advertisement

Blue Note Records: Beyond The Notes BBC4 15/11/19

Yes, watched this too, and enjoyed it. Thanks for alerting us to this. I particularly enjoyed the contributions of Lou Donaldson, Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter. However, I do find myself increasingly frustrated by TV. There were lots of aspects of the Blue Notes story they touched on and I thought I'd like to know more. But maybe it is a success if it leaves you wanting more. Loved the snippets of all the good music from this label and I've been playing Speak No Evil this evening.

It could easily have been a multi-part series. The photos were exceptional bb

Very informative and especially enjoyed the story behind the two co founders Jazz music fans Alfred Lion and Frank Wolff leaving Nazi Germany just before the outbreak of World War 2 and also the idea that so many of the fantastic records I own where recorded in RVG's parents living room with a recording booth cut into one wall.

Excellent, really enjoyed the programme, I just wanted the the bits of archive film and music extracts to go on longer. It's worth watching for the Hancock / Shorter double act alone.

Loved it also. Worth it for the Monk footage alone, he really does have the most Jazz sounding speaking voice ever. I bought the Horace Silver - 'Song for my father' on the back of it.

One odd thing is that I completely forgot that Nora Jones existed & was reminded how massive she was for a short while. Most of her music is a bit bland but she has a stunning voice.

Good Lord. What will we do without the BBC when Murdoch finally succeeds in destroying it.
Well you can watch this film from a multitude of other sources. Production had nothing at all to do with the BBC. In fact if we'd had our fingers on the pulse middle of last year when it was released we could have caught it at a cinema. Which I think would have been rather good.

I own 2 x SACD. One is Pink Floyd DSOTM. The other is Norah Jones Come away with me.

I have absolutely no idea why that is (well, actually, it was more than likely cheap in a sale)

Sounds good in surround though!

Good Doc. Thanks for the heads up.

It could easily have been a multi-part series. The photos were exceptional bb

There is a new book of Francis Wolff's Jazz photographs due out at the beginning of March next year. Available to pre order from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/8409127121/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

It's well worth checking out William Caxton, Herman Leonard and Roy DeCarava's Jazz photography as well. I saw a great retrospective exhibition at MOMA on Roy DeCarava some years back and his book from 1955 on Harlem with Langston Hughes 'The Sweet Fly Paper of Life' is an essential photo book.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Worth saying that the overall design of the album covers is generally excellent. Photography & typesetting perfectly combined.

Loved it also. Worth it for the Monk footage alone, he really does have the most Jazz sounding speaking voice ever. I bought the Horace Silver - 'Song for my father' on the back of it.

One odd thing is that I completely forgot that Nora Jones existed & was reminded how massive she was for a short while. Most of her music is a bit bland but she has a stunning voice.
Oh that LP is a classic, I like Horaces 70s stuff too, even his cheesey 80s stuff.

Check out his LP 'Total Reponse', you will never hear advice on healthy eating sound so good.........'When eating don't be rude, be sure to chew your food' and 'The natural foods are best, so when your able read the label'!

advertisement

Back