advertisement

Bloomin bathroom sink unit

zippy

pfm Member
About 10 years ago I installed a new sink unit in the bathroom - the type with cabinet under the sink.
I think it came from Homebase.

For some crazy reason the designers saw fit to make the doors out of mdf. Despite being a laquered finish the water has got into the mdf and swollen the doors which are now coming apart at the edges.

I've tried looking for replacement doors but cannot find any of the right size.
I could attempt to make replacements I suppose if my skills are up to it, preferably not mdf this time.

Any other suggestions - I don't want to replace the whole unit unless I have to.

Just recently chucked away 2 of those doors in perfect nick !! A very common problem with these mdf doors . I think making replacements is only option . I recently repaired a mdf kitchen door where the hinges had worn out the screwholes , i used epoxy resin filler in the holes and rescrewed them and now very strong . I guess possibly rubbing down the gloss finish and painting with this may help and filling in imperfections with epoxy resin

https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/750ml-johnstones-revive-cupboard-paint-4839319?model_id=4948179

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.co...MIs66th5CC5AIVDbTtCh2zqQoKEAQYFCABEgK6UfD_BwE

A local carpenter will make up doors if you can't. I've seen a few companies that do things for kitchens and the like.

I use marine ply in wet environments, birch faced where it will only get damp occasionally.

The kitchen's done 30 years now and the marine ply draining board is fine, might benefit from a revarnish next winter.

The birch faced will expand eventually if wet; unfortunately one drawer was open last time we had a bathroom overflow. It took a couple of months for that drawer to dry out enough to shut.

Maybe I should have given it a bit more clearance.

go to your local glass shop and get a nice frosted glass door made, with all the holes etc for hinges, handle and catch

or some crazy reason the designers saw fit to make the doors out of mdf. Despite being a laquered finish the water has got into the mdf and swollen the doors which are now coming apart at the edges.

they want you to replace. !0 years is good for bathroom cupboard - time for a refresh......

If you are after wrapped laminate, this company has supplied replacement kitchen doors for many of my customers over the years.

They are relatively cheap, plenty of choice, drill blum hinge apertures (concealed hinge) they even supply cornice, pelmits blah., blah if you fancy having a go at the kitchen unit door

https://kitchenandbedroomdoors.co.uk/

Bloss

I would expect to get far more than 10 years life if the unit has not been flooded.

Bloss

my comment is not about how long it lasts, but how long you want to live with it, without refreshing to new decor - Our last basin and stand lasted about 10 years, and it would have gone on for longer (although it was showing signs of water damage), but we wanted an aesthetic refresh.

I've never really understood why a lot of people change the whole door or whatever rather than just paint them to coordinate.

We had a couple of wooden, kitchen cupboard doors get invaded by termites.
Removed and inspected but too far gone.
Used them as templates for new ones cut from frosted acrylic that was lying around ( reclaimed and stored from something else), actually look pretty decent.

I stayed in a holiday cottage recently , it was a bit damp and everyone of the kitchen doors which were not that old had delaminated . it was just hanging off !! i called the owner in rather upset in case i was blamed for it. These bathroom cabinets these days are just pretty cheap and mass produced and they don`t last as long as they should

Do you have an 'old guys' shed' near you? We have one attached to the local old folks community centre, the blokes there have plenty of wood and time to make you some doors on the cheap, may even have an ex-carpenter there.

Make some new ones from MRMDF that's moisture resistant MDF, paint them well after nocking off all the sharp corners, and they should last.
Mine have.

Pete

First point is don't splash about so much, but what about solid wood doors painted white made of that horizontal slatted stuff?

advertisement

Back