August 20, 2021

• Grant Green – Idle Moments
  • Kenny Burrell – Midnight Blue
September 24, 2021

• Eric Dolphy – Out To Lunch
  • Herbie Hancock – Maiden Voyage
October 22, 2021

• Freddie Hubbard – Ready for Freddie

I'd welcome a re-press schedule. I didn't realise unless you pre-order you've almost zero chance of picking these up at anything other than inflated prices. I'm kicking myself for not pre ordering Something Else and The Real McCoy. I won't make that mistake again!

I preordered the first 4 from the Blue Note U.K. shop and I still don’t have them. Their only response is 4-14 days or you can have your money back. That is not an option until they tell me they can’t provide them. My brother in the USA has 3 of them! How can that happen?

I'd welcome a re-press schedule. I didn't realise unless you pre-order you've almost zero chance of picking these up at anything other than inflated prices. I'm kicking myself for not pre ordering Something Else and The Real McCoy. I won't make that mistake again!
I can't really see any of these being repressed soon as all record plants are running well behind and do not seem to be keeping up even when the schedules have been updated. Optimal that press these is in Germany and that is now experiencing a 3rd Covid resurgence and imposing new lockdown measures so that may make matters worst. Large companies like Universal that have big contracts with pressing plants are usually allowed to alter their own order of pressing, but I doubt the sales of these BN Classics will cause them to rise in priority.

I'm lucky enough to have pretty good pressings of all of them, but I might be tempted to try one to compare. It also seems from reports there are quite a few QC problems with many of these in comparison to the BN80's, most of which I did buy and had zero problems apart from the static stuck inner sleeves. So perhaps it's not worth rushing to get them yet? And certainly not worth paying a premium for them.

I finally picked up a copy of Konitz et al’s Alone Together from the 80 series. It’s a very fine recording, one of the best jazz club recordings I’ve heard. The presence of the instruments is superb and the group interplay fascinating, especially Mehldau’s responses to Konitz’s lines. The sound of the remaster is a real step up from the already very good cd copy I’d already got.

I ordered and received the Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil, but it arrived destroyed from Amazon. No change of getting a replacement now.

I can't really see any of these being repressed soon as all record plants are running well behind and do not seem to be keeping up even when the schedules have been updated. Optimal that press these is in Germany and that is now experiencing a 3rd Covid resurgence and imposing new lockdown measures so that may make matters worst. Large companies like Universal that have big contracts with pressing plants are usually allowed to alter their own order of pressing, but I doubt the sales of these BN Classics will cause them to rise in priority.

I'm lucky enough to have pretty good pressings of all of them, but I might be tempted to try one to compare. It also seems from reports there are quite a few QC problems with many of these in comparison to the BN80's, most of which I did buy and had zero problems apart from the static stuck inner sleeves. So perhaps it's not worth rushing to get them yet? And certainly not worth paying a premium for them.
I've only managed to get hold of Somethin Else and the Joe Henderson, but they're both excellent, no issues.

I finally picked up a copy of Konitz et al’s Alone From the 80 series. It’s a very fine recording, one of the best jazz club recordings I’ve heard. The presence of the instruments is superb and the group interplay fascinating, especially Mehldau’s responses to Konitz’s lines. The sound of the remaster is a real step up from the already very good cd copy I’d already got.
I had the CD for sometime and it excellent both musically and in sound quality so that is one I did pass on, but perhaps I should reconsider if you think it is a real step up? I think it can be found new for about £16 now as well.

Reactions: kjb
I had the CD for sometime and it excellent both musically and in sound quality so that is one I did pass on, but perhaps I should reconsider if you think it is a real step up? I think it can be found new for about £16 now as well.

I added it to my basket in the BN 20% off spring sale. It arrived the next day. I pre ordered the Andrew Hill and Dexter Gordon TPs due in May and a copy of Smokestack which is awaiting new stock. I'd never got round to buying this for some reason - very much an oversight on my part.

It also seems from reports there are quite a few QC problems with many of these in comparison to the BN80's, most of which I did buy and had zero problems apart from the static stuck inner sleeves. So perhaps it's not worth rushing to get them yet? And certainly not worth paying a premium for them.
Got to say that I've had no QC issues with the Classics that I've bought but maybe I've been lucky. I'm also lucky in that I've got a great local Indie store who have a really good relationship with Universal so no problems getting the records day of release without having to worry about damage in the post.

