advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

Has anyone here ( or elsewhere) done a side by side between the BN75 and Classic editions "Songs for My Father" or "Speak no Evil" ? I bought quite a few of the 75s and find them plenty good enough. I wondered whether what the Classic Edition adds is subtle or more profound.

Replaced my 75th Optimal pressing of Speak No Evil with the Classic version as I found the hardness and compression on the 75th edition difficult to enjoy, it got in the way. Classic sounds far better, more relaxed, open (easier to follow the layers of music) and dynamic.

I also have the Classic Song For My Farther and all I can say is it’s excellent, nothing to complain about, and the repair job on the first track is acceptable (and far superior to my McMaster CD). Don’t have any other version to compare it to.

The thing about Midnight Blue is it’s such a great recording it would probably be difficult to find a poor rendition. The same can’t be said for Speak No Evil, which is quite a complex arrangement by comparison.

Kevin,
I have also found some of the BN75's to be quite good especially if you have the Optimal pressing rather than the United. I think most of the complaints concern United pressing issues. Of those I have they do vary a bit though. I don't have the BN75 of Song for My Father, but I just have the DeAgostini a CD and the Music Matters 2x45rpm reissue. The MM overall easily beats both in comparison, but there a little distortion in in original recording with SFMF so the DeAgostini or the BN75 are possibly good enough without this comparison.

I don't have the BN75 of Speak No Evil either, just a fairly early pressing, the DAgostini and a CD. Both the early pressing or DEAgostini seem pretty good. Can't remember if I compared directly, but the DeAgostini is pretty good on its own. This was one along with Something Else in the BN Classics that I have considered to see if it is a worthwhile improvement.

I suppose it depends how much you want to double dip. It's a slippery slope that I have been on occasionally, but there is so much other good music out there that if you are are satisfied with what of have is it worth it?

I have the BN75 of Midnight Blue as well. It is good, but I agree with Graham regarding the recording and this is one of best of the remasters in BN75 as well.

I’ll be buying any of the Classics that I already have from DeAgostini because so many of the latter, good as the pressings are, are all but mono.

I also have the Classic Song For My Farther and all I can say is it’s excellent, nothing to complain about, and the repair job on the first track is acceptable (and far superior to my McMaster CD). Don’t have any other version to compare it to.
As I said I don't have either the BN75 or Classic of this so I am unable to say if I hear it or not, but there do seem to still be some complaints about the tape issues on the title track of the Classic on SH forum. The MM 2x45rpm used the Plangent process on this track only, the rest is all analogue, to correct this. So I don't hear tape issues on this, but I think there is a little bit of overload distortion in a few places due to Van Gelder pushing the limits recording.

As I said I don't have either the BN75 or Classic of this so I am unable to say if I hear it or not, but there do seem to still be some complaints about the tape issues on the title track of the Classic on SH forum.

The pitch issues have been documented in the past; you should hear the McMaster CD - it’s all over the place on the title track, like a badly warped acetate or LP.

Last edited:
My copy of this arrived recently.

It has a couple of ticks on playback and no visible mark on the playing surface.

Doesn’t sound as sweet as Lee Morgan ‘The Sidewinder.’ (in terms of sound quality)
Some tracks sound not bad, bass solo on Come Rain Or Come Shine doesn’t sound great.

It looks like there is no chance of swapping it for another copy, I purchased from Amazon, and they report no stock. I paid £20 for it, so will keep hold of it and clean it (again) and play it a few times. It will not get rid of the occasional tick, but will keep me busy for 20 minutes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08M2FXZLP/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

R-18150907-1617551052-5039.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers ‎– Moanin'
Label:
Blue Note ‎– ST-84003
Series:
Blue Note Classic Vinyl Series
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Stereo, 180g

Released:
09 Apr 2021

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Most retailers reporting shortfalls on their orders for Moanin', apparently. My local indie has had their order halved.

It has a couple of ticks on playback and no visible mark on the playing surface.

Doesn’t sound as sweet as Lee Morgan ‘The Sidewinder.’ (in terms of sound quality)
Some tracks sound not bad, bass solo on Come Rain Or Come Shine doesn’t sound great.

It looks like there is no chance of swapping it for another copy, I purchased from Amazon, and they report no stock. I paid £20 for it, so will keep hold of it and clean it (again) and play it a few times. It will not get rid of the occasional tick, but will keep me busy for 20 minutes.

More Images

Label:
Blue Note ‎– ST-84003
Series:
Format:

Released:
09 Apr 2021

Really disappointed with my copy of this so sadly returned to Amazon. Gave it a good clean prior to the first spin but it didn’t look great from the off, small bits of black plastic etc. Awful surface noise on side one. I’m not even particularly fussy with such things but this really wasn’t good at all. Maybe they are experiencing COVID related manufacturing issues?

My Sidewinder and Real McCoy are fine so hopefully it’s something that will be resolved.

I have to say though, the more esoteric/expensive jazz vinyl I have acquired, the more I have a real appreciation for the De Agostini reissues. They really do sound superb for the money in my opinion. Also, never had any issues with surface noise etc over around 20 albums.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I don’t get the total cheaping-out with the inner here, hard paper stuck to the vinyl with more static force than a gigantic Van Der Graaf generator. I’d have thought it would generate more written-off returns than the cost sticking the vinyl in a half-decent poly inner. If in any doubt I’d recommend cutting or tearing the inner sleeve off the vinyl rather than sliding against the amount of static force the couple I’ve seen have had. I’ve only had a couple from this range (Shorter, Silver) and they’ve been ok, but were a PITA to get out of the inners. I’d happily pay the extra for non-gatefold Tone Poet treatment here (cover and inner), the music so deserves it.

Picked up Soul Station & Moanin' today. Both LP's play through perfectly and no problems with static. Very pleased.

More Images

Label:
Blue Note ‎– ST-84003
Series:
Format:

Released:
09 Apr 2021

Most retailers reporting shortfalls on their orders for Moanin', apparently. My local indie has had their order halved.

They have fresh stock on Amazon therefore I have ordered another copy, I will send my clicky copy back. Hope it is a better batch.

Received my Wayne Shorter from Amazon this morning. Shipped from Spain and left in full sun in our greenhouse!! Didn't bode well, but this is the cleanest of the Classics to date. In the paper sleeve, but not tight at all - no scuffs or abrasions and plays through flawlessly.....not a single click or pop to be heard! :)

I thought I’d give Moanin’ another go as Amazon had fresh stock and I’m happy to report that this copy is absolutely fine. Also received Soul Station direct from the Blue Note store and no issues here either.

Another copy of Moanin’ - Blue Note Classic Vinyl Series, mastered by Kevin Gray.

The copy has pressing clicks on track one - Moanin’ and the last track side B ‘Come Rain Or Come Shine’ - the piano sounds weak on a couple of tunes, Overall I like the sound, but the clicks on a new record are irritating.
And again, no stock via Amazon at the moment.

Jimmy Smith and Sonny Clark up for order now on a few US sites - June 25th release. Can't see any UK options atm.

What do Amazon do with returns - back to Blue Note? Do you they’d sell on to someone else?

That's exactly what they do, I bought a copy of Songs For My Father about a month ago. No wrapping on it , thought it was strange took it out to play, scuff mates all over it, is wenr back for some other sucker.

advertisement

Back