advertisement

BLUE NOTE 75TH ANNIVERSARY VINYL REISSUES

The Heavenly Sweetness version of Inventions and Dimensions is pretty good, I think they made a decent job of it, one of their better efforts. Not as dynamic as the MM45 version, but I'd have happily lived with it all the same. I really like that album, but then I'm a sucker for modal playing.

The Heavenly Sweetness version of Inventions and Dimensions is pretty good, I think they made a decent job of it, one of their better efforts. Not as dynamic as the MM45 version, but I'd have happily lived with it all the same. I really like that album, but then I'm a sucker for modal playing.

One of my fave Hancock albums as well. Very underrated IMO

poco, I'm not aware that Blue Note are releasing any titles at present beyond the 75th series, and those you have seen in Ray's Jazz could be Elemental or Heavenly Sweetness. If you read the small print at the bottom of the sleeve it will indicate whether these are licensed to either of those companies. I think both labels lost their license when the 75th series started. It would be interesting to know where those in Ray's have originated from. Do let us know.

Heavenly Sweetness and Elemental issued some interesting titles. I have Dialogue by Bobby Hutcherson on Elemental and it's a good pressing and sound, similar to 75ths but nowhere near as good as a friend's original. I also have about 10 or more Heavenly Sweetness, again similar to 75ths, perhaps a bit better in terms of warmth. I have no idea where either of these labels were pressed, but there have been some reports on the Hoffman forum of Elemental being generally preferred to 75th, although one has to remember on the Hoffman forum they are probably being compared to US United pressings.

Elemental, EU 75th series and Heavenly Sweetness are all good enough to my ears as stop gaps until original mint copies turn up for a tenner, or Music Matters decide to come out of retirement and release the entire BN catalogue. Dream on in both instances.......

Graham,
I was in finally Ray's Jazz shop again yesterday and it seems the ones mentioned in your and my above posts are Elemental (Spanish) reissues pressed by the GZ Czech plant. Opinions on Steve Hoffman seem a bit variable re the mastering and pressing, but some mention pressed by GZ as OK (I have others made by GZ that are good pressings). They seem to be properly licensed from Blue Note so not DOL or Waxtime rip-offs.

There are some of these reissues that I don't have a decent vinyl copy of that I would like. You seem to think they are at least comparable to the 75's? Are there any other opinions on these here? Most are £20 - £25 in Ray's, anyone know a cheaper source for these Elemental reissues?
Jim

Jazzhouse carry the Elemental issues but they're £18-20 so possibly only a small saving once you factor in postage.

Incidentally I noticed on the Elemental site that they've reissued a chunk of the Xanadu catalogue on CD. Xanadu seems to remain deeply unfashionable (and hence cheap!) but they put out some great records from Sam Noto, Barry Harris and others so nice to see it being reissued and hopefully finding an audience.

I'm wondering if some of the ones just listed on Amazon as Blue Note are the Elemental's. This one as an example for instance: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AMFCIFM/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This has been issued by Elemental in 180g pressing. Problem is Amazon and even more so with market place suppliers in many cases are not specific about who the licensed the reissue. I have though found with the Blue Note 75's that I get an Optimal pressing if ordered from a mainland Europe market place supplier. I suppose I should just take a punt!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I was going to suggest Alan at Jazzhouse. If you order two or three LPs from him in one hit the postage won't be so bad.

Difficult to work out exactly what you are getting on Amazon. I'm sure some of them are Elemental, but could quite easily turn out to be over priced Scorpios. What about Discogs?

BTW, what other titles you are after apart from the McLean link? I didn't realise they'd released the Big John Patton titles. I quite fancy those.......

I was going to suggest Alan at Jazzhouse. If you order two or three LPs from him in one hit the postage won't be so bad.

Difficult to work out exactly what you are getting on Amazon. I'm sure some of them are Elemental, but could quite easily turn out to be over priced Scorpios. What about Discogs?

BTW, what other titles you are after apart from the McLean link? I didn't realise they'd released the Big John Patton titles. I quite fancy those.......

Probably Jackie McLean as above and Destination - Out, Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue, Joe Henderson- In N Out, Lee Morgan - Volume 3.

Strange they picked those Big John Patton titles to reissue over 'Along Came John'?

The only John Patton title I know is Understanding......which I have as a Raregroove and is excellent. I must get to hear some more. McLean's Destination Out is essential. Good luck tracking those down.

I know nothing about these Elemental reissues. What are they like? Where do they stand in the league table, with MM at the top, 75th mid table, contemporary Blue Note reissues in the relegation zone, and D'Agostini magazine reissues struggling to get a hold in the Championship?

Getting the thread back on track I am now playing the Jazz 33 reissue that I picked up from my Newsagent today. Louis Armstrong plays W.C. Handy originally a 1954 Mono, but excellent sound quality particularly with regard to the recording of Louis and Velma Middleton's voices. I think although this was still issued in 1954 this was the second cover. I think the first was just an orange and black cover with a photo of Louis?

Next issue will be The Gil Evans Orchestra - 'Out of the Cool.

Now realise I posted this in the wrong thread, should have been in Jazz 33. Doh.:(

I know nothing about these Elemental reissues. What are they like? Where do they stand in the league table, with MM at the top, 75th mid table, contemporary Blue Note reissues in the relegation zone, and D'Agostini magazine reissues struggling to get a hold in the Championship?

I had no idea about them either so that was why I was asking the same question. From what I have found out so far they vary a bit, but are comparable to BN75's Optimal pressings if you get a GZ pressing. I can confirm the GZ pressings are generally quiet. They are probably sourced from a high res digital copy though, as are the 75's in most cases.

I will get around to ordering a couple soon to try.

I have found the DeAgostino's to be better than the 75's in most cases where I have duplicates, unfortunately I don't have any MM's.

I played my Elemental copy of Dialogue last night and I would say on a par with Optimal 75th. Nice, chamber like jazz with three Hill compositions.

advertisement

Back