advertisement

Bloody hell, a £5 DAC!

PhilDick

pfm Member
I have just received one of these in the post from Ebay;

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=331502297568

I bought it to convert the optical out from the TV for the hifi.

Anyway just for fun I connected it to the optical out of my cd player played a disc and switched back and forth between the two inputs on the pre. Apart from a slight difference in level (the DAC was louder) I could not tell any difference!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I think it uses the Burrbrown DAC that is also used in the Apple TV and Airport Express. Came with an optical cable too, right?

It's very good for the money, I have brought a few of these for friends and family for getting sound from a TV to an amp. They do the job nicely. Not exactly high end HIFI and the Maplin DAC at £50 is clearly better. But for £5.95 with a walwart and an optical cable, you can't go wrong.

In fact, this £5 DAC is better than a Dacmagic Asur to my ears, the Dacmagic is more detailed but has a shrill, ear pricing treble that can border on painful at even modest volumes. This little gem is much more balanced.

Tenson, Apple TV has no internal DAC, it only has toslink and HDMI outputs. It's a cracking little unit for the money though.

I bought the Maplin one a while ago at £25 but clearly the arse has fallen out of the DAC market. Regarding the Telly, I got the thing for a partially deaf relative to run her wireless headphones off a new TV with no analogue outputs.

What I found was that the scart input on the back actually supplied a stereo analogue out when a scart to RCA converter was plugged into it, contrary to expectations.
There was me blowing £25 on a high end dac needlessly. When I have time I will organise a bakeoff comparing the telly's internal dac with the £25 one. PM me if interested, five places on a strictly first come first served basis.

Ahh okay, the ones I brought came with a three pin UK walwart for the same money. Same DAC though. I haven't brough one since last year though.

I have one of those DACs, with a decent linear PSU, it beats my Arcam rPAC on lower frequencies. :)

I spotted a 24/192 DAC that does optical, coax and USB has a headphone amp with volume control on the Keene website for £34 today... Bonkers!

advertisement

Back