advertisement

Bloody He'll The Kinks

The essentials are Something Else, Face to Face, The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society, Arthur, Lola vs Powerman and The Moneygoround Pt 1, and Muswell Hillbillies. After that you'll want to fill in with the earlier ones. If you buy them on CD, you may get Percy included with the Lola set.

Village Green is a great album- way ahead of its time.

Village Green is a great album- way ahead of its time.

It's one of those albums where, every time a song starts, I think "this one's my favorite", until the next one starts, then that one's my new favorite.

This song was particularly prophetic.

What you got with the Kinks IMO is the totally brilliant Ray Davies and then a bunch oif lads who were about average or less at actually playing their instruments. Further Rays voice is quite dodgy (characterful and edgy might be a generous description) and so the records (and recordings) were fairly dodgy. Compare to the Beatles for example and all the gloss goes. In one way that suits Davies' writing style. It is what is is, but I sometimes wonder what may have been if RD had formed a supergroup of blokes (and or women ofc) who could actually play and sing :)

That said 'Waterloo Sunset' is 'our' song, so one of the 60's very best.

advertisement

Back