Got to say that I've had no QC issues with the Classics that I've bought but maybe I've been lucky. I'm also lucky in that I've got a great local Indie store who have a really good relationship with Universal so no problems getting the records day of release without having to worry about damage in the post.
As I said I have not bought any of these and I did not have any problems with the BN80's. There quite a few complaints on the SH forum about warps, non fill and dirt. Sidewinder and Something Else seem to have most complaints including multiple returns. Perhaps Europe got the got the best of the first runs? I do seem to hear more complaints in general about warps in the USA from records not pressed there, perhaps due to bigger temperature variations and shipping times?

My copy of the real McCoy has what sounds like a scratch on side 2, track 2. No scratch visible though... It took 4 to 5 weeks for Blue Note to answer my request for a replacement, when I finally got a reply they had no more copies in stock. They did let me keep the offending item and refunded me but i'll probably return to Amazon for my future purchases.

My copy of the real McCoy has what sounds like a scratch on side 2, track 2. No scratch visible though... It took 4 to 5 weeks for Blue Note to answer my request for a replacement, when I finally got a reply they had no more copies in stock. They did let me keep the offending item and refunded me but i'll probably return to Amazon for my future purchases.
That may be non fill? If you hold the record at an angel to a strong light you may possibly see what is know as 'a string of pearls' a line of small white dots.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/what-non-fill-looks

It seems London Jazz Collector did not have any problems with is copy of Somethin' Else. He certainly seems to be 'mellowing' for late. In the past nothing, but originals or very early pressings were good enough. Then he conceded that the Tone Poets were excellent and now he has added Blue Note Classics and the previous BN80's to that list. Seems he now can't get enough of what Kevin Gray does as some of us have already found out. ;)

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpre...lse-1958-blue-note-classic-vinyl-series-2021/

It seems London Jazz Collector did not have any problems with is copy of Somethin' Else. He certainly seems to be 'mellowing' for late. In the past nothing, but originals or very early pressings were good enough. Then he conceded that the Tone Poets were excellent and now he has added Blue Note Classics and the previous BN80's to that list. Seems he now can't get enough of what Kevin Gray does as some of us have already found out. ;)

And the Evil Silver Disc in his most recent Chick Corea post - which to my ears - once his samples have been level adjusted - trounces his worn out first press vinyl in every respect.

And the Evil Silver Disc in his most recent Chick Corea post - which to my ears - once his samples have been level adjusted - trounces his worn out first press vinyl in every respect.
"Piggy-back 2: CD, it’s the pits." sounds to me even on an I-Pad that it is his original that is full of pits.

"Piggy-back 2: CD, it’s the pits." sounds to me even on an I-Pad that it is his original that is full of pits.

He goes on to explain by ‘pits’ he meant pits as in representing binary digital code. I think he’s teasing us and realises the remixed CD actually has a lot going for it - centralised piano image, a bass line that is subtle and nuanced and true HF extension.

The groove wear in the left hand channel on the first press vinyl accompanying the piano on Tones for Joan’s Bones sounds to me more like Joan burning at the stake.

We digress - back to BN Classics.......

He goes on to explain by ‘pits’ he meant pits as in representing binary digital code. I think he’s teasing us and realises the remixed CD actually has a lot going for it - centralised piano image, a bass line that is subtle and nuanced and true HF extension.

The groove wear in the left hand channel on the first press vinyl accompanying the piano on Tones for Joan’s Bones sounds to me more like Joan burning at the stake.

We digress - back to BN Classics.......
Graham, Yes I did get that and I think that he meant it both ways perhaps as a tease, as did I with regard to some of the surface noise. :p I think he still regards them as the "evil Disk", but as I had mentioned in the Tone Poet post he perhaps seems to have been priced out now on buying many original pressings at the current rates especially on Blue Note. Even Music Matters reissues (although he never seemed to like them much in the past) both from their site or particularly where sold out seem very high priced now. The Tone Poets and BN Classics don't seem to have effected this market much.

Sorry to have continued off topic.

Has anyone here ( or elsewhere) done a side by side between the BN75 and Classic editions "Songs for My Father" or "Speak no Evil" ? I bought quite a few of the 75s and find them plenty good enough. I wondered whether what the Classic Edition adds is subtle or more profound.

I was playing the BN 75 Midnight Blue yesterday which sounded great - not quite as much presence as the TP "Introducing Kenny Burrell" which I played immediately afterwards but not in a different ball park by any stretch of the imagination. As things stand I'm not likely to be replacing the 75s with the newer edition.

I had a flick back to the BN 75 thread and many of use here were quite impressed by them at the time, esp the EU pressings.

BLUE NOTE 75TH ANNIVERSARY VINYL REISSUES | pink fish media

advertisement

Back