advertisement

Bluesound Node 2 or Auralic Aries Mini

Iceman16

pfm Member
Hi all, Can you please give me some thoughts if you have any experience with these 2 music streamers. I currently use my laptop connected to Chord chordette gem via usb. I think the Node2 does’nt have a usb output which is the only way I can connect to the dac. In terms of sound quality which do you think sounds better (I know it’s subjective) but please share your opinion.
Thanks

I’ve read a few times that the Aries is on the clinical side, whereas the Bluesound has more body and warmth to its sound.

I own both and each is good in its own right, though I haven’t tested the preamp abilities of either up to now. If MQA matters, only the Bluesound has full MQA capability, though the Aries Mini can do ‘pseudo-MQA’. Both can be Roon endpoints, but you need to be on the latest Beta firmware via an Auralic account on the Mini. The Mini also has the ability to house a hard drive in the base and can act as a UPnP device. The Bluesound does not do UPnP, it uses network shares to find your music. The Auralic will do DSD, the Bluesound will not. There is no Android control app for the Auralic. The app for each is quite different but both are pretty extensive. Arguably you don’t need the Chord with either of them.

I have an email to Auralic asking them if they plan to update or discontinue the Mini...It also seems that Node 2 may be due for an update?

I have an email to Auralic asking them if they plan to update or discontinue the Mini...It also seems that Node 2 may be due for an update?
Hi DimitryZ, do you mean software update for the Node2 or will they introduce a Node3?

I’m not sure I can answer that in a meaningful way. Certainly several people have said that the Auralic is a bit more ‘forward’, but I’m afraid I’m very guarded about accepting other people’s words in relation to the sound of an audio component. They’re almost meaningless in my opinion. I realise that doesn’t help you much. The Auralic does give you a choice of filters, so I suppose it’s more flexible in that regard. I don’t find either lacking in detail or cohesion, though it may depend on the rest of the playback chain. The Auralic can be used with an upgraded external power supply too. There is no suggestion of any new version of the Bluesound Node 2. As for production of the Mini, I don’t know.

Auralic owner emailed me to say that the Mini is no longer available in the US market and that Aries has been replaced by Aries G1. They also have a slightly cheaper alternative called Altair, but all of their products now are quite expensive, IMO. I guess I was hopeful that Node 3 would be on the horizon.

I am weary of purchasing a product that is being discontinued. At the same time Logitech is still going strong with old hardware...There is a batch of Transports SE available in the US. Nice looking machines, if really outdated...But they have an AKM "magic dac" inside!

Auralic withdrew the Mini from several markets owing to production constraints I think. They have a lot of new stuff to concentrate on.

Auralic withdrew the Mini from several markets owing to production constraints I think. They have a lot of new stuff to concentrate on.
Too bad, it was their only "affordable" streamer.

There seems to be a hole in the audiophile sub $1k market in this niche. Node 2 seems to be the only well supported design. SOTM box seems nice, but appears to be hard to setup and one has to use generic software to stream from services. I don't know enough about this world to start a new diy sub-hobby. I am looking for a ~$500 solution, maybe on its own or maybe connected to a Project S2D.

Lindemann Audio are due to introduce a Roon Ready streamer as part of their new Lime Tree budget range. It might be worth considering when it launches.

I can’t comment on a direct comparison, but I have a Node 2, connected via SPDIF into my own DAC (TeddyDAC VC) and it seems equal to a good cd source at least. It also appears to be well supported, and the iPad version of the app pretty solid. On first set up, I used it to stream ripped cds from a pc in another room. I’ve subsequently added a Qobuz subscription.

I can’t comment on a direct comparison, but I have a Node 2, connected via SPDIF into my own DAC (TeddyDAC VC) and it seems equal to a good cd source at least. It also appears to be well supported, and the iPad version of the app pretty solid. On first set up, I used it to stream ripped cds from a pc in another room. I’ve subsequently added a Qobuz subscription.
Thanks Andrew, have you used the node2 without using an outboard dac? If so how does it compare when using it with your TeddyDac?
Im currently subscribed to Tidal hifi.

Thanks Andrew, have you used the node2 without using an outboard dac? If so how does it compare when using it with your TeddyDac?
Im currently subscribed to Tidal hifi.
Hi, sorry no, for the simple reason that I have the VC (volume control) version of the TD, direct into the ST60 power amp, ie no analogue preamp facility, as I have only digital sources.

Auralic owner emailed me to say that the Mini is no longer available in the US market and that Aries has been replaced by Aries G1. They also have a slightly cheaper alternative called Altair, but all of their products now are quite expensive, IMO. I guess I was hopeful that Node 3 would be on the horizon.

I am weary of purchasing a product that is being discontinued. At the same time Logitech is still going strong with old hardware...There is a batch of Transports SE available in the US. Nice looking machines, if really outdated...But they have an AKM "magic dac" inside!

The Aries Mini will continue to be sold in Europe, including in the UK. I am not sure about other territories. There are no immediate plans to replace it, although I have no doubt that there will be an Aries Mini II, Vega Lite or some other alternative along to replace it one day. The Altair is really best considered as a lower priced alternative to the Vega G1 and G2 streaming DACs, or as a higher performance alternative to the Aries Mini. The Aries G1, G2 and also the original (now discontinued) Aries do not have built-in DACs.

@OP. I would buy both used and sell one on after trying them for a while

I had the Mini and liked it a lot, not that far behind a NDX and for a lot less dosh. I have the Aries G2 now, traded the NDX. I use a QNAP NAS and Asset / Roon but did try the Mini with SSD in and Lighning Server, it”s a fast music setver setup like that and a decent App. I also had the power supply but couldn't tell any difference when using the digital out, maybe it would help the analogue out.

Gus

advertisement

Back