advertisement

Blood Donation.

My next donation is scheduled for the 28th August, but today I got an email from the Authority asking if I had had Covid 19. Of course this is unanswerable, except to the degree that I had the symptoms and self-isolated, and on talking to the Herefordshire County Hospital on the phone was thought to be in a state requiring rapid hospitalisation. I declined - preferring to die at home if the truth is told.

I had a high temperature, severe muscular pain across the neck and upper back, no smell, tightness of breath, but actually no significant cough, beyond my usual productive smoker's cough. I enjoy ten or so roll-ups a day ...

They asked me if I could report the the County Hospital immediately, and I replied that I could not. It is fourteen miles away and many hills on the way [on a bike in an unwell state], and the buses from my small town would not start til seven am next day. They offered an ambulance, but I declined and said that I would call 999 if I felt worse. I had ten clear days off, and returned to work feeling somewhat worn out, but definitely better. I clarified the position with my GP about returning to work. That was in March.

I am minded to donate my Plasma which seems to be somewhat needed given the nature of the email from the Blood Authority. I might also get an antibody test out of it, though by now this might only tell of my T-cell condition, which is a complex test.

Just twopence worth of an update. Best wishes from George

[Edit] PS: It seem that the Doctors are using Plasma from those who have recovered to treat those severely ill with the disease to boost their immune system with the anti-bodies [including T-cells] in the Plasma. I would be very gratified to be part of this. Apparently one can donate Plasma once a fortnight ...

Overcoming my fear of needles I offered my blood some years ago
They didn't want it. Gout if I remember right

But you don’t know if you had it.

Dear Bob,

Absolutely, I do not know for certain. I wrote as much in post 62 just above. However, it seems to be likely. Plus having had the symptoms is enough for men but not women to be considered for Plasma donation. They test the Plasma for anti-bodies ... Apparently evidence has shown that women have a weaker anti-body reaction to infection.

The main issue for me is not volunteering, but that the nearest Plasma centres are in Birmingham and Gloucester. Both are a multi-leg bus and train journey away, so the logistics are terrible, if not impossible. In my caution, I am not prepared to use trains or buses currently, except in emergency. And I cannot see how it is possible to socially distance in a Taxi, which in any case would be prohibitively expensive.

So the decision is that I shall not pursue this line and stick with normal blood donation which only involves a mile plus distance on a cycle.

Best wishes from George

I’ve discovered it is worth checking the appointments list at regular intervals. After my first donation the earliest slot available was four months away. After a few weeks of re-checking I’ve now managed to book one for the second day after my obligatory rest period ends. I want to keep my appointments as close together as possible, as I want to earn one of their little badge thingys before I’m too old to remember what it signifies. And like George, I have no great desire to travel into central Brum for a walk-in appointment at present.

Don't understand this. By inference, any U.K. born and resident citizen after the seventies is excluded from giving blood? Surely not. Neither can I see any connection possible with mad cow disease; scary at the time but ultimately comparatively small beer.
My wife and I currently love in Toronto, Canada. We can no longer donate blood as we lived in the UK during the bse times.

My wife and I currently love in Toronto, Canada.

Congratulations on your love life. :D I had to go back to my post and saw that it was posted on the day the U.K. locked down (march 23rd). As my friend, who was here throughout the BSE times, regularly gave blood, before, during and after it, I doubt that restriction applied here. Odd that it should apply elsewhere. I think (but not sure) that it wasn't just a U.K./British thing either. Could be wrong here, though.

I do vaguely remember avoiding McDonald's on my travels at the time though they emphatically denied any connection with possible sources of tainted beef.

My wife and I currently love in Toronto, Canada. We can no longer donate blood as we lived in the UK during the bse times.
That was one of the questions on the Swiss blood donation form - "Were you resident in the UK between X and Y?" I wasn't, so I was a donor until I hit the maximum age limit(65).

Sorry about the "love", of course meant live BUT then with Boris over the Atlantic and Trump to the south maybe "love' Toronto is correct.
Cheers
J

I’ve been donating for years on and off. I use the app to book appointments which can be tricky with shift work.
It’s a bit of my time for which I get a tea and a biscuit!

There are several countries that will still not accept blood donations from Brits because of the CJD scare.
Anyone living in the UK or EU for 6 months or more between 1980 and 1997 cannot give blood in Australia, Canada or the USA.

The local [cycling or walking distance] donation centre has re-opened in my town. So I can start again! I was not happy to use public transport to get to Hereford to donate, so have been out of the loop for a while.

Appointment booked for the first week of July ...

Best wishes from George

There are several countries that will still not accept blood donations from Brits because of the CJD scare.
Anyone living in the UK or EU for 6 months or more between 1980 and 1997 cannot give blood in Australia, Canada or the USA.
The French won't take my tainted UK blood. The Italians are happy to. Someone in Napoli now has some of my blood, I hope they have put it to good use.

I've been asked if I would donate my plasma. I had Covid in January and they are keen to get some of my antibodies. Sadly, for them after recovery from the virus I had a colonoscopy and that precludes me from donating until June.

Euan

As someone who’s been on the receiving end more than once just wanted to say a thank you to everyone that donates!

advertisement

Back