advertisement

BLUE NOTE 75TH ANNIVERSARY VINYL REISSUES

They look interesting...

Blue Note said:
Two years ago, we decided to begin remastering the jewels of the Blue Note catalog in hi-def resolutions of 96k and 192k. In order to develop a guiding artistic philosophy for this delicate endeavor, we donned our lab coats, ran dozens of sonic experiments and carefully referenced every generation of our reissues. Ultimately, we decided that our goal would be to protect the original intentions of the artists, producers and engineers who made these records and that, in the case of pre-digital-era albums, these intentions were best represented by the sound and feel of their first-edition vinyl releases. Working with a team of dedicated and groovy engineers, we found a sound that both captured the feel of the original records while maintaining the depth and transparency of the master tapes... the new remasters are really cool!

It looks like they may have (thankfully) abandoned the RVG Edition approach of dramatically altering the original sound and intent. I'll be very interested in the results. There's a fair few titles there I'd like to grab for sure.

Looks pretty pretty pretty good.100 albums
blue-note-75-530.jpg

These will be interesting, in particular to compare them with the many recent all analogue remasters by the likes of Classic Records and MM.

The info from Was Not Don Was suggests they're using Alan Yoshida's hi-res digital masterings for these. £16.99 post-free pre-orders on Amazon, with April 7th release date for the first batch.

some stuff that hasn't been on the reissue schedule for some time, esp Don Cherry and Ornette's New York is now. Nice to see the Cecil Taylor, Andrew Hill and Bobby Hutcherson titles (highly recommend Components and Black fire). I'm also interested in the McLeans.

I've ordered Speak No Evil just to get an idea of quality. I'll be able to compare it to Hires and Music Matters (where tape wear seems evident).

Michael Fremer talks to mastering engineer Bernie Grundman about transferring to high resolution digital
the Blue Note catalog and the upcoming Blue Note $19.95 vinyl series cut from the high resolution transfers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your last posts Gerard. Analogplanet review confirming what I suspected. Still awaiting my copy of Speak No Evil.

advertisement

Back