advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

Unless I see a really cheap pre-order I’ll wait for the Tone Poet & BN Classic stuff. These aren’t limited editions and from what I can tell the Amazon price can drop very substantially after release. There are a good number of both series I want this year including the Bobby Hutcherson in a few days, but I see no reason to preorder at the current Amazon price of £29. Lose a tenner and I’ll bite!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've started giving Juno a much larger share of my new record purchases since Amazon stopped using record mailers last September and started sending the records out in paper bags. I've had at least 10 come in bags, 2/3rds of which, unsurprisingly, had creased corners. Numerous complaints haven't made an iota of a difference. Even the replacements come in paper bags! Asking for the package to be sent in Amazon packaging or send as a gift has also made no difference. Thoroughly sick of Amazon now.

Is buying from a local bricks and mortar shop an option?

I buy a lot of these releases online as it's often a few quid cheaper but I'm thinking I should really be popping into town and giving my cash to Ray's Jazz. Trouble is I'm quite likely to spot other 'essential' purchases while I'm there....

There are a good number of both series I want this year including the Bobby Hutcherson in a few days, but I see no reason to preorder at the current Amazon price of £29. Lose a tenner and I’ll bite!
£21 at Presto as is Genius of Modern Music Vol. 1. Throw in a fiver off £30 spend voucher that they emailed me this week and that came to £18.50 each. Hooray!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

I buy a lot of these releases online as it's often a few quid cheaper but I'm thinking I should really be popping into town and giving my cash to Ray's Jazz. Trouble is I'm quite likely to spot other 'essential' purchases while I'm there....
I buy all mine from a real shop in Walsall (nowhere near me) that does mail order. He’s not cheap but I don’t mind keeping him in business and everything comes the week of release in immaculate packaging.

I buy a lot of these releases online as it's often a few quid cheaper but I'm thinking I should really be popping into town and giving my cash to Ray's Jazz.
Quite so. I understand Tony’s keenness for us to buy everything from Amazon, and I do sometimes buy through the affiliate links - one this afternoon in fact - but every time I do I feel I die a little. I feel the local high streets do too. I’d rather support pfm by other means - and try to - but buy from proper shops when I can. I even make a point of picking up my Presto purchases in person (no hardship, it’s a great shop to visit.)

Ray’s have had quite a few of the Classics at £18 while the standard online price has been £22. They don’t always have everything though.

Quite so. I understand Tony’s keenness for us to buy everything from Amazon, and I do sometimes buy through the affiliate links - one this afternoon in fact - but every time I do I feel I die a little. I feel the local high streets do too. I’d rather support pfm by other means - and try to - but buy from proper shops when I can. I even make a point of picking up my Presto purchases in person (no hardship, it’s a great shop to visit.)

Tony, two quick question as, I'm sure like everyone else here, I want to support the site.

Do you get revenue from click throughs, linked purchases or both?

For non Amazon users - or those of us wishing to support either local stores or independent online sellers - are there any other ways we can also support pfm when we buy records we find out about about here?

Personally, I'd be happy to explore ways that you can benefit from the many purchases I make after reading about releases here if I buy them from my local store or elsewhere. If it wasn't for pfm and those who post here I'd have very possibly have missed many of my favourite records from the past decade or more.

( Note to self: Maybe using the pfm record shop would be a good start....)

Last edited:
Do you get revenue from click throughs, linked purchases or both?

Thanks, it is purchases, but that is any purchase you make there within (I think) a 24 hour timeframe after clicking a link, e.g. if you click on a link for a Tone Poet, decide it is too dear, but buy a bargain laptop or whatever within that timeframe pfm gets the commission for that.

Personally, I'd be happy to explore ways that you can benefit from the many purchases I make after reading about releases here if I buy them from my local store or elsewhere. If it wasn't for pfm and those who post here I'd have very possibly have missed many of my favourite records from the past decade or more.

There is a ‘donation’ button on the menu bar at the top of the screen, though I can accept anything e.g. unwanted but good condition record & CD, audio kit etc. Anything I can resale at a decent profit.

PS Probably the wrong thread for this but revenue is certainly declining at present, and at a time costs are going up. I’m substantially down on ad revenue compared to last year or the year before despite similar traffic. It is either another ‘Brexit benefit’ or den to increased ad-blocker use. There will come a time when I have to monetise the classified area with paid subscriptions, start a Patreon, or look to other means. That said I’m very lazy, I’m months behind invoicing Trade Accounts again…

Can ayone tell me what guitar/equipment GG was playing on Green is Beautiful (1970) - no session pics on these Classics of course! A Day in The Life is fun :)

They're both fine pressings this month and mine arrived a day early too!

I like the look of those!
As it is a 1970 Recording it is probably a Gibson L7, but possibly a Epiphone Emperor. He achieved his particular ‘punchy’ tone by turning off the bass and treble on his amplifier.

I passed on this one and I am waiting for Amazon to drop the price on San Francisco. Their preorder prices are ridiculous now even if I get free shipping. I may pick it up from Honest Jon’s if I manage to get into town.

As it is a 1970 Recording it is probably a Gibson L7, but possibly a Epiphone Emperor. He achieved his particular ‘punchy’ tone by turning off the bass and treble on his amplifier.

I passed on this one and I am waiting for Amazon to drop the price on San Francisco. Their preorder prices are ridiculous now even if I get free shipping. I may pick it up from Honest Jon’s if I manage to get into town.

I found this. I guess it was still his L7

https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/jazz-guitarists-guitar-gear/#grantgreen

This is the famous picture Funk in France from around that time

iu

I found this. I guess it was still his L7

https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/jazz-guitarists-guitar-gear/#grantgreen

This is the famous picture Funk in France from around that time

iu
Gavin I’m no expert at all on Guitars, but looking at the neck the one in your photo looks more like a D’Aquisto New Yorker that he played from 1972. https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2380/lots/22
But it could be an Epiphone Emperor? https://en.audiofanzine.com/other-acoustic-guitar/epiphone/emperor-acoustic/

http://www.jazzapparatus.com/grant-green-gear/

We need a Guitar expert. :rolleyes:

Could be but it's the wrong tailpiece for the Epi. I think that one is perhaps the New Yorker too - this one below is from 66. So the 1972 date is clearly wrong because Funk in France was 1970, unless the picture is mis-credited. There's just not enough detail to be sure...

iu

Down to just over £25 on Amazon now, so I’ve taken a punt. I know I need this one and whilst I really only want to pay £20 for a Classic I can’t wait around forever!

advertisement

Back