advertisement

Bloody He'll The Kinks

With bells on!

Waterloo Sunset-possibly the greatest song of all time, gives me goose bumps every time it is played.
Funny enough driving home from our kids house waterloo sunset came on the radio and i said just that to the wife. ‘As Long as I gaze on waterloo sunset, i am in paradise..’ love that line!

My impression of the Kinks’ music that it wasn’t that well recorded, compared with many of the
Sixties groups.
Still love them, though.

I've always really liked The Kinks but, in terms of my collection, they're the British Ramones - like them but don't have a single record by them.

What would you say are the essential Kinks records - no compilation - to guide some Spotify listening and then maybe a couple of vinyl purchases.

Kevin

I’m listening to the Someting Else to Muswell Hillbillies period a lot, it’s high quality music by any standard.

What would you say are the essential Kinks records - no compilation - to guide some Spotify listening and then maybe a couple of vinyl purchases.

I know you said no compilations, but that's what I'd get. Apart from a compilation the only 'proper' Kinks LP I have is Lola versus Powerman. That's ok, but the singles were where they were at in the 60s/early 70s - IMHO of course.

I worked through most of their albums from the earliest to the mid-70's but stopped at Schoolboys in Disgrace as I was finding them less and less to my liking. I think Everybody's in Showbiz was the last of them that I really enjoyed fully, with the later ones getting a bit patchy.

I quite like Schoolboys in Disgrace - side 2 is pretty strong and 'No More Looking Back' a great tune.

I've always really liked The Kinks but, in terms of my collection, they're the British Ramones - like them but don't have a single record by them.

Kevin

The essentials are Something Else, Face to Face, The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society, Arthur, Lola vs Powerman and The Moneygoround Pt 1, and Muswell Hillbillies. After that you'll want to fill in with the earlier ones. If you buy them on CD, you may get Percy included with the Lola set.

I bought this when I was 16, never really had anything else of their's even though I really like it. Agree with above RE: Ramones factor.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I just tend to buy the “best of” albums This one includes , really got me ,all day &all night ,tired of waiting,Lola etc on it
All good songs

advertisement

Back