their attention. Not had any warning lights or indications of misbehaviour myself (67,500 mls), but will certainly be getting it done when they send me a confirmation letter with a job slot. Thanks.

John

advertisement

Back